Re: [linux] Remove useless space-eating Firefox Search bar and gain URL address space

  • rocky foreshore
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 26, 2013
      On 26/04/13 00:02, Thad Floryan wrote:
      > I've always been annoyed by search bars in browsers because they usurp
      > valuable space that could be used for a longer/wider URL address box,
      > so with a simple operation within Firefox the search box can be easily
      > removed and if you follow my recommendation using local "home" HTML
      > pages as I've written here many times previously, you can enjoy a much
      > better browser experience as shown here for both Linux and Windows
      > using Firefox 16.0.2 (last safe version before backdoors were added):

      i get on really with the omnibar firefox add-on. it somehow incorporates
      the search bar into the address bar... you type stuff in and it just works.

      for the geeky, you can use vimperator.. which gives you *lots* of key
      definitions in a vim-like manner ... it tries to take over the
      browser... works very well. you get a pop-up command line when you want
      to search, so no screen space wasted.

      jack
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 26, 2013
        --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, rocky foreshore <rocky.foreshore@...> wrote:

        > On 26/04/13 00:02, Thad Floryan wrote:
        > > I've always been annoyed by search bars in browsers because they
        > > usurp valuable space that could be used for a longer/wider URL
        > > address box, so with a simple operation within Firefox the search
        > > box can be easily removed and if you follow my recommendation
        > > using local "home" HTML pages as I've written here many times
        > > previously, you can enjoy a much better browser experience as
        > > shown here for both Linux and Windows using Firefox 16.0.2 (last
        > > safe version before backdoors were added):
        >

        > i get on really with the omnibar firefox add-on. it somehow
        > incorporates the search bar into the address bar ... you type stuff
        > in and it just works.

        Hi Jack,

        Thanks for the reference to omnibar. Your comment intrigued me so I
        located its page here:

        https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/omnibar/

        Search also found "Omnibar Plus" here:

        https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/omnibar-plus/

        which requires the "basic" Omnibar addon.

        What's really interesting is this found page:

        http://www.hackcollege.com/blog/2012/05/14/get-chromes-omnibox-in-firefox-or-safari.html

        where omnibox is described as "the smart address bar which also
        doubles as a search box. Chrome's omnibox saves time and screen real
        estate".

        Saving screen real estate and being able to select multiple search
        engines is still what I need, though, so omnibox doesn't solve my
        problem -- I still need my "info" local HTML page as shown here:

        http://thadlabs.com/PIX/Firefox_no-search_CentOS_info-section.png

        http://thadlabs.com/PIX/Firefox_no-search_Windows_info-section.jpg

        > for the geeky, you can use vimperator .. which gives you *lots* of
        > key definitions in a vim-like manner ... it tries to take over the
        > browser... works very well. you get a pop-up command line when you
        > want to search, so no screen space wasted.

        Search found these pages relevant to 'vimperator':

        http://www.vimperator.org/

        http://www.vimperator.org/vimperator

        https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/vimperator/

        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vimperator

        Thank you for posting the above. It's nice to have choices. :-)