Re: terminals and weird fonts

    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 25, 2013
      > displaying that in an xterm, it appears to be either the word 'glitch'
      > or 'giitch' with "funny stuff" atop each letter. My font setting is
      > [...]

      The "g" is actually a capital "G".
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 25, 2013
        On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 09:07:34PM -0000, thad_floryan wrote:
        > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, ed <ed@...> wrote:
        > > For a couple of days I've been pondering the big question,
        > >
        > > "what is the best terminal?"
        >
        > Hi Ed,
        >
        > Simple. xterm locally, and putty for accessing remote systems.
        >
        > > So, everyone, what terminal do you use and why not another. Or, are
        > > you one of the lucky people out there who doesn't really mind and
        > > any will do?
        > >
        > > The observant out there will notice the subject of this mail is
        > > "terminals and weird fonts". There's a reason for that. Does your
        > > terminal/config display:
        > >
        > > Ǧ͋͋ł͋͋ǐ͋͋ť͋͋č͋͋ȟ͋͋

        Oddly, this hasn't come back as the string 'Glitch'. The header of your
        mail appeared to me as charset=ISO-8859-1. The mail I sent was
        charset=utf-8. I guess it was lost in translation.

        > > xterm can, but only using certain fonts. urxvt does too, but
        > > appears to do a good job when using font definitions that xterm
        > > fails with.
        >
        > Using the world's best tool, emacs, I examined the first 6 characters
        > of your list and emacs describes them as the following:

        World's best tool? I thought it was the world's best operating system
        (just missing a text editor) :).

        > Char: Ç (2247, #o4307, #x8c7, file #xC7) point=157 of 331 (47%) column=0
        > Char: ¦ (2214, #o4246, #x8a6, file #xA6) point=158 of 331 (47%) column=1
        > Char: Í (2253, #o4315, #x8cd, file #xCD) point=159 of 331 (48%) column=2
        > Char: ‹ (342457, #o1234671, #x539b9) point=160 of 331 (48%) column=3
        > Char: Í (2253, #o4315, #x8cd, file #xCD) point=161 of 331 (48%) column=4
        > Char: ‹ (342457, #o1234671, #x539b9) point=162 of 331 (49%) column=5
        >
        > As you can see by the character codes in decimal, octal, and hex,
        > those are 16 to, perhaps, 24 or 32 bit characters.

        A simple ASCII string it is not.

        > "Standard" ASCII is normally 7 or 8 bits; I have *NO* use for anything
        > else language-wise since I don't read/speak/write any of the Asian,
        > Middle Eastern, or South Pacific languages nor do I read/speak/write
        > Martian. :-)

        ponimyou po rusky(!)

        > FWIW, Emacs offered to save the text buffer into which I copy'n'pasted
        > your gibberish line as any of:
        >
        > utf-8 utf-16 utf-16 utf-16 utf-16be utf-16le
        >
        > with the default being mule-utf-8.
        >
        > Out of curiosity, what [multiple?] encoding is that line of gibberish?

        To me it is just a handy string that I paste into a term to see if my
        environment is going to render it as 'Glitch' or not. I believe it to be
        UTF8. If rendered well, it is one indicator for the environment being
        setup well. Another is the easy detection of P and F in the following,
        if it is hard to tell the F from P and M from W then the font is less
        than easy for the eye.

        PFPFPFPF MWMWMWMW

        The Deja Vu mono space font doesn't fair well at this, for me anyway.

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 25, 2013
          On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 08:10:19PM +0100, Ed wrote:
          > For a couple of days I've been pondering the big question,
          >
          > "what is the best terminal?"
          >
          > So, everyone, what terminal do you use and why not another. Or, are you
          > one of the lucky people out there who doesn't really mind and any will
          > do?

          My favorite is urxvt. I needed one to do Japanese, and use it with
          Terminus fonts.

          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 25, 2013
            --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, ed <ed@...> wrote:
            > > > [...]
            > > > Ǧ͋͋ł͋͋ǐ͋͋ť͋͋č͋͋ȟ͋͋
            >
            > Oddly, this hasn't come back as the string 'Glitch'. The header of
            > your mail appeared to me as charset=ISO-8859-1. The mail I sent was
            > charset=utf-8. I guess it was lost in translation.

            Huh? Even just now copy'n'pasting the above displays as 'Glitch' in
            an xterm with "funny stuff" atop each letter so nothing is getting
            "lost" in translation.

            Note that 99.99999% of the time I reply using the Yahoo web interface
            and it's usually only when I create a new thread that I post either
            directly from within Emacs or from Thunderbird depending on whether
            it's a short missive or something I copy'n'pasted and cobbled-up in
            Emacs (esp. when I need to reformat to <= 72 char lines to prevent
            Yahoo doing its normal message mangling mess).

            > [... re: line of gibberish ...]
            > To me it is just a handy string that I paste into a term to see if
            > my environment is going to render it as 'Glitch' or not. I believe
            > it to be UTF8. If rendered well, it is one indicator for the
            > environment being setup well.

            Interesting! I already saved it for just that purpose.

            How did you originally create it (or did you "liberate" it from
            someplace)?

            > Another is the easy detection of P and F in the following,
            > if it is hard to tell the F from P and M from W then the font is
            > less than easy for the eye.
            >
            > PFPFPFPF MWMWMWMW

            Good point. I have a very hi-res monitor with incredible color
            performance that I use to judge entries in photo contents (mostly
            astronomy photos) such as this one (which was the last one due to
            the cost of prices and subsequent lack of sponsors) because of the
            three judges I have the best color perception which my eye doctor
            also confirmed running some tests at his expense for research:

            http://www.darkatmospheres.com/contest/2008/

            > The Deja Vu mono space font doesn't fair well at this, for me
            > anyway.

            I just had to check in OpenOffice. Yeah, Deje Vu (24 varietires) is
            not a font I've used though it looks like Calibri which I use a lot as
            small captions on photos.

            Note I have some 10,000 fonts available and there are at least well
            over 100,000 available free on the 'Bet. I cross-copy fonts between
            my Linux and Windows systems so I have the same ones on every system.

            I probably should post another font-related article since there are a
            LARGE number of new free fonts and sites since my last articles:

            Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:02 pm
            HOWTO new fonts for CentOS and other RHEL derivatives

            Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:18 am
            Suggestions/thoughts sought for CentOS Firefox font issues

            Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:40 am
            Re: Suggestions/thoughts sought for CentOS Firefox font issues

            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 25, 2013
              > Good point. I have a very hi-res monitor with incredible color
              > performance that I use to judge entries in photo contents (mostly
              > astronomy photos) such as this one (which was the last one due to
              > the cost of prices and subsequent lack of sponsors) because of the
              > three judges I have the best color perception which my eye doctor
              > also confirmed running some tests at his expense for research:
              >
              > http://www.darkatmospheres.com/contest/2008/
              > [...]

              Too many typos in my reply (having a sandwich in one hand while typing
              with my right hand). The above paragraph is really bad, should be:

              Good point. I have a very hi-res monitor with incredible color
              performance that I use to judge entries in photo contests (mostly
              ^
              astronomy photos) such as this one (which was the last one due to
              the cost of prizes and subsequent lack of sponsors) because of the
              ^
              [...]

              Thad
            • C. Beck
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 25, 2013
                On Jun 25, 2013 2:10 PM, "ed" <ed@...> wrote:

                > For a couple of days I've been pondering the big question,
                >
                > "what is the best terminal?"
                >
                > So, everyone, what terminal do you use and why not another. Or, are you
                > one of the lucky people out there who doesn't really mind and any will
                > do?

                I guess I am probably one of the lucky ones, though I think it is xterm or
                whatever the Debian default was 5 years ago. I generally just have my
                terminal set to open with CNTRL + T and only check the name when I do an
                install on a new system.

                'Better Terminal Emulator' (aka BTE), the Dalvik program for android is
                what I use most often since I am frequently on the go with only my phone or
                tablet handy to call home. The anguish of trying to type a simple command
                on one of these auto-correcting keyboards leaves no love for the program...
                though the environment of BTE is not particularly obnoxious.

                > The observant out there will notice the subject of this mail is
                > "terminals and weird fonts". There's a reason for that. Does your
                > terminal/config display:

                Since I am on my phone at the moment, I can confirm BTE is unable to
                display that string. It looks like 'titc' with various accents in my
                mail viewer.