Remove useless space-eating Firefox Search bar and gain URL address space

  • Thad Floryan
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 25, 2013
      I have NEVER used any search bar in any browser EVER, especially after
      seeing stupid people doing stupid things with their browsers such as
      seen in these five examples:

      http://j-walkblog.com/images/too_many_toolbars.jpg

      http://techtalk.pcpitstop.com/wp-content/uploads/toolbar.jpg

      http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-7K_KnhMWNMw/TwWaIiVDteI/AAAAAAAABhQ/sC6mw1RrBb8/s1600/toolbars.jpg

      http://somewhatfrank.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/splasho_pimped_firefox_browser_screensho.jpg

      http://worcester.typepad.com/pc4media/images/toolbar400gif-thumb.gif

      I've always been annoyed by search bars in browsers because they usurp
      valuable space that could be used for a longer/wider URL address box,
      so with a simple operation within Firefox the search box can be easily
      removed and if you follow my recommendation using local "home" HTML
      pages as I've written here many times previously, you can enjoy a much
      better browser experience as shown here for both Linux and Windows
      using Firefox 16.0.2 (last safe version before backdoors were added):

      http://thadlabs.com/PIX/Firefox_no-search_CentOS_top-level.png
      http://thadlabs.com/PIX/Firefox_no-search_CentOS_info-section.png

      http://thadlabs.com/PIX/Firefox_no-search_Windows_top-level.jpg
      http://thadlabs.com/PIX/Firefox_no-search_Windows_info-section.jpg

      The "top-level" is the beginning of the home.htm file. Along the top
      you'll note a string of buttons [SYST] [HOME] [ASTR] [GROUP] [INFO] ...
      which is a technique I've used since 1993 -- click on a button and one
      "visits" another section of the same file or another HTML file. The
      INFO section is that part of main.htm where I can initiate searches or
      retrieve a lot of information of interest to me as you can see in the
      pictures.

      If anyone is curious how to create the [very simple] local home pages,
      ask here in the group and I'll write an article about it. Each button
      is simply three lines of short and very simple HTML code that can be
      copy'n'pasted as boilerplate over and over again for new buttons as
      the need requires.

      The method within Firefox to remove the search bar is different on
      Linux than on Windows due to the different source code [even for the
      same version, which is really, REALLY STUPID on Mozilla's part].

      For Linux, it's View -> Toolbars -> Customize

      For Windows, it's Options -> Toolbar Layout

      For both, simply click on the search bar/window and move it to the
      small Customize/Layout window that popped-up. You can also easily
      rearrangce any of the other icons at the same time -- I put all of
      mine to the left of the URL address bar as can be seen in the above
      pictures.

      Thad
    • rocky foreshore
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 26, 2013
        On 26/04/13 00:02, Thad Floryan wrote:
        > I've always been annoyed by search bars in browsers because they usurp
        > valuable space that could be used for a longer/wider URL address box,
        > so with a simple operation within Firefox the search box can be easily
        > removed and if you follow my recommendation using local "home" HTML
        > pages as I've written here many times previously, you can enjoy a much
        > better browser experience as shown here for both Linux and Windows
        > using Firefox 16.0.2 (last safe version before backdoors were added):

        i get on really with the omnibar firefox add-on. it somehow incorporates
        the search bar into the address bar... you type stuff in and it just works.

        for the geeky, you can use vimperator.. which gives you *lots* of key
        definitions in a vim-like manner ... it tries to take over the
        browser... works very well. you get a pop-up command line when you want
        to search, so no screen space wasted.

        jack
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 26, 2013
          --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, rocky foreshore <rocky.foreshore@...> wrote:

          > On 26/04/13 00:02, Thad Floryan wrote:
          > > I've always been annoyed by search bars in browsers because they
          > > usurp valuable space that could be used for a longer/wider URL
          > > address box, so with a simple operation within Firefox the search
          > > box can be easily removed and if you follow my recommendation
          > > using local "home" HTML pages as I've written here many times
          > > previously, you can enjoy a much better browser experience as
          > > shown here for both Linux and Windows using Firefox 16.0.2 (last
          > > safe version before backdoors were added):
          >

          > i get on really with the omnibar firefox add-on. it somehow
          > incorporates the search bar into the address bar ... you type stuff
          > in and it just works.

          Hi Jack,

          Thanks for the reference to omnibar. Your comment intrigued me so I
          located its page here:

          https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/omnibar/

          Search also found "Omnibar Plus" here:

          https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/omnibar-plus/

          which requires the "basic" Omnibar addon.

          What's really interesting is this found page:

          http://www.hackcollege.com/blog/2012/05/14/get-chromes-omnibox-in-firefox-or-safari.html

          where omnibox is described as "the smart address bar which also
          doubles as a search box. Chrome's omnibox saves time and screen real
          estate".

          Saving screen real estate and being able to select multiple search
          engines is still what I need, though, so omnibox doesn't solve my
          problem -- I still need my "info" local HTML page as shown here:

          http://thadlabs.com/PIX/Firefox_no-search_CentOS_info-section.png

          http://thadlabs.com/PIX/Firefox_no-search_Windows_info-section.jpg

          > for the geeky, you can use vimperator .. which gives you *lots* of
          > key definitions in a vim-like manner ... it tries to take over the
          > browser... works very well. you get a pop-up command line when you
          > want to search, so no screen space wasted.

          Search found these pages relevant to 'vimperator':

          http://www.vimperator.org/

          http://www.vimperator.org/vimperator

          https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/vimperator/

          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vimperator

          Thank you for posting the above. It's nice to have choices. :-)