How computers and computing changed over 50 years

  • Thad Floryan
    Message 1 of 1 , May 20, 2013
      A copy of "COMPUTERS AND AUTOMATION" from 1961 was cited earlier today
      in the Usenet comp.dcom.telecom group due to the data modem ad on page
      2 from the Bell Telephone System.

      A lot of other interesting material appears in the 44-page 6.4MB copy
      of the February 1961 issue available here:

      http://bitsavers.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/pdf/computersAndAutomation/196102.pdf

      The various computer ads are eye-opening: you can see how physically
      large yesteryear's computers actually were.

      I was quite surprised to find an ad (page 16) for Space Technology
      Labs (STL); I feature one of STL's planispheres on my website (scroll
      down to the 4th thumbnail):

      http://thadlabs.com/Planispheres/index.html

      Some of the articles in that 1961 issue bring back memories. The
      Brainiac ad on page 21 ("Make over 200 Small Computing and Reasoning
      Machines") is really a hoot. :-)

      A cartoon on page 28 brought a laugh regarding how computers displace
      humans in the workforce: "Remember the good old days when we could get
      five men for a bowling team?"

      It's amazing how many "name brand" computer companies listed and/or
      advertising in that issue no longer exist. The ad on page 32,
      however, for Lockheed Missiles and Space Division is still current --
      LMSD is still in Sunnyvale CA (Silicon Valley).