Re: [linux] deb - determine if a package is installed

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 24, 2013
      On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 06:25:47PM -0400, J wrote:
      > So here's an interesting problem...
      >
      > How can you tell, quickly, and cleanly and quietly if a .deb is installed?

      Normally, I'd do dpkg --get-selections | grep package

      > Meaning without a bunch of grepping.

      Oh

      > So I was trying to find a better way to replace the entire dpkg/grep
      > combination and so far havent found anything that works.
      >
      > there's dpkg-query -s packagename, but that dumps a LOT of non-status
      > info so grepping is still necessary.

      What about dpkg-query -W ?

    • J
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 24, 2013
        On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 7:01 PM, ed <ed@...> wrote:
        > On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 06:25:47PM -0400, J wrote:
        >> So here's an interesting problem...
        >>
        >> How can you tell, quickly, and cleanly and quietly if a .deb is installed?
        >
        > Normally, I'd do dpkg --get-selections | grep package
        >
        >> Meaning without a bunch of grepping.
        >
        > Oh
        >
        >> So I was trying to find a better way to replace the entire dpkg/grep
        >> combination and so far havent found anything that works.
        >>
        >> there's dpkg-query -s packagename, but that dumps a LOT of non-status
        >> info so grepping is still necessary.
        >
        > What about dpkg-query -W ?

        Oh boy... thanks! I completely missed that while reading the man
        pages for dpkg-query. In my own defense, I was also cooking dinner,
        so that's my excuse for missing something that obvious :)

        but thanks or pointing it out, that works like a charm.