RE: Kernel 2.2.13 is available

  • root
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 21, 1999
      Normally you don't want another kernel if you are happy with the present one.
      Reasons can vary, most often mentioned are more hardware supported and some
      security patches or bug fixes.
      There are also some painful things about Linux kernel now, eg threads and
      TCP/IP performance which need to be fixed. However, not every home user really
      wants these changes. Again, AFAIK, 2.2.x doesn't cope with this. Maybe 2.4.x?
      Whatever they say, 2.0.35 worked great here and I updated to .38 only to see
      how kernel is normally patched and to compile some modules into it and to get
      rid of others that were there by default (heavy heritage of COL 1.3)

      Edward V. POPKOV
      Independent Developer

    • Steve