[Slightly OT] Streaming video services?

  • Scott Ehrlich
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 29, 2012
      We don't subscribe to any premium channels, but we have seen The
      Newsroom (HBO) and Homeland (Showtime) and we like those shows.

      There are various shows and movies that no station I have in FIOS carry.

      I have a Mac at home, and we have other i-Devices.

      No interest in dumping FIOS, and we plan to keep the existing FIOS DVR service.

      We have discovered, through various FIOS promotions, that the premium
      services, such as HBO, Showtime, etc, simply don't offer us enough to
      actually subscribe to them.

      So, we have streaming services - Amazon, Hulu, Blockbuster, Netflix,
      Redbox is evolving, among others. Their average price is $8/month,
      which is fine with us.

      I have been reading various reviews, and, obviously, nobody is
      perfect. Many reviews report that although Netflix has lost a great
      subscriber base, they still have an incredibly large library.

      Hulu might be a major partnership today, but they apparently have a
      limited selection, and they have ads (ads are no big deal, just
      mentioning it).

      No plans to buy movies/shows, just have expanded flexibility to watch
      more things, when we want.

      Who likes which service, and why?

      Which company should I run away from, and why?

      Several reviews are approaching a year old, so present-day insights
      are most welcome.

      I have a Linux laptop I might very well press into service, if the
      subscription service we go with supports it. If they don't, I have no
      problems requesting support for Linux.

      Thanks for any/all insights.

      Scott
    • Allen D. Tate
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 29, 2012
        On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 9:05 AM, Scott Ehrlich <srehrlich@...> wrote:

        > Who likes which service, and why?
        >
        > Which company should I run away from, and why?
        >
        > Several reviews are approaching a year old, so present-day insights
        > are most welcome.
        >
        > I have a Linux laptop I might very well press into service, if the
        > subscription service we go with supports it. If they don't, I have no
        > problems requesting support for Linux.
        >
        > Thanks for any/all insights.
        >
        > Scott

        I've not used any of those services with any of my Linux boxes so I have no
        experience there. The only one I've subscribed to is Netflix. We watch it
        through our Wii. From what I understand, you get better picture quality
        with the Xbox 360 but I've not given that one a try and my son just got rid
        of his so now it isn't an option.

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 29, 2012
          On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 09:13:24AM -0600, Allen D. Tate wrote:
          > On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 9:05 AM, Scott Ehrlich <srehrlich@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Who likes which service, and why?
          > >
          > > Which company should I run away from, and why?
          > >
          > > Several reviews are approaching a year old, so present-day insights
          > > are most welcome.
          > >
          > > I have a Linux laptop I might very well press into service, if the
          > > subscription service we go with supports it. If they don't, I have no
          > > problems requesting support for Linux.
          > >
          > > Thanks for any/all insights.
          > >
          > > Scott
          >
          > I've not used any of those services with any of my Linux boxes so I have no
          > experience there. The only one I've subscribed to is Netflix. We watch it
          > through our Wii. From what I understand, you get better picture quality
          > with the Xbox 360 but I've not given that one a try and my son just got rid
          > of his so now it isn't an option.

          I believe you need either Windows, or some special uses of wine (available
          at present in Ubuntu--good reports from my co-worker) to watch Netflix in
          Linux. (Works in Windows, of course, and probably Mac. Requires
          silverlight because the studios want to make sure they keep their DRM
          garbage.

          Buffy: I can't believe you got into Oxford!
          Willow: It's pretty exciting.
          Oz: That's some deep academia there.
          Buffy: That's where they make Gileses!
          Willow: I know! I can learn, and have scones!
        • J
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 29, 2012
            On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 10:13 AM, Allen D. Tate
            <allentaterocks@...> wrote:

            > I've not used any of those services with any of my Linux boxes so I have no
            > experience there. The only one I've subscribed to is Netflix. We watch it
            > through our Wii. From what I understand, you get better picture quality
            > with the Xbox 360 but I've not given that one a try and my son just got rid
            > of his so now it isn't an option.

            Same heres, and I can confirm that you do get better video from the
            XBox 360 than you do the Wii (I believe it's just due to the quality
            of the graphics chip in the Wii compared to the 360) But I watch more
            using my Blu-Ray player than I do the 360 anyway.

            We do Netflix streaming and while their library is growing (this time
            last year their streaming library was unbearably limited), it's still
            not THAT big. You'll still find a lot of movies and shows that are
            only available via DVD. And the streaming ones will be behind current
            releases. So if you're looking for particular shows, you may be a
            season behind.

            Hulu carries more current stuff, but again, it's not there as quickly
            as you may prefer, and they don't carry THAT much. I don't use Hulu
            that much, so YMMV there are others with more informed opinions than
            mine.

            That being said, pretty much all of them offer 1 month free trials so
            you can try them out and cancel the service if it's not what you want.

            I have watched Hulu shows natively in Linux before, Netflix would
            require some hackery due to the use of Microsoft DRM.

            Ultimately, I prefer to watch such things on a real screen, not a
            laptop, so I stream everything through my Blu-ray player (which
            supports Netflix, Hulu, Blockbuster and several other streaming
            services I've not even tried yet). You could get similar service via
            AppleTV(I think), Roku or similar tv streaming boxes as well.

            Also, HBO has their own service, HBOGo (http://www.hbogo.com/#home/)
            as does Showtime, Showtime Anywhere
            (http://www.sho.com/sho/ways-to-watch/home) but both require
            subscriptions as well.

            FWIW, Netflix has neither of the two shows you mentioned.
          • Joan Leach
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 29, 2012
              http://www.sidereel.com/the_newsroom

              The above has season 1 episodes, I could watch via Zorin 6.1 LXDE Linux.

              http://www.sidereel.com/_television/search?q=Homeland+%28Showtime%29&commit=submit

              The same site had the 22 episodes, too.

              Google helps...another site I recall is:  http://www.tv-links.eu/

              Joan in Reno

            • Dale Miller
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 30, 2012
                On 11/29/2012 09:05 AM, Scott Ehrlich wrote:
                > We don't subscribe to any premium channels, but we have seen The
                > Newsroom (HBO) and Homeland (Showtime) and we like those shows.
                I was understanding that Netflix didn't come to an agreement with
                Showtime and lost there programming.

                > So, we have streaming services - Amazon, Hulu, Blockbuster, Netflix,
                > Redbox is evolving, among others. Their average price is $8/month,
                > which is fine with us.
                >
                > I have been reading various reviews, and, obviously, nobody is
                > perfect. Many reviews report that although Netflix has lost a great
                > subscriber base, they still have an incredibly large library.
                We have Netflix and like it but for show that we watch they are a season
                behind.
                There library is getting better though.

                > Hulu might be a major partnership today, but they apparently have a
                > limited selection, and they have ads (ads are no big deal, just
                > mentioning it).
                The last I looked at HuluPlus it seemed it had more shows and less movies.
                I don't think there shows are behind a season though, but I could be wrong.
                Supposedly the HuluPlus is ad free.

                > No plans to buy movies/shows, just have expanded flexibility to watch
                > more things, when we want.
                >
                > Who likes which service, and why?
                >
                > Which company should I run away from, and why?
                >
                > Several reviews are approaching a year old, so present-day insights
                > are most welcome.
                >
                > I have a Linux laptop I might very well press into service, if the
                > subscription service we go with supports it. If they don't, I have no
                > problems requesting support for Linux.
                >
                > Thanks for any/all insights.
                >
                > Scott

                I never looked into the others you mentioned.
                The few shows that we like that we can't receive over the antenna (no
                cable or satellite in our house.) I use eztv.it to download the shows
                and watch them on my MythTV box on the tv.

                --
                All the Best & 73's
                Dale Miller, KC2CBD

                Registered Linux User: #317401