Re: Test, please ignore

    Message 1 of 9 , May 15, 2013
      > which is a 3D Jupiter flyby created from just a single photograph:
      >
      > http:/www.damianpeach.com/barbados10/2010_09_24_0256rgb.jpg 167kB
      >[...]

      Typing too fast (overtyping my keyboard); the above URL should be:

      http://www.damianpeach.com/barbados10/2010_09_24_0256rgb.jpg

      Message 2 of 9 , May 15, 2013
        On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 08:22:04PM -0000, Thad Floryan wrote:
        > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 10:25:45AM -0000, Thad Floryan wrote:
        > > > [...]
        > > > Did it work? Bounce? Get lost again by Yahoo's crap email
        > > > server?
        > >
        > > It went to the maildir, but there was no N to the left of it to
        > > indicate newmail. In mutt, if I use maildir, it shows every
        > > directory as 4k. If a few emails get in there, the size changes,
        > > but, if I get a small email, for example, there's no indication.
        > > With mbox, it shows as 0 and even a .9k email, for example, some
        > > test I send myself, will show up.
        > >
        > > If one has thousands of emails saved, maildir almost certainly has
        > > advantages, since it's an individual file. However, mbox can
        > > easily be moved back and forth to say, claws-mail, not sure which
        > > mail clients, aside from Evolution, which seems to my elderly
        > > tastes, as bloated as Outlook.
        >

        > Though I haven't "played" with maildir format, your comment that it's
        > a single file is the same problem with Microsoft's Exchange server
        > with all email in one file -- that's the kiss of death when things go
        > wrong which is common.

        Hrrm, I obviously wasn't clear. mbox is one huge file, with various things
        in the file to separate individual mails. Maildir makes each email message
        a separate file.

        > With mbox format mail every email is a separate file so generally one
        > "might" lose one email if there is a disk error.

        As I understand it, mbox keeps each mailbox as file--that is, if you have
        inbox and no other mailboxes, it's one huge file composed of all your
        emails.

        Message 3 of 9 , May 15, 2013
          --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
          > On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 08:22:04PM -0000, Thad Floryan wrote:
          > > [...]
          > > Though I haven't "played" with maildir format, your comment that
          > > it's a single file is the same problem with Microsoft's Exchange
          > > server with all email in one file -- that's the kiss of death
          > > when things go wrong which is common.
          >
          > Hrrm, I obviously wasn't clear. mbox is one huge file, with
          > various things in the file to separate individual mails. Maildir
          > makes each email message a separate file.
          >
          > > [...]
          > > With mbox format mail every email is a separate file so generally
          > > one "might" lose one email if there is a disk error.
          >
          > As I understand it, mbox keeps each mailbox as file -- that is, if
          > you have inbox and no other mailboxes, it's one huge file composed
          > of all your emails.

          Hmmm. You're right and I'm "sort of" correct. :-)

          It's been too long since I've looked at the actual email hierarchy. I
          checked back in my archives and saw (and now remembered) I wrote a
          program called mailsplit back in the 1980s that would examine an
          inbox file and split it up into individual files based on the
          "From " (that's "From" followed by a space) separator.

          Dovecot's been running for so long now because it's the best for IMAP
          and it's one of only three standards-compliant IMAP servers:

          http://imapwiki.org/ImapTest/ServerStatus IMAP servers' status

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dovecot_%28software%29

          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mbox

          and Dovecot does have separate files for each email along with VERY
          fast indexing and searching. Here's how many emails I have on my
          server as of a minute ago across several hundred mail folders noting
          several of the items counted are Dovecot's index files:

          thadlabs bash 70971/70977> pwd
          /usr/home/thad/mail
          thadlabs bash 70971/70977> ls -lR | wc -l
          32236
          thadlabs bash 70971/70977>

          I suppose I've been using Thunderbird for so long now (10 years)
          that some of the various email setups are blurred in my memory; I
          just leave everything now on the server (FreeBSD) so it's available
          from any of my systems or even from anyplace in the world via the
          webmail facility -- disk space is cheap. About once a year I tar
          up the mail directory and copy that to a system on my LAN; there is
          already a backup disk on the server with a copy of all the mail -- I
          once had to restore an email from that backup disk on the server.