R.I.P. Hardy, Lucid and Oneiric

  • J
    Message 1 of 3 , May 9, 2013
      Just FYI, as of 9 May, the following Ubuntu Distros are EOL and no
      longer receiving updates:

      8.04 (Hardy Heron) - Completely EOL having reached it's 5 year lifespan.
      10.04 Desktop (Lucid Lynx) - Desktop is EOL, you may still get
      security updates via the server channels
      11.10 (Oneiric Ocelot) - Completely EOL having reached it's 18 month lifespan.

      Kinda sad, Lucid was my first release at Canonical.

      Fun trivia:

      I'm known in some circles as "That Guy Who Triggered a Respin on
      Release Day Almost Forcing Lucid to be Released a Day Late" because of
      this bug:

      https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/570765

      https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IncidentReports/2010-04-29-Late-respin-for-bug-570765

      I was trying to find the original Slashdot post about the respin and
      failed, but I did find one from The Register:

      http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/04/29/ubuntu_10_04_bug_delay/

      Cheers

      Jeff
      Message 2 of 3 , May 9, 2013
        --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, J <dreadpiratejeff@...> wrote:

        > Just FYI, as of 9 May, the following Ubuntu Distros are EOL and no
        > longer receiving updates:
        >
        > 8.04 (Hardy Heron) - Completely EOL having reached it's 5 year
        > lifespan.
        > 10.04 Desktop (Lucid Lynx) - Desktop is EOL, you may still get
        > security updates via the server channels
        > 11.10 (Oneiric Ocelot) - Completely EOL having reached it's 18
        > month lifespan.
        > [...]

        Hi Jeff,

        Yep; I received a bunch of updates yesterday (8 May 2013) for my ol'
        8.04.4 LTS system and I don't expect any more -- not a problem.

        Question: will the repository for 8.04 still be accessible for awhile?

        The reason I ask is that every now and then I discover I need yet
        another "something" that I haven't installed using Synaptic and I
        wonder if that capability will remain?

        Worst case is I can build what I need from source code like I do for
        my 2003 RedHat 9 laptop. It's just that everything "just works" on
        my 8.04.4 system and I have no compelling reason to change it out.

        Thad
      • J
        Message 3 of 3 , May 10, 2013
          On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 1:53 AM, thad_floryan <thad@...> wrote:
          > Question: will the repository for 8.04 still be accessible for awhile?
          >
          > The reason I ask is that every now and then I discover I need yet
          > another "something" that I haven't installed using Synaptic and I
          > wonder if that capability will remain?
          >
          > Worst case is I can build what I need from source code like I do for
          > my 2003 RedHat 9 laptop. It's just that everything "just works" on
          > my 8.04.4 system and I have no compelling reason to change it out.

          I'd get it now while you can. It's all still up in the archives, but
          for how long I have no idea.

          I'd mirror it and just get the whole enchilada.

          That said, I learned something new today. You can go to
          old-releases.ubuntu.com and still get the package archives. I thought
          they only stored install ISOs there, but apparently there's a copy of
          the package archives going back all the way to Warty (4.10)

          http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/