Re: [linux] Re: Configuration management

  • J
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 15, 2013
      On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 12:44 PM, ed <ed@...> wrote:
      > On Sat, Apr 13, 2013 at 12:26:00PM -0400, J wrote:
      >> At least in the sense that I used vim to write a very brief shell
      >> script that uses rsync. But for home use, I only do what you've
      >> described for a couple of laptops that I use for work and personal
      >> stuff. One is a big desktop replacement machine, the other a
      >> light-weight Thinkpad X201 that I use when I travel. So I have a very
      >> brief shell script that rsyncs a few select directories and files
      >> between them before and after a trip. My other systems have vastly
      >> different roles so they have nothing in common that would require
      >> syncing. One is a file server/IRC proxy/gateway machine that runs
      >> 24/7, the other is a 1U server I use for development and
      >> testing/debugging of tools and it is constantly re-installed with
      >> various versions of Ubuntu Server, Xen, Rackspace Cloud (forget the
      >> actual name of their product) and some assorted Openstack based
      >> projects like Devstack.
      >>
      >> For actual system config, I also rsync some files in /etc. As for
      >> package differences, that's where my ad hoc system breaks down. There
      >> are apt tools out there that can ensure two systems have the same
      >> packages installed, I've just never used them, mainly because I've
      >> found that the majority of things I install on the primary system are
      >> not needed on the secondary, because while I may use the secondary for
      >> work, I often don't have the goals during use, so I don't need a lot
      >> of the development and testing tools I keep on the primary.
      >
      > Similar thing here. I try and store all system changes in a Makefile
      > that just gets what I need from package management and copy /etc into
      > place. Although of late, UUID partition names get in the way of that.
      > Damn things changing under me.
      >
      >> At work, we have a home-grown system that performs identical network
      >> installs across systems in the labs. It handles all the bits
      >> necessary for PXE booting installers and launching pre-seed
      >> installations and post-install configuration so that every system is
      >> installed identically.
      >
      > What happens when your gloabl configuration needs to be updated, say,
      > changing /etc/motd and that needs to be copied to all the servers? Or
      > perhaps just to the servers in US?
      >
      > Just wondering, would the approach be to reinstall with updated
      > configuration from boot server?

      Yes but that rarely happens as the target machines are all test
      systems that could be re-installed multiple times a day.

      So basically, we have 4 servers in 3 labs and 1 datacenter. All the
      config stuff for installing the systems goes into the same source code
      tree on Launchpad via Bazaar (not Git, because it's Ubuntu, eh?)
      Changes are then pulled from Launchpad by the servers that control
      each lab/DC (this is manual, though could be automated via cron, but
      to be honest, we don't have to change things but once a month or so at
      most).

      So the setup isn't quite like yours where, I imagine, the servers
      you're updating are production systems, or at least have longer life
      expectancy than a few hours as ours do. When I install a system of
      one of those satellite servers, that system could remain up and
      running for a month, or only long enough to run a couple quick tests
      before being re-installed for other tasks.

      As for location, as mentioned above, the code that contains all the
      config data, scripts and other things necessary for operation are
      stored on Launchpad.net. Changes that are required for the Taipei
      satellite, for example, would be pushed there, and then the lab
      manager (or whomever) would update the Taipei satellite pulling down
      the latest changes. The other labs wouldn't need to update unless
      changes had been applied to the code base that affect their labs or
      for general bug fix updates to the code base, but that is even less
      frequent than the individual lab updates.

      TBH, it's a somewhat confusing system, and a bit kludgey, as home
      grown systems often are.
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 15, 2013
        On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 02:59:49PM -0400, J wrote:
        > On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 12:44 PM, ed <ed@...> wrote:
        > > [...]
        > > Just wondering, would the approach be to reinstall with updated
        > > configuration from boot server?
        >
        > Yes but that rarely happens as the target machines are all test
        > systems that could be re-installed multiple times a day.
        >
        > So basically, we have 4 servers in 3 labs and 1 datacenter. All the
        > config stuff for installing the systems goes into the same source code
        > tree on Launchpad via Bazaar (not Git, because it's Ubuntu, eh?)
        > Changes are then pulled from Launchpad by the servers that control
        > each lab/DC (this is manual, though could be automated via cron, but
        > to be honest, we don't have to change things but once a month or so at
        > most).
        >
        > So the setup isn't quite like yours where, I imagine, the servers
        > you're updating are production systems, or at least have longer life
        > expectancy than a few hours as ours do. When I install a system of
        > one of those satellite servers, that system could remain up and
        > running for a month, or only long enough to run a couple quick tests
        > before being re-installed for other tasks.

        We have around 1000 or so systems in different DCs around the globle.
        Well, some in NY, some in Amsterdam, some in Sydney, some in Singapore,
        the vast majority in UK DCs.

        Mostly web servers with yearly uptimes, one box has an uptime of 15
        years I think... can't remember without logging back in and I'm not
        going to do the logging-back-into-work-and-check-mail dance again
        tonight.

        I hadn't thought of a situation where boxes would have short life spans
        where configuration of the host could be carried out through rebuild.

        One of Sun/Oracles training centres in the UK had some labs which were
        rebuilt daily when classes finished, come to think about it.

        > As for location, as mentioned above, the code that contains all the
        > config data, scripts and other things necessary for operation are
        > stored on Launchpad.net. Changes that are required for the Taipei
        > satellite, for example, would be pushed there, and then the lab
        > manager (or whomever) would update the Taipei satellite pulling down
        > the latest changes. The other labs wouldn't need to update unless
        > changes had been applied to the code base that affect their labs or
        > for general bug fix updates to the code base, but that is even less
        > frequent than the individual lab updates.
        >
        > TBH, it's a somewhat confusing system, and a bit kludgey, as home
        > grown systems often are.

        The department I'm working in (Internet Operations) has been around
        since 1996 or earlier, so the configuration for the hosts seems peculiar
        to outsiders who use industry standard tools such as puppet. I was kind
        of hoping someone might describe how they use puppet in their work place
        or at home.