Re: [linux] HOWTO fix Google's tracking URLs returned after a search

    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 23, 2013
      On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 05:54:16AM -0700, Thad Floryan wrote:

      > There is a Firefox addon plugin that instantly fixes the tracking URLs
      > and restores sanity to the Internet; the addon is named:
      >
      > Google/Yandex search link fix 1.4
      >
      > and you can see here how I have it within Firefox on ALL my systems:
      >
      > http://thadlabs.com/PIX/google_URL_fixer_Firefox_addon.jpg 74kB
      >
      > With that plugin installed in Firefox, doing
      >
      > right-click -> Copy Link Location

      Thank you. That has annoyed me for awhile. They need to add it to google
      chrome. :)
      One quick demo--searching for a review of a particular tv show
      and getting a link to the hollywood reporter.
      From chromium

      https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CCwQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hollywoodreporter.com%2Freview%2Fsinbad-primeval-new-world-tv-565019&ei=pQ7HUZqJKeLs0gHH4YGQDQ&usg=AFQjCNHKyipKwIlL9KJ6hLwy5_Ejp7mRnw&bvm=bv.48293060,d.dmQ

      From firefox with the plugin

      http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/sinbad-primeval-new-world-tv-565019

      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 23, 2013
        --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
        > On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 05:54:16AM -0700, Thad Floryan wrote:
        > > [...]
        > > There is a Firefox addon plugin that instantly fixes the tracking
        > > URLs and restores sanity to the Internet; the addon is named:
        > >
        > > Google/Yandex search link fix 1.4
        > >
        > > and you can see here how I have it within Firefox on ALL my
        > > systems:
        > >
        > > http://thadlabs.com/PIX/google_URL_fixer_Firefox_addon.jpg 74kB
        > >
        > > With that plugin installed in Firefox, doing
        > >
        > > right-click -> Copy Link Location
        >
        > Thank you. That has annoyed me for awhile.

        Hi Scott,

        You're very welcome!

        I've previously embedded tips like the above en passant in messages
        and perhaps you haven't noticed it before.

        Clearly an explicit posting containing solely the information I wish
        to share with others works [ you took the bait! :-) ] and I'll do that
        for all future HOWTOs and TIPs since it's clearly an effective way to
        catch people's attention.

        > They need to add it to google chrome. :)

        I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it! :-)

        One of my neighbors works for YouTube (a Google acquisition) and I'll
        ask him to ask Sergey and Larry to remove the Google tracking info at
        our July 4th BBQ -- can't hurt to ask! :-)

      • Michael Klinosky
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 23, 2013
          On 06/23/2013 04:05 PM, thad_floryan wrote:
          > One of my neighbors works for YouTube (a Google acquisition) and I'll
          > ask him to ask Sergey and Larry to remove the Google tracking info at
          > our July 4th BBQ -- can't hurt to ask! :-)

          YouTube?! Nice! :)
          How about tossing in a suggestion for that website? I *really* dislike
          that videos auto-play. Please mention that a toggle (to set a cookie) to
          control that would be much appreciated.

          I'm sure that a lot of other people would use it. I don't necessarily
          watch a video when I load it (usually from Facebook).
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 23, 2013
            --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Michael Klinosky <mpk2@...> wrote:

            > On 06/23/2013 04:05 PM, thad_floryan wrote:
            > > One of my neighbors works for YouTube (a Google acquisition) and
            > > I'll ask him to ask Sergey and Larry to remove the Google tracking
            > > info at our July 4th BBQ -- can't hurt to ask! :-)
            >
            > YouTube?! Nice! :)

            Hi Michael,

            Heh; he also raises honeybees in his back yard; I just use mine for
            volleyball and telescopes:

            http://thadlabs.com/PIX/backyard.jpg 87kB

            http://thadlabs.com/PIX/LX200/

            > How about tossing in a suggestion for that website? I *really*
            > dislike that videos auto-play.

            Ditto. And it was really bad with the 'Frisco Chronicle's website
            such that I had to disable autostart using my /etc/hosts file:

            [...]
            # "static" DHCP addresses for LAN laptops
            #
            172.20.20.100 tlinux2
            172.20.20.101 thadd600

            # auto-start video sites used by SFGate beginning Sept. 2011
            # they can't be stopped so this will do it for us. :-)
            #
            127.0.0.1 embed.newsinc.com assets.newsinc.com analytics.newsinc.com
            127.0.0.1 truveo.com
            127.0.0.1 xml.truveo.com
            127.0.0.1 www.truveo.com
            [...]

            > Please mention that a toggle (to set a cookie) to control that
            > would be much appreciated.
            >
            > I'm sure that a lot of other people would use it. I don't
            > necessarily watch a video when I load it (usually from Facebook).

            Great idea; I'll pass it along though I wouldn't hold my breath
            waiting for it to be implemented. I'll bet the answer will be
            something like "... our research shows that autostart videos increases
            our ad-malware income by 3.9% so Sergey can buy another 787 for Google
            and park it at Moffett Federal Airfield."

            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moffett_Federal_Airfield

            That used to be Moffett Naval Air Station and it's only 4 miles from
            my home. Google's HQ borders that airstrip.

            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 23, 2013
              On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 08:05:43PM -0000, Thad Floryan wrote:
              > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
              > > On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 05:54:16AM -0700, Thad Floryan wrote:
              > > > [...]
              > > > There is a Firefox addon plugin that instantly fixes the tracking
              > > > URLs and restores sanity to the Internet; the addon is named:
              > > >
              > > > Google/Yandex search link fix 1.4
              > > >
              > > > and you can see here how I have it within Firefox on ALL my
              > > > systems:
              > > >
              > > > http://thadlabs.com/PIX/google_URL_fixer_Firefox_addon.jpg 74kB
              > > >
              > > > With that plugin installed in Firefox, doing
              > > >
              > > > right-click -> Copy Link Location
              > >
              > > Thank you. That has annoyed me for awhile.
              >
              > Hi Scott,
              >
              > You're very welcome!
              >
              > I've previously embedded tips like the above en passant in messages
              > and perhaps you haven't noticed it before.

              I did see it last time, but it hadn't annoyed me as much at that time. :)

              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 23, 2013
                On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 04:14:41PM -0400, Michael Klinosky wrote:
                > On 06/23/2013 04:05 PM, thad_floryan wrote:
                > > One of my neighbors works for YouTube (a Google acquisition) and I'll
                > > ask him to ask Sergey and Larry to remove the Google tracking info at
                > > our July 4th BBQ -- can't hurt to ask! :-)
                >
                > YouTube?! Nice! :)
                > How about tossing in a suggestion for that website? I *really* dislike
                > that videos auto-play. Please mention that a toggle (to set a cookie) to
                > control that would be much appreciated.
                >
                > I'm sure that a lot of other people would use it. I don't necessarily
                > watch a video when I load it (usually from Facebook).

                You know that you can set firefox and chrome to not autoplay?
                I forget where the setting is, but it's documented all over the place--just
                do a quick google for turn off auto play firefox and it should pop up.
                (No pun intended)

                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 23, 2013
                  > Great idea; I'll pass it along though I wouldn't hold my breath
                  > waiting for it to be implemented. I'll bet the answer will be
                  > something like "... our research shows that autostart videos increases
                  > our ad-malware income by 3.9% so Sergey can buy another 787 for Google
                  > and park it at Moffett Federal Airfield."
                  >
                  > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moffett_Federal_Airfield
                  >
                  > That used to be Moffett Naval Air Station and it's only 4 miles from
                  > my home. Google's HQ borders that airstrip.

                  Off-topic so this is short:

                  In the paragraph "Private Aircraft" on that Wikipedia page we see:

                  " Moffett Airfield is home to H211, LLC, owned by Google founders
                  " Larry Page and Sergey Brin. Through the LLC they pay $1.3
                  " million a year to NASA to park their Boeing 767-200 and other
                  " Gulfstream V jets. In addition, the airplanes have also had
                  " scientific equipment installed by NASA to allow for experiments
                  " to be run in flight.
                  "
                  " Lockheed Martin and Jon Stark, a helicopter operator, also have
                  " use of the airfield.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 23, 2013
                    --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
                    > [...]
                    > You know that you can set firefox and chrome to not autoplay?
                    > I forget where the setting is, but it's documented all over the
                    > place -- just do a quick google for turn off auto play firefox and it
                    > should pop up. (No pun intended)

                    Great suggestion; thank you!

                    Searching "how to disable autoplay video in firefox" found these and
                    one is for Chrome, too (the 3rd hit and 3rd in the list below):

                    https://support.mozilla.org/questions/961940

                    http://support.mozilla.org/questions/747145

                    http://internet.wonderhowto.com/how-to/disable-annoying-autoplay-media-chrome-firefox-safari-and-internet-explorer-0139641/

                    There are the proverbial ton of additional hits for which I don't have
                    time to see if they all have the same solution(s).