Re: Please help me figure out a puzzle RE: My server motherboard...

    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 13 6:28 PM
      --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, "C. Beck" <usabecker@...> wrote:

      > On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 10:45 PM, Joan Leach <jleach728@...> wrote:
      > > [...]
      > > Currently I have 4 GB of PC2100 ECC RAM, when I tried to use 8 GB,
      > > my VGA display had horizontal lines, they stopped when I went back
      > > to 4 GB, any ideas?
      >
      > Could this happen if single channel memory modules were used when the
      > system was looking for two channels to communicate? I'm not much of a
      > hardware guy and my understanding there is pretty limited. My
      > apologies if the suggestion makes no sense.

      RAM can always be troublesome. I'm looking right now at the motherboard
      Joan emailed to me earlier this year.

      On page 1-9 we see:

      Eight dual/single channel DIMM slots supporting up to 32 GB of
      registered ECC DDR266 or up to 16 GB of registered ECC DDR400/333
      SDRAM
      Note: Memory capacities are halved for single CPU systems. Refer
      to Section 2-4 before installing.

      on page 2-5:

      The H8DA8/H8DAE/H8DAR-8/H8DAR-i supports single or dual-channel,
      registered ECC DDR400/333/266 SDRAM.

      Both interleaved and non-interleaved memory are supported, so you
      may populate any number of DIMM slots (see note on previous page
      and charts on following page). The CPU2 DIMM slots can only be
      accessed when two CPUs are installed (however, the CPU2 DIMM
      slots are not required to be populated when two CPUs are
      installed).

      Populating two adjacent slots at a time with memory modules of
      the same size and type will result in interleaved (128-bit)
      memory, which is faster than non-interleaved (64-bit) memory.

      Optimizing memory performance

      If two processors are installed, it is better to stagger pairs of
      DIMMs across both sets of CPU DIMM slots, e.g. fi rst populate
      CPU1 slots 1A and 1B, then CPU2 slots 1A, and 1B, then the next
      two CPU1 slots, etc. This balances the load over both CPUs to
      optimize performance.

      Maximum memory (two CPUs):

      32 GB for DDR266 and 16 GB for DDR400/333. If only one CPU is
      installed, maximum supported memory is halved (16 GB for DDR266
      and 8 GB for DDR400/333).

      and on page 3-3 in the FAQ:

      The H8DA8/H8DAE/H8DAR-8/H8DAR-i supports up to 32 GB of registered
      ECC DDR266 or up to 16 GB of registered ECC DDR400/333 interleaved
      or non-interleaved SDRAM with two CPUs installed. With only one
      CPU installed the maximum memory support is halved.

      page 4-15, BIOS

      DRAM ECC allows hardware to report and correct memory errors
      automatically. Options are Enabled and Disabled.

      That's it. I know Joan wrote "4 GB of PC2100 ECC RAM, when I tried
      to use 8 GB, my VGA display had horizontal lines, they stopped when I
      went back to 4 GB, any ideas?"

      One final guess: the video card/chip is stealing RAM and the you know
      what it hitting the fan.