Why Watching DVDs on Linux is Illegal in the USA

  • Thad Floryan
    Message 1 of 1 , May 22, 2013
      Every day I quickly glance at groups' "new messages" pages even if I'm
      not a member of the group. A few minutes ago I found something very
      interesting in the Yahoo LINUX_Newbies group posted at 6:18pm today
      that caught me by surprise, a link to the How-To-Geek website and this
      article:

      http://www.howtogeek.com/138969/why-watching-dvds-on-linux-is-illegal-in-the-usa/

      That article is dated 1-MARCH-2013 (meaning it's current) and I have
      never found incorrect info on the How-To-Geek site in all the years I
      have visited that site.

      FWIW, I've never bothered playing a movie DVD on a Linux system since
      I have two fully equipped home theater systems -- one in the family
      room and another in a large dedicated movie room -- so I had to check
      if what the article is saying is correct. The article is correct and
      it provides a solution with libdvdcss that you use at your own risk.

      I am not a lawyer and I believe the DMCA to be flawed legislation like
      much that oozes out of the US Congress which I consider to be corrupt,
      so you can guess what I just did. :-)