Motherboard shuffle...

  • Joan Leach
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 16 11:20 PM
      Sometimes, I'm glad I don't jump to replace my faster CPUs, since my MSI AMD AM2 motherboards went bad before I ordered the faster CPUs. The replacement motherboard didn't last 2 months, it started doing something weird with both LAN lights blinking fast. When I ended up pulling it I noticed one of the chips had a burn spot around it. When I tried the original one, that I pulled and thought it was just the bad RAM stick...it was still dead as a door nail.
      Luckily, I had a Gigabyte AMD dual-core that I had been testing Win7 on, so I swapped in my Linux 64-bit installed hard drive. Surprise, I had to install faster RAM and 3 GB instead of 1 GB before my Chromium would stop crashing...I had a lot of opened tabs that I had not saved yet.
      I also got back to my old Dual-Opteron, I replaced the power supply and the VGA card, and now my Mageia is updating and seems to be okay with no messages, so far.
      I wish I could buy the AMD AM3 for another of my computers and the faster RAM, so I could use that faster dual-core in the other computer, but my floor vacuum stopped picking up my dog's hair, ouch! that hurt the wallet.
      Joan in Reno