News from the EFF

  • J
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 1 1:43 PM
      Just FYI, the latest EFF newsletter is definitely worth a read :)

      https://www.eff.org/effector/26/09

      Shedding light on a new FBI Anti-piracy program aimed at reflective
      devices, and a concerted effort by the DoD, RIAA and MPAA to use
      domestic drone strikes against file sharers... among other dire
      warnings.

      Enjoy

      Jeff
    • westmi
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 2 6:33 AM
        --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, J <dreadpiratejeff@...> wrote:

        > Just FYI, the latest EFF newsletter is definitely worth a read :)
        >
        > https://www.eff.org/effector/26/09
        >
        > Shedding light on a new FBI Anti-piracy program aimed at reflective
        > devices, and a concerted effort by the DoD, RIAA and MPAA to use
        > domestic drone strikes against file sharers... among other dire
        > warnings.
        >
        > Enjoy
        >
        > Jeff

        eh, watching movies is too dangerous anymore......
      • westmi
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 2 6:36 AM
          --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, "westmi" <west.mi420@...> wrote:

          > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, J <dreadpiratejeff@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Just FYI, the latest EFF newsletter is definitely worth a read :)
          > >
          > > https://www.eff.org/effector/26/09
          > >
          > > Shedding light on a new FBI Anti-piracy program aimed at reflective
          > > devices, and a concerted effort by the DoD, RIAA and MPAA to use
          > > domestic drone strikes against file sharers... among other dire
          > > warnings.
          > >
          > > Enjoy
          > >
          > > Jeff
          > >
          > eh, watching movies is too dangerous anymore......

          Heh, now that I take a good look at that page.....it looks like april fools prank?
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 2 9:05 AM
            On Tue, Apr 02, 2013 at 01:36:29PM -0000, westmi wrote:

            > > > Jeff
            > > >
            > > eh, watching movies is too dangerous anymore......
            > >
            > Heh, now that I take a good look at that page.....it looks like april fools prank?

            Yes, it is. Sometimes, especially if English isn't the first language, it
            can be hard to tell. With America's government having becomes so corrupt
            and taking the needs of big media over that of the people they are supposd
            to serve, what seems a joke can often quickly become the truth.

            In this case, it is a joke, though, at least for now.

            Buffy: You read my diary? That is not OK. A diary is like a
            person's most private possession. You don't even know what I was
            writing about. Hunk can mean a lot of things, bad things. And,
            and when I said his eyes were penetrating, I meant bulging.
            Angel: Buffy...
            Buffy: A doesn't even stand for Angel for that matter. It stand
            for Achmed, a charming foreign exchange student. And that whole
            fantasy part has nothing to even do with you, at all...
            Angel: Your mother moved your diary when she came in to
            straighten up. I watched her from the closet. I didn't read it, I
            swear.
            Buffy: Oh.
          • J
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 2 9:23 AM
              On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 12:05 PM, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:

              >> > eh, watching movies is too dangerous anymore......
              >> >
              >> Heh, now that I take a good look at that page.....it looks like april fools prank?
              >>

              > Yes, it is. Sometimes, especially if English isn't the first language, it
              > can be hard to tell. With America's government having becomes so corrupt
              > and taking the needs of big media over that of the people they are supposd
              > to serve, what seems a joke can often quickly become the truth.
              >
              > In this case, it is a joke, though, at least for now.

              Yeah, the best April Fool's gags are the ones that leave you not quite
              sure it was a joke.

              Obviously (to Americans at least) this was a joke, but at the same
              time, given the recent track records of all the parties listed (FBI,
              .gov, MPAA, RIAA, etc), while improbable, it doesn't sound totally
              implausible. Given that the MPAA and RIAA have had free reign to sue
              grandparents and single moms into bankruptcy with nothing more than an
              IP address and an army of well-funded lawyers, who knows.

              The best thing about that one though, is that the entire newsletter
              was full of parody bits :) some were quite entertaining to read, in a
              tinfoil hat sort of way.
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 2 5:31 PM
                --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
                > [...]
                > Yes, it is. Sometimes, especially if English isn't the first
                > language, it can be hard to tell.
                > [...]

                Wow, what a coincidence. Today's "The Daily WTF" has an article on
                just this subject:

                http://thedailywtf.com/Articles/Technically-Competent-!-Qualified.aspx

                with these excerpts:

                " [...]
                " When I interview people, part of my observations include whether
                " they can be understood, and whether they can understand me. After
                " all, a huge part of working with someone, anyone, is
                " communication; if you can't communicate with a person, you and
                " that person are not going to be able to work effectively
                " together.
                " [...]
                " However, it is required that they can understand and communicate
                " in the language that we speak.
                " [...]
                " HR would not create a formal policy - apparently because it might
                " be construed as discrimination. So there is now an informal
                " policy on the team that all interviews must conducted in English,
                " and the person must be able to effectively communicate -- in
                " English.

                which is also acknowledged here:

                http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html#skills4
                "
                " [...]
                " 4. If you don't have functional English, learn it.
                "
                " As an American and native English-speaker myself, I have
                " previously been reluctant to suggest this, lest it be taken as a
                " sort of cultural imperialism. But several native speakers of
                " other languages have urged me to point out that English is the
                " working language of the hacker culture and the Internet, and that
                " you will need to know it to function in the hacker community.
                "
                " Back around 1991 I learned that many hackers who have English as
                " a second language use it in technical discussions even when they
                " share a birth tongue; it was reported to me at the time that
                " English has a richer technical vocabulary than any other language
                " and is therefore simply a better tool for the job. For similar
                " reasons, translations of technical books written in English are
                " often unsatisfactory (when they get done at all).
                "
                " Linus Torvalds, a Finn, comments his code in English (it
                " apparently never occurred to him to do otherwise). His fluency in
                " English has been an important factor in his ability to recruit a
                " worldwide community of developers for Linux. It's an example
                " worth following.
                "
                " Being a native English-speaker does not guarantee that you have
                " language skills good enough to function as a hacker. If your
                " writing is semi-literate, ungrammatical, and riddled with
                " misspellings, many hackers (including myself) will tend to ignore
                " you. While sloppy writing does not invariably mean sloppy
                " thinking, we've generally found the correlation to be strong —
                " and we have no use for sloppy thinkers. If you can't yet write
                " competently, learn to.
                " [...]

                and here:

                http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2009/03/the-ugly-american-programmer.html
                "
                " [...]
                " We're not talking about normal everyday people. We're talking
                " about programmers. Citizens of the internet. People who swear
                " allegiance not to a country, but a compiler. Hackers have their
                " own culture, their own norms and standards for literacy. Eric
                " Raymond notes that functional English is required for true
                " hackers:
                " [...]

                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 2 5:50 PM
                  --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, J <dreadpiratejeff@...> wrote:
                  > On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 12:05 PM, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
                  > > [...]
                  > > Yes, it is. Sometimes, especially if English isn't the first
                  > > language, it can be hard to tell. With America's government
                  > > having becomes so corrupt and taking the needs of big media over
                  > > that of the people they are supposd to serve, what seems a joke
                  > > can often quickly become the truth.
                  > >
                  > > In this case, it is a joke, though, at least for now.
                  >
                  > Yeah, the best April Fool's gags are the ones that leave you not
                  > quite sure it was a joke.
                  >
                  > Obviously (to Americans at least) this was a joke, but at the same
                  > time, given the recent track records of all the parties listed (FBI,
                  > .gov, MPAA, RIAA, etc), while improbable, it doesn't sound totally
                  > implausible. Given that the MPAA and RIAA have had free reign to
                  > sue grandparents and single moms into bankruptcy with nothing more
                  > than an IP address and an army of well-funded lawyers, who knows.
                  > [...]

                  As I wrote previously, if you want to remain informed when the jokes
                  become reality, you need to subscribe to the FAS "Secrecy Email" list
                  to receive info that is not readily available from the US government.

                  I've discussed the FAS and how to subscribe in these three articles:

                  Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:40 pm
                  Free computer and IT security resources mailing lists

                  Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:57 am
                  Apparent cyberattacks force NASA to remove ALL its public data

                  Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:18 pm
                  Information should be free -- how to stay informed

                  In today's FAS email I received the URLs to the latest US military
                  training manuals which include, among 8 others, these two:

                  "Offense and Defense," Volume 1,
                  Field Manual 3-90.1, March 2013:
                  http://www.fas.org/irp/doddir/army/fm3-90-1.pdf 8MB, 286 pages

                  and its companion:

                  "Reconnaissance, Security, and Tactical Enabling Tasks,"
                  Volume 2, Field Manual 3-90.2, March 2013:
                  http://www.fas.org/irp/doddir/army/fm3-90-2.pdf 4.4MB, 112 pages

                  These manuals will be vary useful when the food riots begin in the
                  USA, perhaps later this year or early next year. :-)

                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 3 2:40 AM
                    On Wed, Apr 03, 2013 at 12:31:09AM -0000, thad_floryan wrote:
                    > [...]
                    > http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2009/03/the-ugly-american-programmer.html
                    > "
                    > " [...]
                    > " We're not talking about normal everyday people. We're talking
                    > " about programmers. Citizens of the internet. People who swear
                    > " allegiance not to a country, but a compiler. Hackers have their
                    > " own culture, their own norms and standards for literacy. Eric
                    > " Raymond notes that functional English is required for true
                    > " hackers:
                    > " [...]

                    There's a few non-english languages out there:

                    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-English-based_programming_languages>

                    I did say "few"... Probably not as many as the curly brace languages.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 3 6:54 PM
                      --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, ed <ed@...> wrote:
                      > On Wed, Apr 03, 2013 at 12:31:09AM -0000, thad_floryan wrote:
                      > > [...]
                      > > http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2009/03/the-ugly-american-programmer.html
                      > > "
                      > > " [...]
                      > > " We're not talking about normal everyday people. We're talking
                      > > " [...]
                      >
                      > There's a few non-english languages out there:
                      >
                      > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-English-based_programming_languages>
                      >
                      > I did say "few"... Probably not as many as the curly brace languages.

                      Interesting Wikipedia page. APL is the only one on that page with which
                      I'm "vaguely" familiar. I actually had an APL terminal (and language)
                      at my disposal while working at Tymshare (1960s-1972). It's basically
                      a write-only language since many of its constructs are created by,
                      believe it or not, overstriking previous characters rending a listing
                      unreadable. I just checked and found this:

                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APL_%28programming_language%29

                      which confirms the overstriking, really a stupid design. MATLAB is
                      a far, FAR better language for numerical computing:

                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MATLAB

                      and it can interface easily with programs in C and Fortran and more.
                      Problem with MATLAB is vendor lock-in, so free alternatives such as
                      GNU Octave and others are, perhaps, better choices as the Wikipedia
                      article mentions. Frankly I just do most everything in C nowadays
                      including complex astronomical and physics computations so I can run
                      on multiple platforms.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 4 11:25 AM
                        On Thu, Apr 04, 2013 at 01:54:49AM -0000, thad_floryan wrote:
                        > [...]
                        > which confirms the overstriking, really a stupid design. MATLAB is
                        > a far, FAR better language for numerical computing:

                        On the subject of numerical computing and languages. I learnt something,
                        don't use PERL/Python/ruby/php for applications that are going to do
                        many computations. They're just plain slow. Use Java/c#/c/c++, something
                        that's not dynamically typed. On the other hand, if it's not going to be
                        doing much in the way of numbers and is going to do text comparisons
                        then it doesn't really matter.

                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 4 12:21 PM
                          --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, ed <ed@...> wrote:

                          > On Thu, Apr 04, 2013 at 01:54:49AM -0000, thad_floryan wrote:
                          > > [...]
                          > > which confirms the overstriking, really a stupid design. MATLAB
                          > > is a far, FAR better language for numerical computing:
                          >
                          > On the subject of numerical computing and languages. I learnt
                          > something, don't use PERL/Python/ruby/php for applications that are
                          > going to do many computations. They're just plain slow.

                          Hi Ed,

                          Correct -- they're executing interpretively which, by definition, is
                          slow. I'd add any variant of "basic" to that list, too, except for the
                          few basic that actually compile machine code (e.g., one that I wrote
                          and another that I have on my 3B1 systems.

                          > Use Java/c#/c/c++, something that's not dynamically typed.

                          Correct because "generally" it's compiled code running at hardware
                          speed. But see below for an exception, one of my languages.

                          > On the other hand, if it's not going to be doing much in the way of
                          > numbers and is going to do text comparisons then it doesn't really
                          > matter.

                          It depends. If something is one-off then it really doesn't matter,
                          but if it's going into "production" usage then the implementation
                          language choice is very important.

                          I've designed and written many commercial compilers over the years
                          which have been used by the US government and military and Fortune
                          1000 companies. Most of those were integrated into DBMS systems that
                          I also authored and sold to the same clients, and they generated hard
                          machine code for even simple queries (e.g., "if A > B") and extremely
                          complex (and portable) programs 1000s of lines long.

                          I came up with a new idea generating Machine Independent Code (MIC)
                          and all tests I've run so far show it to be in many cases faster than
                          hand-coded assembly language. The MIC is also immediately portable
                          to numerous hardware platforms (big-/little-endian, fixed or variable
                          word sizes, etc.) and I'm still working on this concept just to keep
                          busy.

                          A little while back I posted several previews of how the above works;
                          see the following for examples:

                          Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:50 pm
                          "Dell Linux netbooks with ARM vs. SheevaPlug with ARM"

                          Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:29 pm
                          "OT: Preview of something I've been working on"

                          The 25-June-2011 article shows more detail. I've already compiled
                          programs of 10,000+ lines in this language and compared them to C
                          equivalents and the runtimes are very close. I've even written a
                          hangman game in this language and it works fine. :-)

                          Note: a fixed-width font is necessary to view the above 2 articles;
                          I'll post a "howto" later today (didn't have time last night).

                          I'm still working on the system but I haven't given it the priority
                          it deserves. I thought I'd have more time now that I'm "retired" but
                          I'm discovering that's not the case since I have so many interests
                          and there's only 24 hours in each day and even I do need to get some
                          sleep occasionally. :-)