Re: [linux] Bad news for Ubuntu desktop users: Canonical abandoning X

    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 7 4:57 AM
      On Thu, Mar 07, 2013 at 03:07:02AM -0800, Thad Floryan wrote:
      > The following URL was just sent to me by a correspondent:
      >
      > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MirSpec
      >
      > It's intended for the YOLO GenX smartphone/tablet crowd as I see
      > it but it will also infect desktops and Canonical drops X for the
      > Mir and/or Wayland [isn't that the company that breeds aliens as
      > in ALIEN, ALIENS, etc.].
      >
      > Is Canonical now funded by the Russians? My Dad spoke 7 languages
      > (English, French, German, Spanish, Russian, Polish, and Italian)
      > which is one reason why he was on the US Joint Chiefs of Staff and
      > also was occasionally attached to the CIA, and "mir" is one Russian
      > word I just happen to know which means "world".

      Someone else said it was Russian for peace. (Plenty of posts about it.)

      This is one where I see where they (Ubuntu) are coming from. (Ubuntu by
      the way, is an African word, frequently translated as I can't configure
      Debian).

      I do no programming save simple shell scripts, so don't know how correct or
      incorrect it is--but apparently neither X nor Wayland will fill their
      anticipated needs--or possibly Mr. Shuttleworth doesn't want to deal with
      the pettiness of open source projects and the wasted time it consumes, so
      he said the heck with it, we'll do our own. (Which may have been what
      happened with Unity too--I VAGUELY, meaning could easily be wrong, remember
      hearing that issues with the Gnome folks were one of the reasons for Unity.

      Giles: (scoffs) Magic! Magic's all balderdash and chicanery. I'm
      afraid we don't know a bloody thing. (everyone looking at him)
      Except I seem to be British, don't I? Uh, and a man. With ...
      glasses. (removes glasses) Well, that narrows it down
      considerably.
      Message 2 of 25 , Mar 7 4:58 AM
        On Thu, Mar 07, 2013 at 11:12:18AM -0000, thad_floryan wrote:
        > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Thad Floryan <thad@...> wrote:
        > > [...]
        > > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MirSpec
        > > [...]
        > > ... and "mir" is one Russian
        > > word I just happen to know which means "world".
        > >
        > > It seems odd to me that Canonical would choose that word.
        >
        > D'oh, headslap and facepalm. I had forgotten Shuttleworth had paid the
        > Russians to take a ride into space, so that's probably where he heard
        > the word 'mir'.

        It's also a German word for me, isn't it, in some case or another
        (ablative? No, that's Latin). Well, something or other.

        Buffy: I don't wanna' bug Giles. He's still kinda' twitchy
        when it comes to the subject of Angel.

        Xander: Oh, it must be that whole 'Angel killed his girlfriend and
        tortured him' thing, and Giles is petty when it comes to stuff like
        that.
      • C. Beck
        Message 3 of 25 , Mar 7 12:40 PM
          On Mar 7, 2013 6:57 AM, "Scott" <scottro@...> wrote:

          > This is one where I see where they (Ubuntu) are coming from. (Ubuntu by
          > the way, is an African word, frequently translated as I can't configure
          > Debian).

          Ha!

          And I am fairly confident the Debian installation files have all been
          overwritten by 'false' at some point.

          Message 4 of 25 , Mar 7 9:59 PM
            --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
            > On Thu, Mar 07, 2013 at 03:07:02AM -0800, Thad Floryan wrote:
            > > The following URL was just sent to me by a correspondent:
            > >
            > > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MirSpec
            > >
            > > It's intended for the YOLO GenX smartphone/tablet crowd as I see
            > > it but it will also infect desktops and Canonical drops X for the
            > > Mir and/or Wayland [isn't that the company that breeds aliens as
            > > in ALIEN, ALIENS, etc.].
            > >
            > > Is Canonical now funded by the Russians? My Dad spoke 7 languages
            > > (English, French, German, Spanish, Russian, Polish, and Italian)
            > > which is one reason why he was on the US Joint Chiefs of Staff and
            > > also was occasionally attached to the CIA, and "mir" is one
            > > Russian word I just happen to know which means "world".
            > >

            > Someone else said it was Russian for peace. (Plenty of posts about
            > it.)

            So, just because it's on the Internet it's correct? :-)

            Well, the "somebody else" is simply wrong. You can visit:

            http://translate.google.com/

            and enter "mir" and ask to translate Russian to English and the result
            is "world" and if you do the opposite for English to Russian and enter
            "world" and you'll see what looks like an upper case 'M' followed by a
            backwards "N" and finally a lower case "p" [I really cannot enter any
            Cyrillic text into this message] == "MNp" and the word with Cyrillic
            characters is pronounced as "meer" (rolling the "R" sound like I'd do
            with German and is why I cannot speak any of the Latin languages such
            as Latin, French, Spanish, Italian, etc).

            > This is one where I see where they (Ubuntu) are coming from.
            > (Ubuntu by the way, is an African word, frequently translated as I
            > can't configure Debian).

            Actually I've heard it as being unable to install Slackware. :-)

            > I do no programming save simple shell scripts, so don't know how
            > correct or incorrect it is -- but apparently neither X nor Wayland
            > will fill their anticipated needs -- or possibly Mr. Shuttleworth
            > doesn't want to deal with the pettiness of open source projects and
            > the wasted time it consumes, so he said the heck with it, we'll do
            > our own. (Which may have been what happened with Unity too -- I
            > VAGUELY, meaning could easily be wrong, remember hearing that issues
            > issues with the Gnome folks were one of the reasons for Unity.

            Understood, which is why I kinda get the impression Ubuntu might soon
            no longer be a viable desktop distro given their present direction.

            I can sympathize with Mark Shuttleworth re: GNOME issues since GNOME
            has been assimilated by Red Hat and you know who works at Red Hat, our
            arch foe Lennart Poeterring who believes that ALL other Linux distros
            are just so much garbage to be flushed down the drain as he continues
            to disrupt the Linux world with PulseAudio, systemd, etc.

            Message 5 of 25 , Mar 7 10:41 PM
              --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
              > On Thu, Mar 07, 2013 at 11:12:18AM -0000, thad_floryan wrote:
              > > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Thad Floryan <thad@> wrote:
              > > > [...]
              > > > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MirSpec
              > > > [...]
              > > > ... and "mir" is one Russian
              > > > word I just happen to know which means "world".
              > > >
              > > > It seems odd to me that Canonical would choose that word.
              > >
              > > D'oh, headslap and facepalm. I had forgotten Shuttleworth had
              > > paid the Russians to take a ride into space, so that's probably
              > > where he heard the word 'mir'.
              > >
              > It's also a German word for me, isn't it, in some case or another
              > (ablative? No, that's Latin). Well, something or other.

              No, you're correct re: mir in German. It's been over 50 years since I
              last spoke German but I still remember a lot of vocabulary even though
              there's no one local to me with whom I could still "practice" speaking.

              I kind of have a fondness for learning new languages but the issue is
              always finding a co-partner who speaks it. One of my interests you
              may remember concerns the "Voynich Manuscript":

              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voynich_manuscript

              I have just about everything imaginable that's available about that
              because it's an intriguing document that's baffled everyone for over
              500 years.

              Some of my contacts at the NSA (USA's National Security Agency) clued
              me into the following knowing my long background with cryptography and
              computer security (mostly at Adalogic, Inc. and Sigaba, Inc.):

              http://www.nsa.gov/about/_files/cryptologic_heritage/publications/misc/voynich_manuscript.pdf

              http://www.nsa.gov/public_info/_files/cryptologic_quarterly/johnhtiltman.pdf

              I previously wrote about the Voynich Manuscript in these two messages:

              Tue Feb 2, 2010 9:25 pm
              "Re: Samba Oddity"

              and

              Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:57 pm
              "Install TrueType Fonts on Ubuntu and other distros"

              but the damnable Yahoo still badly mangles most the URLs in those two
              (and everything else) messages when attempting to retrieve them which
              is why I've been dissing Yahoo so much recently and hope they fire the
              new CEO, Marissa Mayer, ASAP since all these problems have occurred on
              her watch over the past 7 months while she only occupies a chair and
              nurses her baby at the Yahoo HQ and babbles inanities and stupidities
              to the press.

              Hmmm, most URLs in (#1) above are OK [the few defects are readily
              noticeable] and (#2) shows most URLs OK except for the l-o-n-g ones
              that were bracketed with left and right angle brackets *AND* have
              no blank lines between them.

              In any event ...

              I really, REALLY need to put all my Voynich material on my website
              before any of it is lost to the world forever; it's now on my TO-DO
              list.

              Thad
            • jerry_mccarthy_uk
              Message 6 of 25 , Mar 8 3:10 AM
                > So, just because it's on the Internet it's correct? :-)
                >
                > Well, the "somebody else" is simply wrong. You can visit:
                >
                > http://translate.google.com/
                >
                > and enter "mir" and ask to translate Russian to English and the result
                > is "world" and if you do the opposite for English to Russian and enter
                > "world" and you'll see what looks like an upper case 'M' followed by a
                > backwards "N" and finally a lower case "p".

                In fact, when I entered "mir" (in Cyrillic: ìèð) Google Translate gave me a list including both "World" and "Peace". It also gives "mir" (ìèð) in response to "peace".

                Words are allowed to have more than one meaning....

                Regards, Jerry McCarthy, U.K.
                Message 7 of 25 , Mar 8 5:12 AM
                  On Fri, Mar 08, 2013 at 05:59:19AM -0000, thad_floryan wrote:
                  > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
                  > > On Thu, Mar 07, 2013 at 03:07:02AM -0800, Thad Floryan wrote:
                  > > > The following URL was just sent to me by a correspondent:
                  > > >
                  > > > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MirSpec
                  > > >
                  > > > It's intended for the YOLO GenX smartphone/tablet crowd as I see
                  > > > it but it will also infect desktops and Canonical drops X for the
                  > > > Mir and/or Wayland [isn't that the company that breeds aliens as
                  > > > in ALIEN, ALIENS, etc.].
                  > > >
                  > > > Is Canonical now funded by the Russians? My Dad spoke 7 languages
                  > > > (English, French, German, Spanish, Russian, Polish, and Italian)
                  > > > which is one reason why he was on the US Joint Chiefs of Staff and
                  > > > also was occasionally attached to the CIA, and "mir" is one
                  > > > Russian word I just happen to know which means "world".
                  > > >

                  > > Someone else said it was Russian for peace. (Plenty of posts about
                  > > it.)
                  >
                  > So, just because it's on the Internet it's correct? :-)

                  Well, no,not unless it's on cracked.com, the only Interne site that seems
                  to expect some research from its writers. :)

                  (Sad but true,by the way--one can no longer trust the usual sources--ah,
                  for the days of Woodward and Bernstein, but that's another story)

                  > Well, the "somebody else" is simply wrong. You can visit:
                  >
                  > http://translate.google.com/
                  >
                  > and enter "mir" and ask to translate Russian to English and the result
                  > is "world" and if you do the opposite for English to Russian and enter
                  > "world" and you'll see what looks like an upper case 'M' followed by a
                  > backwards "N" and finally a lower case "p" [I really cannot enter any
                  > Cyrillic text into this message] == "MNp" and the word with Cyrillic
                  > characters is pronounced as "meer" (rolling the "R" sound like I'd do
                  > with German and is why I cannot speak any of the Latin languages such
                  > as Latin, French, Spanish, Italian, etc).

                  Oh yeah? So, it's on the Internet and it must be true? (That strikes _me_
                  as a funny joke on my part, but I'm sleepy and feel as if, once again, I'm
                  coming down with a cold--sigh, age is a horrible thing--so it's probably
                  not that funny).

                  Seriously, I think my first thought (too much shopping on NewEgg), was Mail
                  In Rebate.

                  > > This is one where I see where they (Ubuntu) are coming from.
                  > > (Ubuntu by the way, is an African word, frequently translated as I
                  > > can't configure Debian).
                  >
                  > Actually I've heard it as being unable to install Slackware. :-)

                  Oh, c'mon the Debian one was funny--the first time I heard it was from a
                  developer on the Tokyo Linux Group list, Curt Sampson, don't know if it's
                  his original joke or not.

                  > > I do no programming save simple shell scripts, so don't know how
                  > > correct or incorrect it is -- but apparently neither X nor Wayland
                  > > will fill their anticipated needs -- or possibly Mr. Shuttleworth
                  > > doesn't want to deal with the pettiness of open source projects and
                  > > the wasted time it consumes, so he said the heck with it, we'll do
                  > > our own. (Which may have been what happened with Unity too -- I
                  > > VAGUELY, meaning could easily be wrong, remember hearing that issues
                  > > issues with the Gnome folks were one of the reasons for Unity.
                  >
                  > Understood, which is why I kinda get the impression Ubuntu might soon
                  > no longer be a viable desktop distro given their present direction.
                  >
                  > I can sympathize with Mark Shuttleworth re: GNOME issues since GNOME
                  > has been assimilated by Red Hat and you know who works at Red Hat, our
                  > arch foe Lennart Poeterring who believes that ALL other Linux distros
                  > are just so much garbage to be flushed down the drain as he continues
                  > to disrupt the Linux world with PulseAudio, systemd, etc.

                  Heh, don't get me started. The funny thing is that some of the hot debates
                  on Fedora forums are usually tempests in teapots, things that two weeks
                  later will be meaningless, but Mr P's adventures will affect us all.

                  Buffy: I don't play well with others.
                  Message 8 of 25 , Mar 8 5:20 AM
                    On Fri, Mar 08, 2013 at 11:10:06AM -0000, jerry_mccarthy_uk wrote:
                    > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, "thad_floryan" <thad@...> wrote:
                    > > So, just because it's on the Internet it's correct? :-)
                    > >
                    > > Well, the "somebody else" is simply wrong. You can visit:
                    > >
                    > > http://translate.google.com/
                    > >
                    > > and enter "mir" and ask to translate Russian to English and the result
                    > > is "world" and if you do the opposite for English to Russian and enter
                    > > "world" and you'll see what looks like an upper case 'M' followed by a
                    > > backwards "N" and finally a lower case "p".
                    >
                    > In fact, when I entered "mir" (in Cyrillic: ìèð) Google Translate gave me a list including both "World" and "Peace". It also gives "mir" (ìèð) in response to "peace".

                    HA! Take THAT, Internet. Or me. Or Thad, or someone.
                    Darn, what was that quote... (from John Cheese's book, available for
                    $1--I'm going to post the link because I'm sure there are other Cheese
                    fans here--this is John Cheese, the cracked.com writer--

                    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/292690

                    It does require registration on the site to purchase the book..

                    Anyway, lots of true Internet quotes there. :)

                    Willow: Oz is a werewolf.
                    Buffy: It's a long story.
                    Oz: Got bit.
                    Buffy: But obviously not that long.
                    Message 9 of 25 , Mar 9 7:26 PM
                      --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, "jerry_mccarthy_uk" <jerry_mccarthy_uk@...> wrote:
                      > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, "thad_floryan" <thad@> wrote:
                      > > So, just because it's on the Internet it's correct? :-)
                      > >
                      > > Well, the "somebody else" is simply wrong. You can visit:
                      > >
                      > > http://translate.google.com/
                      > >
                      > > and enter "mir" and ask to translate Russian to English and the
                      > > result is "world" and if you do the opposite for English to
                      > > Russian and enter "world" and you'll see what looks like an upper
                      > > case 'M' followed by a backwards "N" and finally a lower case "p".
                      >

                      > In fact, when I entered "mir" (in Cyrillic: ìèð) Google Translate
                      > gave me a list including both "World" and "Peace". It also gives
                      > "mir" (ìèð) in response to "peace".
                      >
                      > Words are allowed to have more than one meaning....

                      Hi Jerry,

                      True, but if you used the same URL I did (above) it's odd that only
                      one translated word was provided to me and two for you. I wonder if
                      that might be because I'm NOT logged-into anything Google and even
                      though your email is 'yahoo.co.uk' (which is the same Yahoo email I
                      use per http://thadlabs.com/PIX/Yahoo_UK_email.jpg for its better
                      security) you might be logged-into some Google service? ¿Quién sabe?

                      Message 10 of 25 , Mar 9 7:43 PM
                        --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
                        > On Fri, Mar 08, 2013 at 05:59:19AM -0000, thad_floryan wrote:
                        >> --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@> wrote:

                        >>>[...]
                        >>[...]
                        >> Well, the "somebody else" is simply wrong. You can visit:
                        >>
                        >> http://translate.google.com/
                        >>
                        >> and enter "mir" and ask to translate Russian to English and the
                        >> result is "world" and if you do the opposite for English to
                        >> Russian and ...
                        >> [...]
                        > [...]
                        > Seriously, I think my first thought (too much shopping on NewEgg),
                        > was Mail In Rebate.

                        Heh! Those "MIR" come in handy -- I get many US$100s each year.

                        But if it wasn't for my Dad defining "mir" as "world" decades ago I
                        wouldn't be sort-of 'defending' Google's translation which produced
                        the same [single [for me]] translated word 'world'.

                        With that written, a search found this from 1996:

                        http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/history/shuttle-mir/references/r-documents-mirmeanings.htm

                        where it's written in the opening sentence there:

                        " For a Russian, the word "Mir" holds meaning, feeling, and
                        " history. It is sometimes translated into English as "world," or
                        " as "peace," or as "village," but a single-word translation
                        " misses its full significance.

                        which I'll accept even though I don't trust NASA as much now as I used
                        to do.

                        Message 11 of 25 , Mar 9 8:08 PM
                          > With that written, a search found this from 1996:
                          >
                          > http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/history/shuttle-mir/references/r-documents-mirmeanings.htm
                          > [...]

                          Speaking of NASA, you might recall in one of my postings several days
                          ago I mentioned "The Voynich Manuscript", the NSA, etc etc and this:

                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voynich_manuscript

                          NASA's APOD (Astronomy Picture Of the Day) has featured it 3 times
                          since APOD began its daily service on 16-JUNE-1995:

                          http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap100131.html 31-JAN-2010

                          http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap050122.html 22-JAN-2005

                          http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap020826.html 26-AUG-2002

                          with a different-sized picture of the same page each time.

                          Hmmm, looks like NASA hasn't fixed their "Y2K" problem yet; the first
                          NASA URL above should have had "2010" instead of "10" like so:

                          http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap20100131.html

                          :-)

                          Message 12 of 25 , Mar 9 9:05 PM
                            --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
                            > On Fri, Mar 08, 2013 at 11:10:06AM -0000, jerry_mccarthy_uk wrote:
                            >> --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, "thad_floryan" <thad@> wrote:
                            >>> So, just because it's on the Internet it's correct? :-)
                            >>>
                            >>> Well, the "somebody else" is simply wrong. You can visit:
                            >>>
                            >>> http://translate.google.com/
                            >>>
                            >>> and enter "mir" and ask to translate Russian to English and the result
                            >>> is "world" and if you do the opposite for English to Russian and enter
                            >>> "world" and you'll see what looks like an upper case 'M' followed by a
                            >>> backwards "N" and finally a lower case "p".
                            >>
                            >> In fact, when I entered "mir" (in Cyrillic: ìèð) Google
                            >> Translate gave me a list including both "World" and "Peace". It
                            >> also gives "mir" (ìèð) in response to "peace".
                            > >

                            > HA! Take THAT, Internet. Or me. Or Thad, or someone.
                            > Darn, what was that quote... (from John Cheese's book, available for
                            > $1 -- I'm going to post the link because I'm sure there are other
                            > Cheese fans here -- this is John Cheese, the cracked.com writer
                            >
                            > http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/292690
                            >
                            > It does require registration on the site to purchase the book..
                            >
                            > Anyway, lots of true Internet quotes there. :)

                            Amazingly, Google didn't find a FREE PDF download of that book (yet).

                            The book was published 3 days ago (6-MAR-2013) and my observations
                            over the years has shown it takes about a week before pirates will
                            make it available (as is the case for most all $50+ computer-related
                            books).

                            I suppose that for the retail price of only US$0.99 no one wants to
                            chance pirating it so far. :-)

                            Thanks for the URL of http://www.cracked.com/ as it seems they have
                            some "interesting" things there. :-)

                            Message 13 of 25 , Mar 9 9:42 PM
                              On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 05:05:44AM -0000, thad_floryan wrote:

                              > > Darn, what was that quote... (from John Cheese's book, available for
                              > > $1 -- I'm going to post the link because I'm sure there are other
                              > > Cheese fans here -- this is John Cheese, the cracked.com writer
                              > >
                              > > http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/292690
                              > >
                              > > It does require registration on the site to purchase the book..
                              > >
                              > > Anyway, lots of true Internet quotes there. :)
                              >
                              > Amazingly, Google didn't find a FREE PDF download of that book (yet).
                              >
                              > The book was published 3 days ago (6-MAR-2013) and my observations
                              > over the years has shown it takes about a week before pirates will
                              > make it available (as is the case for most all $50+ computer-related
                              > books).

                              > I suppose that for the retail price of only US$0.99 no one wants to
                              > chance pirating it so far. :-)

                              Well....for one thing, the folks that would buy it are probably people who
                              read his articles on cracked. One of his recurring themes is how poor he
                              was. So, even those who pirate might not with him. Sure, someone will,
                              sooner or later, but most people who would want to read it think, Oh
                              shucks, it's only a dollar.

                              > Thanks for the URL of http://www.cracked.com/ as it seems they have
                              > some "interesting" things there. :-)

                              I check it daily. Their columnists, ironically, seem to be some of the few
                              who actually research things.

                              Xander: I laugh in the face of danger. Then I hide until it
                              goes away
                            • jerry_mccarthy_uk
                              Message 14 of 25 , Mar 10 9:39 AM
                                > Hi Jerry,
                                >
                                > True, but if you used the same URL I did (above) it's odd that only
                                > one translated word was provided to me and two for you. I wonder if
                                > that might be because I'm NOT logged-into anything Google and even
                                > though your email is 'yahoo.co.uk' (which is the same Yahoo email I
                                > use per http://thadlabs.com/PIX/Yahoo_UK_email.jpg for its better
                                > security) you might be logged-into some Google service? ¿Quién sabe?
                                >
                                > Thad

                                Hallo Thad,

                                No, I don't specifically log into any Google services.

                                Here is a screen shot: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/66367494/mir.jpg
                                showing multiple translations with a frequency analysis.

                                The difference is perhaps Javascript or browser related?

                                I'm using Windows 7 with Chrome if that makes any difference;
                                however, I don't obey the nagging to log into Chrome either.

                                Regards, Jerry McCarthy, U.K.
                                Message 15 of 25 , Mar 10 3:20 PM
                                  --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
                                  > On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 05:05:44AM -0000, thad_floryan wrote:
                                  > > > [...]
                                  > > > Darn, what was that quote... (from John Cheese's book,
                                  > > > available for $1 -- I'm going to post the link because I'm sure
                                  > > > there are other Cheese fans here -- this is John Cheese, the
                                  > > > cracked.com writer

                                  "Cheese"? Really? Cheese and crack[ers] ? :-)

                                  > > > [...]
                                  > > > http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/292690
                                  > > >
                                  > > > It does require registration on the site to purchase the book..
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Anyway, lots of true Internet quotes there. :)
                                  > >
                                  > > Amazingly, Google didn't find a FREE PDF download of that book
                                  > > (yet).
                                  > >
                                  > > The book was published 3 days ago (6-MAR-2013) and my observations
                                  > Well .... for one thing, the folks that would buy it are probably
                                  > people who read his articles on cracked. One of his recurring
                                  > themes is how poor he was. So, even those who pirate might not
                                  > with him. Sure, someone will, sooner or later, but most people who
                                  > would want to read it think, Oh shucks, it's only a dollar.
                                  > > [...]
                                  > > Thanks for the URL of http://www.cracked.com/ as it seems they
                                  > > have some "interesting" things there. :-)
                                  >
                                  > I check it daily. Their columnists, ironically, seem to be some of
                                  > the few who actually research things.

                                  I've added it to my daily read list along with the Daily WTF, Abstruse
                                  Goose, and XKCD.

                                  Thanks again for the URL to Cracked!

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Mar 10 4:32 PM
                                    --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, "jerry_mccarthy_uk" <jerry_mccarthy_uk@...> wrote:
                                    >> --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, "thad_floryan" <thad@> wrote:
                                    > > [...]
                                    > > True, but if you used the same URL I did (above) it's odd that
                                    > > only one translated word was provided to me and two for you. I
                                    > > wonder if that might be because I'm NOT logged-into anything
                                    > > Google and even though your email is 'yahoo.co.uk' (which is the
                                    > > same Yahoo email I use per
                                    > > http://thadlabs.com/PIX/Yahoo_UK_email.jpg
                                    > > for its better security) you might be logged-into some Google
                                    > > service? ¿Quién sabe?
                                    >
                                    > No, I don't specifically log into any Google services.
                                    >
                                    > Here is a screen shot: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/66367494/mir.jpg
                                    > showing multiple translations with a frequency analysis.
                                    >
                                    > The difference is perhaps Javascript or browser related?
                                    >
                                    > I'm using Windows 7 with Chrome if that makes any difference;
                                    > however, I don't obey the nagging to log into Chrome either.

                                    Hi Jerry,

                                    Hmmm. The picture you cite above shows Google providing only one
                                    word, 'world', for the translation as it does for me. You wrote
                                    previously Google would return two translated words: world & peace.

                                    Seeing that keyboard in that picture is interesting, perhaps I need to
                                    read more about how to use the translator, and the frequency analysis
                                    is useful, too, noting just now 'peace' appears in that list and not
                                    as the single translated word to the right of the input box.

                                    I have never before seen both the keyboard and the frequency analysis;
                                    I wonder if that's a function of using the Chrome browser?

                                    Given my distrust of Google there's no way I'm going to install Chrome
                                    on any of my systems (Linux, WinXP, Vista or Win7).

                                    Yesterday I posted a NASA URL which refined the defintion of 'mir' --
                                    apparently that simple word has a wide-reaching meaning in Russian
                                    culture.

                                    Learn something new every day! :-)

                                    Thad
                                  • jerry_mccarthy_uk
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Mar 11 2:37 AM
                                      > Hi Jerry,
                                      >
                                      > Hmmm. The picture you cite above shows Google providing only one
                                      > word, 'world', for the translation as it does for me. You wrote
                                      > previously Google would return two translated words: world & peace.

                                      Well, this is bizarre; at the bottom right of my screen shot at
                                      https://dl.dropbox.com/u/66367494/mir.jpg
                                      do you not see a vertical list of words "world", "universe", "peace",
                                      "kingdom", etc, etc with a bar chart showing frequency of use
                                      to the left of each word?

                                      Can anybody else on this list see them?

                                      Regards, Jerry McCarthy, U.K.
                                    • J
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Mar 11 2:42 AM
                                        On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 5:37 PM, jerry_mccarthy_uk
                                        <jerry_mccarthy_uk@...> wrote:
                                        > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, "thad_floryan" <thad@...> wrote:
                                        >> Hi Jerry,
                                        >>
                                        >> Hmmm. The picture you cite above shows Google providing only one
                                        >> word, 'world', for the translation as it does for me. You wrote
                                        >> previously Google would return two translated words: world & peace.
                                        >
                                        > Well, this is bizarre; at the bottom right of my screen shot at
                                        > https://dl.dropbox.com/u/66367494/mir.jpg
                                        > do you not see a vertical list of words "world", "universe", "peace",
                                        > "kingdom", etc, etc with a bar chart showing frequency of use
                                        > to the left of each word?
                                        >
                                        > Can anybody else on this list see them?
                                        >
                                        > Regards, Jerry McCarthy, U.K.

                                        Yeah, it's in the screenshot...

                                        I would guess that this is probably just one those words that has no
                                        direct English translation.
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Mar 11 7:13 AM
                                          --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, "jerry_mccarthy_uk" <jerry_mccarthy_uk@...> wrote:
                                          > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, "thad_floryan" <thad@> wrote:
                                          > > Hi Jerry,
                                          > >
                                          > > Hmmm. The picture you cite above shows Google providing only one
                                          > > word, 'world', for the translation as it does for me. You wrote
                                          > > previously Google would return two translated words: world & peace.
                                          >
                                          > Well, this is bizarre; at the bottom right of my screen shot at
                                          > https://dl.dropbox.com/u/66367494/mir.jpg
                                          > do you not see a vertical list of words "world", "universe", "peace",
                                          > "kingdom", etc, etc with a bar chart showing frequency of use
                                          > to the left of each word?

                                          Hi Jerry,

                                          Somehow our postings must be crossing the pond at different rates due
                                          to the Daylight Savings Time transition or some mass coronal ejecta
                                          from the Sun. :-)

                                          My last reply was that there is only one translation to the right of
                                          the input box at Google Translate in your picture at dropbox, and that
                                          your picture also shows the frequency analysis in which the word peace
                                          does appear. I cannot determine how to get such a frequency analysis
                                          display or the keyboard display using Firefox (you used Chrome).

                                          Summarizing again:

                                          Both you and I receive "world" as the single translated word for "mir"
                                          at the right of the translation input window as shown in your picture.

                                          You ALSO receive the frequency analysis in which "peace" and other
                                          words appear.

                                          The difference in what we see on our own systems may be a function of
                                          the browser (you use Chrome, I use Firefox) and some hitherto hidden
                                          configuration settings.

                                          I'll poke around the Google Translate page and see if there's some way
                                          I can cause the frequency analysis to be displayed along with the
                                          keyboard for entering Cyrillic (non-Roman) characters.

                                          Message 20 of 25 , Mar 11 7:22 AM
                                            --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, J <dreadpiratejeff@...> wrote:
                                            > On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 5:37 PM, jerry_mccarthy_uk
                                            > <jerry_mccarthy_uk@...> wrote:
                                            > > [...]
                                            > > Well, this is bizarre; at the bottom right of my screen shot at
                                            > > https://dl.dropbox.com/u/66367494/mir.jpg
                                            > > do you not see a vertical list of words "world", "universe",
                                            > > "peace", "kingdom", etc, etc with a bar chart showing frequency of
                                            > > use to the left of each word?
                                            > >
                                            > [...]
                                            > Yeah, it's in the screenshot...
                                            >
                                            > I would guess that this is probably just one those words that has no
                                            > direct English translation.

                                            As I wrote earlier in this thread, NASA refines the definition of "mir"
                                            because that one simple one-syllable word has a myriad of implications
                                            in Russian culture. Here's the URL again:

                                            http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/history/shuttle-mir/references/r-documents-mirmeanings.htm

                                            Are folks not scrolling down past the first page to read the entirety
                                            of postings and replies?

                                            Everyone in this group has been very good about trimming crap posting replies and if one is not scrolling down past the first screen's worth
                                            there is often a lot of new content that will be overlooked.

                                            Message 21 of 25 , Mar 11 7:49 AM
                                              > I'll poke around the Google Translate page and see if there's some way
                                              > I can cause the frequency analysis to be displayed along with the
                                              > keyboard for entering Cyrillic (non-Roman) characters.
                                              > [...]

                                              Now knowing such capabilities exist, it didn't take much time to enable
                                              them; worked perfectly for both the keyboard and the frequency analysis:

                                              http://thadlabs.com/PIX/Google_Translate_20130311-074117.png 43kB

                                              Thad
                                            • J
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Mar 11 8:27 AM
                                                On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 10:22 AM, thad_floryan <thad@...> wrote:
                                                > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, J <dreadpiratejeff@...> wrote:
                                                >> On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 5:37 PM, jerry_mccarthy_uk
                                                >> <jerry_mccarthy_uk@...> wrote:
                                                >> > [...]
                                                >> > Well, this is bizarre; at the bottom right of my screen shot at
                                                >> > https://dl.dropbox.com/u/66367494/mir.jpg
                                                >> > do you not see a vertical list of words "world", "universe",
                                                >> > "peace", "kingdom", etc, etc with a bar chart showing frequency of
                                                >> > use to the left of each word?
                                                >> >
                                                >> [...]
                                                >> Yeah, it's in the screenshot...
                                                >>
                                                >> I would guess that this is probably just one those words that has no
                                                >> direct English translation.
                                                >
                                                > As I wrote earlier in this thread, NASA refines the definition of "mir"
                                                > because that one simple one-syllable word has a myriad of implications
                                                > in Russian culture. Here's the URL again:
                                                >
                                                > http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/history/shuttle-mir/references/r-documents-mirmeanings.htm

                                                Interestingly, that paper starts off in the synopsis by providing
                                                three different definitions and finished by providing a forth
                                                definition "Community" in what distills down to really a personal
                                                opinion on the meaning of the word:

                                                "The name means "community" to me."

                                                > Are folks not scrolling down past the first page to read the entirety
                                                > of postings and replies?
                                                >
                                                > Everyone in this group has been very good about trimming crap posting replies and if one is not scrolling down past the first screen's worth
                                                > there is often a lot of new content that will be overlooked.

                                                I did and may have messed up the quoting... mea culpa, but in my own
                                                defense, I've been on the go almost non-stop for a full month with no
                                                real break at all and I'm mentally exhausted.

                                                In any case, that was an interesting bit of history on the early days
                                                of the orbital platform. I especially got a kick out of how he blames
                                                the name Mir for the fact that we stuck with the shuttle so long
                                                instead of heating the space race back up and colonizing the Moon or
                                                something even grander. It's an interesting observation, when you
                                                think that the putting of men on the moon was really because Russia
                                                put a 183 pound beeping radio transmitter over our collective heads.

                                                " I almost wish the former Soviet Union had named the Mir something
                                                more combative back in '86. Knowing our politicians and public, that
                                                red flag waving would probably have resulted in a big station, a lunar
                                                outpost, and a mission enroute to Mars by now."

                                                I can't say I really disagree with him, either.

                                                Anything to keep the communist from infiltrating our water supply and
                                                diluting our precious bodily fluids!
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Mar 11 8:42 AM
                                                  --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, J <dreadpiratejeff@...> wrote:
                                                  > On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 10:22 AM, thad_floryan <thad@...> wrote:
                                                  > > [...]
                                                  > > Are folks not scrolling down past the first page to read the
                                                  > > entirety of postings and replies?
                                                  > >
                                                  > > Everyone in this group has been very good about trimming crap
                                                  > > when posting replies and if one is not scrolling down past the
                                                  > > first screen's worth there is often a lot of new content that will
                                                  > > be overlooked.
                                                  >
                                                  > I did and may have messed up the quoting... mea culpa, but in my own
                                                  > defense, I've been on the go almost non-stop for a full month with no
                                                  > real break at all and I'm mentally exhausted.
                                                  > [..]

                                                  No problemo! :-)

                                                  I've been doing a LOT of things around the house and except during a
                                                  few breaks I've gotten behind on group messages not only here but in
                                                  other groups. There are still 61 linux group messages I need to catch
                                                  up on because I never had time to answer when I first saw them.