Re: [linux] Re: Test, please ignore

    Message 1 of 9 , May 15, 2013
      On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 10:25:45AM -0000, Thad Floryan wrote:
      > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
      > >

      > > In this case, though, I needed to test the Linux group
      > > specifically. :)
      > >
      > > (I still use mbox rather than maildir in mutt.
      >
      > Smart! mbox is the clean ASCII format, the one I prefer, too. It's
      > the format written by my Yahoo-snarfer when downloading group message
      > archives and gets my Yahoo account frozen for violating Yahoo's absurd
      > and illegal claim to ownership of all the group messages.
      >
      > > One reason is that it's easier to see if there is new mail in mbox,
      > > and I was seeing what happened when a new message was sent to
      > > Linux.
      >
      > Did it work? Bounce? Get lost again by Yahoo's crap email server?

      It went to the maildir, but there was no N to the left of it to indicate
      newmail. In mutt, if I use maildir, it shows every directory as 4k. If a
      few emails get in there, the size changes, but, if I get a small email, for
      example, there's no indication. With mbox, it shows as 0 and even a .9k
      email, for example, some test I send myself, will show up.

      If one has thousands of emails saved, maildir almost certainly has
      advantages, since it's an individual file. However, mbox can easily be
      moved back and forth to say, claws-mail, not sure which mail clients, aside
      from Evolution, which seems to my elderly tastes, as bloated as Outlook.

      Message 2 of 9 , May 15, 2013
        --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:

        > On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 10:25:45AM -0000, Thad Floryan wrote:
        > > [...]
        > > Did it work? Bounce? Get lost again by Yahoo's crap email
        > > server?
        >
        > It went to the maildir, but there was no N to the left of it to
        > indicate newmail. In mutt, if I use maildir, it shows every
        > directory as 4k. If a few emails get in there, the size changes,
        > but, if I get a small email, for example, there's no indication.
        > With mbox, it shows as 0 and even a .9k email, for example, some
        > test I send myself, will show up.
        >
        > If one has thousands of emails saved, maildir almost certainly has
        > advantages, since it's an individual file. However, mbox can
        > easily be moved back and forth to say, claws-mail, not sure which
        > mail clients, aside from Evolution, which seems to my elderly
        > tastes, as bloated as Outlook.

        Everything I've ever posted to any Yahoo or Usenet group is stored
        in mbox format for easy grep'ing and/or database access because
        every message is a separate file.

        Though I haven't "played" with maildir format, your comment that it's
        a single file is the same problem with Microsoft's Exchange server
        with all email in one file -- that's the kiss of death when things go
        wrong which is common.

        Worst case of Exchange I ever saw was at Hewlett Packard Labs; every
        time there was a disk sector error or similar, the entire file became
        corrupt and Exchange would crash with all [new] email lost and it took
        17 hours [actual, real number from the admin] to restore Exchange mail
        from backup noting all the new stuff is lost forever.

        With mbox format mail every email is a separate file so generally one
        "might" lose one email if there is a disk error.

        Given today's disk capacities the inefficiencies of one email per file
        is lost in the noise -- [header+body] of 500 bytes in a 4k block with
        only 12.5% utilization is no big deal averaged over 1000s of emails
        where many may have 90+% utilization in their 4k blocks.

        In general, disk space is not a big worry nowadays. Every time I
        download a video from YouTube I create an accompanying file whose
        sole content is the URL from which I downloaded the video. Many
        such URLs are very short such as this (one of my astro videos):

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-2A1JeU9lg runtime 11 seconds

        which is a 3D Jupiter flyby created from just a single photograph:

        http:/www.damianpeach.com/barbados10/2010_09_24_0256rgb.jpg 167kB

        The 60-byte YouTube URL is stored in a 4k file block -- no big deal
        when I have TBs of disk space available. :-)

        Message 3 of 9 , May 15, 2013
          > which is a 3D Jupiter flyby created from just a single photograph:
          >
          > http:/www.damianpeach.com/barbados10/2010_09_24_0256rgb.jpg 167kB
          >[...]

          Typing too fast (overtyping my keyboard); the above URL should be:

          http://www.damianpeach.com/barbados10/2010_09_24_0256rgb.jpg

          Message 4 of 9 , May 15, 2013
            On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 08:22:04PM -0000, Thad Floryan wrote:
            > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 10:25:45AM -0000, Thad Floryan wrote:
            > > > [...]
            > > > Did it work? Bounce? Get lost again by Yahoo's crap email
            > > > server?
            > >
            > > It went to the maildir, but there was no N to the left of it to
            > > indicate newmail. In mutt, if I use maildir, it shows every
            > > directory as 4k. If a few emails get in there, the size changes,
            > > but, if I get a small email, for example, there's no indication.
            > > With mbox, it shows as 0 and even a .9k email, for example, some
            > > test I send myself, will show up.
            > >
            > > If one has thousands of emails saved, maildir almost certainly has
            > > advantages, since it's an individual file. However, mbox can
            > > easily be moved back and forth to say, claws-mail, not sure which
            > > mail clients, aside from Evolution, which seems to my elderly
            > > tastes, as bloated as Outlook.
            >

            > Though I haven't "played" with maildir format, your comment that it's
            > a single file is the same problem with Microsoft's Exchange server
            > with all email in one file -- that's the kiss of death when things go
            > wrong which is common.

            Hrrm, I obviously wasn't clear. mbox is one huge file, with various things
            in the file to separate individual mails. Maildir makes each email message
            a separate file.

            > With mbox format mail every email is a separate file so generally one
            > "might" lose one email if there is a disk error.

            As I understand it, mbox keeps each mailbox as file--that is, if you have
            inbox and no other mailboxes, it's one huge file composed of all your
            emails.

            Message 5 of 9 , May 15, 2013
              --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
              > On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 08:22:04PM -0000, Thad Floryan wrote:
              > > [...]
              > > Though I haven't "played" with maildir format, your comment that
              > > it's a single file is the same problem with Microsoft's Exchange
              > > server with all email in one file -- that's the kiss of death
              > > when things go wrong which is common.
              >
              > Hrrm, I obviously wasn't clear. mbox is one huge file, with
              > various things in the file to separate individual mails. Maildir
              > makes each email message a separate file.
              >
              > > [...]
              > > With mbox format mail every email is a separate file so generally
              > > one "might" lose one email if there is a disk error.
              >
              > As I understand it, mbox keeps each mailbox as file -- that is, if
              > you have inbox and no other mailboxes, it's one huge file composed
              > of all your emails.

              Hmmm. You're right and I'm "sort of" correct. :-)

              It's been too long since I've looked at the actual email hierarchy. I
              checked back in my archives and saw (and now remembered) I wrote a
              program called mailsplit back in the 1980s that would examine an
              inbox file and split it up into individual files based on the
              "From " (that's "From" followed by a space) separator.

              Dovecot's been running for so long now because it's the best for IMAP
              and it's one of only three standards-compliant IMAP servers:

              http://imapwiki.org/ImapTest/ServerStatus IMAP servers' status

              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dovecot_%28software%29

              https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mbox

              and Dovecot does have separate files for each email along with VERY
              fast indexing and searching. Here's how many emails I have on my
              server as of a minute ago across several hundred mail folders noting
              several of the items counted are Dovecot's index files:

              thadlabs bash 70971/70977> pwd
              /usr/home/thad/mail
              thadlabs bash 70971/70977> ls -lR | wc -l
              32236
              thadlabs bash 70971/70977>

              I suppose I've been using Thunderbird for so long now (10 years)
              that some of the various email setups are blurred in my memory; I
              just leave everything now on the server (FreeBSD) so it's available
              from any of my systems or even from anyplace in the world via the
              webmail facility -- disk space is cheap. About once a year I tar
              up the mail directory and copy that to a system on my LAN; there is
              already a backup disk on the server with a copy of all the mail -- I
              once had to restore an email from that backup disk on the server.