OT: Atari breakout

    Message 1 of 10 , May 14, 2013
      Off topic, but bit of fun.

      http://bit.ly/10n9Rk4

      (well, could be on-topic, google servers sensibly run Linux I believe?)

      Message 2 of 10 , May 14, 2013
        On 14/05/13 09:43, ed wrote:

        > http://bit.ly/10n9Rk4

        Brilliant!

        Talk about a blast from the past...

        I just forwarded that link to a colleague of mine and he said that it
        was from before his time. Makes me feel like an old fart.

        --
        Godwin Stewart -- <grs.ygroups@...>
      • J
        Message 3 of 10 , May 14, 2013
          On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 4:53 AM, Godwin Stewart <grs.ygroups@...> wrote:
          > On 14/05/13 09:43, ed wrote:
          >
          >> http://bit.ly/10n9Rk4
          >
          > Brilliant!
          >
          > Talk about a blast from the past...
          >
          > I just forwarded that link to a colleague of mine and he said that it
          > was from before his time. Makes me feel like an old fart.

          Yes, what a terrible waste of time!!

          I spent over 2 hours last night moving the paddle around the screen
          hitting that little ball, and I will probably be unable to resist it's
          siren song today as I have a long day of conference calls ahead of
          me... :)
          Message 4 of 10 , May 14, 2013
            On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 09:40:34AM -0400, J wrote:
            > On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 4:53 AM, Godwin Stewart <grs.ygroups@...> wrote:
            > > On 14/05/13 09:43, ed wrote:
            > >
            > >> http://bit.ly/10n9Rk4
            > >
            > > Brilliant!
            > >
            > > Talk about a blast from the past...
            > >
            > > I just forwarded that link to a colleague of mine and he said that it
            > > was from before his time. Makes me feel like an old fart.
            >
            > Yes, what a terrible waste of time!!
            >
            > I spent over 2 hours last night moving the paddle around the screen
            > hitting that little ball, and I will probably be unable to resist it's
            > siren song today as I have a long day of conference calls ahead of
            > me... :)

            Speaking of meetings:

            http://imgur.com/n8GtFfW

            and finally:

            http://i.imgur.com/elxAwZZ.jpg

            Message 5 of 10 , May 14, 2013
              On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 09:40:34AM -0400, J wrote:

              > Yes, what a terrible waste of time!!
              >
              > I spent over 2 hours last night moving the paddle around the screen
              > hitting that little ball, and I will probably be unable to resist it's
              > siren song today as I have a long day of conference calls ahead of
              > me... :)

              I remember playing a lot of lbreakout2 in the old days.

              Is it still available on some systems?

              Message 6 of 10 , May 14, 2013
                On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 02:37:23PM -0400, Scott wrote:
                > On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 09:40:34AM -0400, J wrote:
                >

                > > Yes, what a terrible waste of time!!
                > >

                > I remember playing a lot of lbreakout2 in the old days.
                >
                > Is it still available on some systems?

                Well, for what it's worth, just checked on CentOS 6.x with several 3rd
                party repos enabled, and it wasn't on any of them. Oh well.

                Message 7 of 10 , May 14, 2013
                  --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
                  > [...]
                  > I remember playing a lot of lbreakout2 in the old days.
                  > [...]
                  > Well, for what it's worth, just checked on CentOS 6.x with several 3rd
                  > party repos enabled, and it wasn't on any of them. Oh well.

                  Harumph. Well, that's RedHat/CentOS for you -- no fun at all. :-)

                  The Linux game "Penguin Command" (a fantastic clone of the long-ago
                  "Missile Command" arcade game) is a lot of fun but does require building
                  it from source (fairly easy to do -- I posted complete instructions here
                  before).

                  Searching "which linux has lbreakout2" finds these:

                  http://lgames.sourceforge.net/

                  http://lgames.sourceforge.net/?project=LBreakout2

                  http://lgames.sourceforge.net/?project=LBreakout2&sub=Manual

                  http://community.linuxmint.com/software/view/lbreakout2

                  http://linux.about.com/od/softgame/fr/fr_LBreakout2.htm

                  http://linux.softpedia.com/get/GAMES-ENTERTAINMENT/Arcade/LBreakout2-1883.shtml

                  I bet this will work on my RedHat 9 laptop and desktop:

                  http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/freshrpms/redhat/9/lbreakout2/lbreakout2-2.4.1-fr2.i386.html

                  Note that a very complex executable I built under my 32-bit Red Hat 9
                  box back in 2003 runs on my 64-bit CentOS6 box simply by having copied
                  it to /usr/local/bin

                  Some additional URLs:

                  http://linuxappfinder.com/package/lbreakout2

                  http://penguinpetes.com/b2evo/index.php?title=game_of_the_day_lbreakout2&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1.

                  http://www.downloadplex.com/Linux/Games/Arcade/lbreakout2_205979.html

                  Message 8 of 10 , May 14, 2013
                    On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 02:39:26PM -0400, Scott wrote:
                    > On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 02:37:23PM -0400, Scott wrote:
                    > > On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 09:40:34AM -0400, J wrote:
                    > >

                    > > > Yes, what a terrible waste of time!!
                    > > >

                    > > I remember playing a lot of lbreakout2 in the old days.
                    > >
                    > > Is it still available on some systems?
                    > >

                    > Well, for what it's worth, just checked on CentOS 6.x with several 3rd
                    > party repos enabled, and it wasn't on any of them. Oh well.

                    There's lbreakout2 on debian and it's clones:

                    lbreakout2 is a game similar to the classics breakout and xboing, featuring
                    a number of added graphical enhancements and effects. You control a paddle
                    at the bottom of the playing-field, and must destroy bricks at the top
                    by bouncing balls against them.
                    .
                    lbreakout2 is a complete rewrite of the game "lbreakout". Users of
                    lbreakout probably want to install this.

                    alien should be able to convert it to rpm, I've never tried it, but in theory it might be possible to un-ar it into /tmp and see if it can find the data files (provided by lbreakout2-data).

                    Here's a screenshot of me not doing so well:

                    <http://www.usenix.org.uk/pictures/2013/05/lbreakout2.png>

                    it does look awfully familiar like I've played it a bit...

                    Message 9 of 10 , May 14, 2013
                      On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 09:27:54PM +0100, ed wrote:
                      > On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 02:39:26PM -0400, Scott wrote:
                      > > On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 02:37:23PM -0400, Scott wrote:
                      > > > On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 09:40:34AM -0400, J wrote:
                      > > >

                      > > > I remember playing a lot of lbreakout2 in the old days.
                      > > >

                      > > Well, for what it's worth, just checked on CentOS 6.x with several 3rd
                      > > party repos enabled, and it wasn't on any of them. Oh well.
                      >
                      > There's lbreakout2 on debian and it's clones:

                      Ah, I might put it on my lubuntu install.

                      > lbreakout2 is a game similar to the classics breakout and xboing, featuring
                      > a number of added graphical enhancements and effects. You control a paddle
                      > at the bottom of the playing-field, and must destroy bricks at the top
                      > by bouncing balls against them.

                      Wow, xobing--I remember that from when I first installed Linux--Caldera, I
                      think. That was a fun game actually.

                      I haven't checked Fedora. It's available on Arch. So, probably available
                      on most, CentOS/RHEL/SL/OEL are a bit behind the times.

                      Message 10 of 10 , May 14, 2013
                        On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 09:27:54PM +0100, ed wrote:
                        > On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 02:39:26PM -0400, Scott wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > I remember playing a lot of lbreakout2 in the old days.
                        > > >
                        > > > Is it still available on some systems?
                        > > >

                        > > Well, for what it's worth, just checked on CentOS 6.x with several 3rd
                        > > party repos enabled, and it wasn't on any of them. Oh well.
                        >
                        > There's lbreakout2 on debian and it's clones:

                        Not available on Fedora, downloaded the tarball from sourceforge and it
                        built pretty easily.

                        Audio's not working with it, but that might be because this is Fedora
                        rawhide.