Re: Setting up a superuser.

  • digs
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 31, 1996
      On [01/01/97] linux@onelist.com spoke unto us saying:
      > Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 16:54:57 -0400
      > From: John O'Donnell <johnod@...>
      > Subject: Re: Setting up a superuser.
      >
      > "Brian L. Johnson" wrote:
      > >
      > > From: "Brian L. Johnson" <blj8@...>
      > >
      > > On 16 Oct, Eric Gary Barron wrote:
      > >
      > > > I've always used root login to do all my system stuff, but now I want to
      > > > set up another user as a superuser but I can't figure out how to do it.
      > > > I know this ought to be pretty easy, but I'd appreciate any help.
      > >
      > > You can't, really. "root" is the only recognized superuser on a
      > > Unix-type system, including Linux.
      > >
      > > However, I know that in Redhat, you can bring up "userconf" (as root),
      > > and under the settings for a user, you can grant some admin privledges
      > > to an ordinary user.
      > >
      > > Brian Johnson blj8@...
      > > http://www.blj8.com/my-urls
      > > 2,919 links and counting! <--1,029 new links!
      >
      > You can assign more than one user in the /etc/passwd file the special
      > ID of "0" (zero). You can give them their own home directories and
      > shells, but everything will be done as root. Configurators may not
      > let you do this but you can edit /etc/passwd by hand. I'm not sure
      > why you would want to do this. I've only done this once on a SCO
      > 3.2v4.2 box in '93 and I don't remember why...
      > Johnny O

      Eric there most certainly is a way to allow users root access legally,
      man sudo, man visudo, man sudoers
      I've included my rc file (/etc/sudoers) as an example:

      # /etc/sudoers
      # This file MUST be edited with the 'visudo' command as root.
      # man sudoers tells all
      # -BIG FAT NOTE- sudo has zero tolerance case & syntax errors
      # alias' must be one word in ALLCAPS

      # good examples: -----------------------------------------------------
      # User_Alias JRADMIN=adam,eve
      # Cmnd_Alias DIALUP=/bin/command,/usr/bin/command
      # JRADMIN ALL=NOPASSWD:DIALUP,BOOT

      # bad examples: ------------------------------------------------------
      # user_alias JR-ADMIN=adam eve
      # Cmnd alias DIALUP=/bin/command /usr/bin/command
      # jradmin ALLNOPaSSWD: DIALUP BOOT

      # Host alias specification: ------------------------------------------

      # User alias specification: ------------------------------------------
      User_Alias SRADMIN=mjs,frank,wendy
      User_Alias JRADMIN=josh,arron
      User_Alias TECHS=josh,archie

      # Cmnd alias specification: ------------------------------------------
      Cmnd_Alias DIALUP=/usr/sbin/ppp-go,/usr/sbin/ppp-off
      Cmnd_Alias BOOT=/sbin/reboot
      Cmnd_Alias SCHEDULE=/usr/bin/crontab -e
      Cmnd_Alias MISC=/sbin/init q,/bin/ps x,/root/hookup.sh net, \
      /usr/bin/minicom,/root/hookup.sh local
      Cmnd_Alias VISU=/usr/sbin/visudo
      Cmnd_Alias MVFAT=/bin/mount /win95
      # User privilege specification: --------------------------------------
      # the mighty root can do all
      root ALL=(ALL) ALL

      # Sr.admins require no passwords for the following:
      SRADMIN ALL=NOPASSWD:DIALUP,NOPASSWD:BOOT,NOPASSWD:SCHEDULE, \
      NOPASSWD:MISC,NOPASSWD:VISU,NOPASSWD:MVFAT

      # Jr.admins -except- for BOOT need no other passwords
      JRADMIN ALL=BOOT,NOPASSWD:DIALUP,NOPASSWD:SCHEDULE,NOPASSWD:MISC

      # Techs can run these commands as root but need a password:
      TECHS ALL=DIALUP,MISC

      digs

      --
      digs <mjs@...> http://console-newsletter.hypermart.net
      __ __ _ _ __ __ )) __ console: tips,tricks & news about Linux
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 21, 1999
        on 12/31/96 5:43 PM, digs at mjs@... wrote:

        > Eric there most certainly is a way to allow users root access legally,
        > man sudo, man visudo, man sudoers
        > I've included my rc file (/etc/sudoers) as an example:

        I just tried to do man sudo, man visudo, and man sudoers, and I got no entry
        all three. Is there a package that I do not have installed? I am running
        Redhat 6.1.

        Thanks,
        Jeff
        --