Re: VOIP answer phone suggestions

    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 15, 2013

      =============================

      > > [...]
      > > I can understand setting-up a trap (or honey pot), but how do you
      > > expect scammers/spammers to call it unless you advertise the
      > > number? As you indicated, it's not your "main" number but a
      > > special one for the sole purpose of catching the scam/spammers.
      > >
      > > And I do understand you previously wrote that catching scammers is
      > > a hobby of yours to which I can relate, so I'm not being critical
      > > by any means! :-)
      >
      > Well, when I get mail asking for me to send 100 credits to some
      > foreign customs organisation because my lottery winnings are being
      > held, I often create some sort of difficulty, they get stressed
      > trying to explain it, I play ignorance and request that they call
      > me, or they give in first and want my business number.
      >
      > In the past, I've used flextel to just divert to my mobile,
      > whereupon I answer, and say can you hold a moment? Then turn my mic
      > and speaker off.
      >
      > Scammer gets tied up, frustrated and moves on. But whilst tied up,
      > they're not hassling anyone. We should all do this. I've gained some
      > excitement and fun setting asterisk up, and in the process some
      > scammers will get frustrated :)

      Ah! Now I understand how that's a fun hobby! :-)

      > [...]
      > On the subject of quality home audio, I think it's high time YouTube
      > starts offering a better audio stream. My residential, really dirt
      > cheap PlusNet line, I get 8Mbit/sec, plenty good enough for FLAC.
      > With all the resources google has, the A/V on YouTube isn't
      > brilliant. As a concept, and as a service, it's very popular, just
      > could be better, and home theaters put to more use.

      Right; for Google and YouTube the audio really leaves a lot to be
      desired for the most part. As one example, I have what's known in
      the USA as 'HD Radio' which handles digital broadcasts from what used
      to be analog-broadcasting stations. I actually have 3 HD receivers:
      one in my home office, one in the family room which feeds either that
      room or my kitchen by selecting speakers on the control amp, and
      another in my main movie room. What I generally listen to is what's
      called 'smooth jazz' and there was one selection which has a very odd
      characteristic: an instrument (which I can't identify) which almost
      sounds like someone talking, and I can clearly hear it via all three
      HD radios feeding their corresponding amps, etc. I asked a friend
      in Reno, a musician, to identify the instrument via a YouTube video
      of the selection [Fourplay, 'Sunnymoon'] and he says he can't hear
      anything that sounds like speech as I can over HD Radio, and he has
      an excellent 'ear' given he's a composer and performer and I can't,
      either, from the YouTube videos. So the audio sampling by YouTube
      must really be the bottom of the barrel (e.g., LOW quality). Yet
      some older selections of other compositions I've downloaded over the
      years sound great, so YouTube is deteriorating, too.

      > > [...]
      > > Well, since it seems you've solved the immediate, congratulations!
      >
      > At $job-1 we had several contractors attempt to setup the Asterisk
      > server with the ancient ISDN system that we had already. Months
      > passed and things were still not working. So, to see that SIP was
      > so simple to implement I'm surprised as to what the problems were,
      > and that's me, with no previous experience of Asterisk. Given this
      > was around 2007, the documentation wouldn't have been that bad.

      Sounds like the 'contractors' were incompetent and pulled a fast one.

      In 2007 documentation was excellent, with already the 2nd edition of
      the O'Reilly manual readily available and free (14MB, 604 pages) of
      the book 'Asterisk - The Future of Telephony, 2nd Ed.':

      http://downloads.oreilly.com/books/9780596510480.pdf

      The first edition (June 2005) is still available as a PDF download,
      and the third edition, 'Asterisk - The Definitive Guide, 3rd Ed.' was
      released April 2011 (but I can't reveal the URL to the PDF download).

      Anther great Asterisk book is 'Asterisk Cookbook', O'Reilly,
      ISBN 978-1-449-30382-2, and there's a lot of Asterisk support on the
      'Net since it's the best and most featureful VoIP system out there.

      > [...]
      > Every so often at work, we get new corporate laptops, which come
      > with shiny new Windows operating systems. I find it so hard doing
      > basic things. The other day I was trying to find message headers
      > with Outlook ribbon-version. What a nightmare.

      Using Outlook (aka Lookout) implies an Exchange server is 'somewhere'
      in the picture. Thunderbird works fine with Exchange and one can save
      email as normal 'flat' mbox-stylle ASCII files vs. the idiocy of PSTs
      and all its related garbage.

      > Stuff moves around just making it harder to find from version to
      > version. On the other hand, like you say, things can be done with
      > Linux. Surprisingly simple too. So why do MS want to make life
      > difficult? All that money and all those developer resources at
      > their disposal.

      Most of their 'developers' are illegal (my opinion) H-1B visa types
      hired by Microsoft so M$ doesn't have to pay the 2-3x higher salaries
      for competent American developers/programmers.

      If you're unaware of what the H-1B visa stuff is all about, it's an
      illegal (my opinion) reversal of outsourcing where the same idiots are
      instead brought to America to displace American workers instead of a
      company sending the work outside the USA to the same idiots and very
      incompetent developers/programmers:

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H-1B_visa

      > > [...]
      > > Hmmm, looking up 4 lines it looks like Yahoo may have fixed the
      > > retrieval errors from the message archives -- seeing the left and
      > > right brackets around URLs had been destroyed since December 2012
      > > during one of Yahoo's FUBAR SNAFU fests. I wonder if my griping in
      > > many Yahoo groups AND Usenet groups finally got someone's
      > > attention.
      >
      > I hope so, their changes seem to be rather pointless, maybe they
      > have finally dragged someone back to the code kicking and
      > screaming? I don't do much interaction through their archives, so I
      > rarely notice the problems that affect web message browsing.

      I frequently attempt to cite previous articles in the group's message
      archives to avoid having to repeat the same material ad nauseum. When
      the archived article isn't retrieved properly due to Yahoo incompetence
      I get PO'd and I've been really dissing Yahoo and its new idiot CEO
      in a LOT of public venues so I'm sure word has gotten back to Yahoo:

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marissa_Mayer

      > [...]
      > For a few months I was thinking that if things get that bad and if
      > most people interact over HTTP, Yahoo will loose a huge portion of
      > their technical users to stupid mistakes.

      Yahoo has been making stupid misteaks (sic) for years now. They once
      tried to change the Groups Web interface (for example):

      http://thadlabs.com/PIX/Yahoo_mysky_old.jpg original form

      http://thadlabs.com/PIX/Yahoo_mysky_new.jpg fecebook/gangnam form

      Idiots. Yahoo's board is even idioter (is this a real word or did I
      just make something up?) by having too many CEOs. The Yahoo board
      members were all termed 'doofuses' by the 5th-to-last CEO they fired,
      Carol Bartz (formerly of Autodesk):

      Marissa Mayer (2012–present)
      Ross Levinsohn Interim (2012)
      Scott Thompson (2012)
      Tim Morse Interim (2011–2012)
      Carol Bartz (2009–2011)
      Jerry Yang (2007–2009)
      Terry Semel (2001–2007)
      Timothy Koogle (1995–2001)

      Musical chairs like that is a clear sign of a failing company run by
      idiots. Current problem is that their latest CEO, Mayer, will make a
      fortune whether Yahoo succeeds or fails, so what's the incentive for
      her to succeed given it's $50 million either way. And they just gave
      her a multi-million bonus for a minuscule rise in Yahoo's stock price
      when all she's doing is occupying a chair and nursing her baby at work.

      Note the definition(s) of 'Yahoo':

      http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/yahoo

      an uncultivated or boorish person; lout; philistine; yokel.

      http://www.thefreedictionary.com/yahoo

      a person who is not very intelligent or interested in culture

      http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/yahoo

      a boorish, crass, or stupid person

      I rest my case. :-)