Google and NASA getting together...

  • Joan Leach
    Message 1 of 5 , May 22, 2013
      I've seen a few hints about pushing for artificial intelligence lately, is that more of what was in Wired?
      Also, Google cars with artificial car2car NET, and senators wanting security and anti-virus...they sure don't know Linux are in those chips...Register.com
      Joan in Reno

      Message 2 of 5 , May 22, 2013
        --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Joan Leach <jleach728@...> wrote:

        > I've seen a few hints about pushing for artificial intelligence
        > lately, is that more of what was in Wired?

        WIRED, DISCOVER, MIT Technology Review, and many other places.

        > Also, Google cars with artificial car2car NET, and senators wanting
        > security and anti-virus...they sure don't know Linux are in those
        > chips...Register.com

        Hi Joan,

        Did you mean http://www.theregister.co.uk/ ?

        Any specific article cites (e.g., the URLs)?

        Thad
      • jleach728@sbcglobal.net
        Message 3 of 5 , May 22, 2013

          > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Joan Leach <jleach728@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I've seen a few hints about pushing for artificial intelligence
          > > lately, is that more of what was in Wired?
          >
          > WIRED, DISCOVER, MIT Technology Review, and many other places.
          >
          > > Also, Google cars with artificial car2car NET, and senators wanting
          > > security and anti-virus...they sure don't know Linux are in those
          > > chips...Register.com
          >
          > Hi Joan,
          >
          > Did you mean http://www.theregister.co.uk/ ?
          >
          > Any specific article cites (e.g., the URLs)?
          >
          > Thad

          http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/05/17/google_ai_hogwash/

          http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/05/17/usa_car_network_security_research/

          I forget the whole address, since I get them in my Yahoo mail. I'm starting to make files for my tabs and lists, since I'm thinking of using Google's Chromium a bit less and getting back to Firefox, or something else. It won't be as fancy as your grid, but I'm trying.

          Joan in Reno
          Message 4 of 5 , May 23, 2013
            --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, "jleach728@..." <jleach728@...> wrote:
            > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, "thad_floryan" <thad@> wrote:
            > > [...]
            > > Hi Joan,
            > >
            > > Did you mean http://www.theregister.co.uk/ ?
            > >
            > > Any specific article cites (e.g., the URLs)?
            > >
            > > Thad
            >
            > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/05/17/google_ai_hogwash/
            >
            > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/05/17/usa_car_network_security_research/
            >
            > I forget the whole address, since I get them in my Yahoo mail. I'm
            > starting to make files for my tabs and lists, since I'm thinking of
            > using Google's Chromium a bit less and getting back to Firefox, or
            > something else. It won't be as fancy as your grid, but I'm trying.

            Hi Joan,

            I'd be happy to email you a ZIP of the 5 files I use for my local
            "home" pages that work with ANY modern browser -- they no longer work
            well with, say, the lynx [text-only] browser for which I composed my
            original web pages back in 1993.

            You might want to simply copy this file:

            http://thadlabs.com/NEWS.htm

            and use it as a model per your requirements. That NEWS.htm file is
            the simplest one I have and you'll notice that each button comprises
            only 3 simple and straightforward lines of HTML that can be easily
            copy'n'pasted again and again to build up a "grid" of whatever size
            and complexity you might need without even using tables (though there
            is a simple table at the beginning solely to display "NEWS" in a large
            font with 2 lines of text to its right).

            If you want to get complex, click this one:

            http://thadlabs.com/view-bracket.htm

            which has some "interesting" tricks as does this one for a very
            popular astronomy site I originally mirrored and now host:

            http://thadlabs.com/MAPUG/

            I use a lot of tables and some CSS in this one:

            http://thadlabs.com/PIX/LX200/

            Two good sites for FREE self-paced learning about HTML are these:

            http://www.w3schools.com/
            and
            http://htmldog.com/

            BTW, all my web pages pass the W3C (World Wide Web Consortium, the
            folks who create and set the HTML standards) page validator at:

            http://validator.w3.org/

            Long or protracted discussions about HTML would be off-topic for the
            linux group but would be perfect here (noting several linux folks
            besides myself are members of the "-webdesigners" group also noting
            it's about as old as the linux group (1998-1999)):

            Message 5 of 5 , May 23, 2013
              --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, "jleach728@..." <jleach728@...> wrote:
              > [...]
              > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/05/17/google_ai_hogwash/
              >
              > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/05/17/usa_car_network_security_research/
              > [...]

              I just now looked at that article where a Google clown is clearly not
              up to what's happening in the real world. As I cited earlier in the
              other thread you started Wednesday:

              " [...]
              " My guess: remotely-piloted and/or autonomous drones observing
              " everyone as they're outside playing, having a BBQ, or walking the
              " dog. "Public" surveillance is becoming ubiquitous and most, if not
              " all, of it is being operated by Linux-based systems including even
              " flying microdrones the size of a bumblebee or horse fly. I have
              " links to articles and videos describing and showing such devices in
              " operation. We're rapidly reaching the state of robots being
              " insinuated into our lives and likely taking over as envisioned in
              " the TERMINATOR movie franchise.
              "
              " Artificial cognizance is here; this article is almost scary in the
              " June 2013 issue of DISCOVER, page 52: "Minding the Machines". It
              " describes the neural chip (think of Asimov's positronic brain or the
              " SKYNET as portrayed in the TERMINATOR movie franchise) which already
              " exists and is being used. The l-o-n-g article describes the 530
              " billion neurons and 100 trillion synapses presently operating as a
              " silicon rendition of the human brain. And this is "simply" what's
              " being made public -- think what DARPA could be doing. Work I was
              " doing at the Electronic Defense Labs in the 1960s still hasn't
              " appeared in the open literature suggesting that the secret labs have
              " technology more than 30+ years ahead of what we see and use today.
              "
              " Add in the article featured in the June 2013 issue of WIRED as seen
              " on the front cover:
              "
              " When the objects around us can talk to one another, the
              " elements of our physical universe will converge and spring
              " to life. In time, this network will grow to fulfill our
              " needs, understand our desires, and enable our dreams.
              "
              " and when that network, fueled by neural chips, decides it wants to
              " be in control, we WILL have the scenarios seen in the TERMINATOR
              " movies.