Re: [linux] Re: Test, please ignore

    Message 1 of 9 , May 15, 2013
      On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 08:22:04PM -0000, Thad Floryan wrote:
      > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 10:25:45AM -0000, Thad Floryan wrote:
      > > > [...]
      > > > Did it work? Bounce? Get lost again by Yahoo's crap email
      > > > server?
      > >
      > > It went to the maildir, but there was no N to the left of it to
      > > indicate newmail. In mutt, if I use maildir, it shows every
      > > directory as 4k. If a few emails get in there, the size changes,
      > > but, if I get a small email, for example, there's no indication.
      > > With mbox, it shows as 0 and even a .9k email, for example, some
      > > test I send myself, will show up.
      > >
      > > If one has thousands of emails saved, maildir almost certainly has
      > > advantages, since it's an individual file. However, mbox can
      > > easily be moved back and forth to say, claws-mail, not sure which
      > > mail clients, aside from Evolution, which seems to my elderly
      > > tastes, as bloated as Outlook.
      >

      > Though I haven't "played" with maildir format, your comment that it's
      > a single file is the same problem with Microsoft's Exchange server
      > with all email in one file -- that's the kiss of death when things go
      > wrong which is common.

      Hrrm, I obviously wasn't clear. mbox is one huge file, with various things
      in the file to separate individual mails. Maildir makes each email message
      a separate file.

      > With mbox format mail every email is a separate file so generally one
      > "might" lose one email if there is a disk error.

      As I understand it, mbox keeps each mailbox as file--that is, if you have
      inbox and no other mailboxes, it's one huge file composed of all your
      emails.

      Message 2 of 9 , May 15, 2013
        --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
        > On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 08:22:04PM -0000, Thad Floryan wrote:
        > > [...]
        > > Though I haven't "played" with maildir format, your comment that
        > > it's a single file is the same problem with Microsoft's Exchange
        > > server with all email in one file -- that's the kiss of death
        > > when things go wrong which is common.
        >
        > Hrrm, I obviously wasn't clear. mbox is one huge file, with
        > various things in the file to separate individual mails. Maildir
        > makes each email message a separate file.
        >
        > > [...]
        > > With mbox format mail every email is a separate file so generally
        > > one "might" lose one email if there is a disk error.
        >
        > As I understand it, mbox keeps each mailbox as file -- that is, if
        > you have inbox and no other mailboxes, it's one huge file composed
        > of all your emails.

        Hmmm. You're right and I'm "sort of" correct. :-)

        It's been too long since I've looked at the actual email hierarchy. I
        checked back in my archives and saw (and now remembered) I wrote a
        program called mailsplit back in the 1980s that would examine an
        inbox file and split it up into individual files based on the
        "From " (that's "From" followed by a space) separator.

        Dovecot's been running for so long now because it's the best for IMAP
        and it's one of only three standards-compliant IMAP servers:

        http://imapwiki.org/ImapTest/ServerStatus IMAP servers' status

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dovecot_%28software%29

        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mbox

        and Dovecot does have separate files for each email along with VERY
        fast indexing and searching. Here's how many emails I have on my
        server as of a minute ago across several hundred mail folders noting
        several of the items counted are Dovecot's index files:

        thadlabs bash 70971/70977> pwd
        /usr/home/thad/mail
        thadlabs bash 70971/70977> ls -lR | wc -l
        32236
        thadlabs bash 70971/70977>

        I suppose I've been using Thunderbird for so long now (10 years)
        that some of the various email setups are blurred in my memory; I
        just leave everything now on the server (FreeBSD) so it's available
        from any of my systems or even from anyplace in the world via the
        webmail facility -- disk space is cheap. About once a year I tar
        up the mail directory and copy that to a system on my LAN; there is
        already a backup disk on the server with a copy of all the mail -- I
        once had to restore an email from that backup disk on the server.