Re: Fwd: Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron) reaches End of Life on May 9 2013

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 29, 2013
      --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Dale Miller <stpatrick2@...> wrote:
      > On 3/29/2013 11:04 AM, thad_floryan wrote:
      > > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, J <dreadpiratejeff@> wrote:
      > >> [...]
      > > Thank you for the heads-up. My 8.04.4 system just received some
      > > [...]
      > >> Just kinda sad, as Ubuntu 8.04 was my first Ubuntu, and what
      > >> [...]
      > > My first "permanent" Ubuntu setup was 7.10 which auto-upgraded to
      > > 8.04 during April 2008. ...
      >
      > My first Ubuntu was the very first version which I believe was 4.10.
      > A lot has changed since that first version.

      Hi Dale,

      "A lot has changed" is putting it mildly. :-)

      4.10 was the first per:

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ubuntu_releases

      IIRC circa versions 5.10 and 6.06 Ubuntu was extremely handy as a
      repair distro via the Live CD and I used it frequently to fix issues
      on Windows systems at work.

      Oddly, as I wrote here:

      Tue Jan 3, 2012 2:26 am
      "Unusual Ubuntu 9.10 failure and my fixes"

      I couldn't use a 9.10 Live CD to fix a damaged 9.10 system and,
      instead, I had to use an Lubuntu 10.10 "Live CD" to do so. There's
      some interesting and very useful info in article #59964. I just now
      checked and that article retrieves OK so someone at Yahoo must have
      gotten fired and someone else fixed the first person's brain damage
      of untested code being put in production. Perhaps there's some hope
      for Yahoo after all; we'll see as time progresses. :-)

      Note that article is best viewed using a fixed-width font as is true
      for just about everything I post. And as a follow-up to that article
      I subsequently learned that, yes, my suspicion was correct and the
      user had yanked a USB thumb drive out abruptly and that's when all the
      info regarding the laptop's hard drive disappeared -- my article shows
      how to quickly restore the disk drive info for the following items
      which were all missing and was why the system wouldn't boot:

      /dev/disk/by-id/*
      /dev/disk/by-path/*
      /dev/disk/by-uuid/*
      /dev/sda1
      /dev/sda2
      /dev/sda5

      I additionally later learned the reason the USB drive was yanked out
      in anger was because the person was frustrated using Open Office and
      instead wanted to use Microsoft Office on a Windows system. :-(

      Such is life and I'll be at their home this Sunday for Easter dinner
      and I'll check how that laptop is holding up.