EFF not happy with Ubuntu 12.10

  • Joan Leach
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 31, 2012
      I saw it mentioned in one of my emails and searched Google for this string: eff ubuntu 12.10...So I was wondering if any Distros built from Ubuntu 12.10 sources could have this built-in problem? Only those that have DASH?

      Thanks for putting the finger in the dike, in time I hope...

      Joan in Reno

      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 31, 2012
        --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Joan Leach <jleach728@...> wrote:

        > I saw it mentioned in one of my emails and searched Google for this
        > string: eff ubuntu 12.10...So I was wondering if any Distros built
        > from Ubuntu 12.10 sources could have this built-in problem? Only those
        > that have DASH?
        >
        > Thanks for putting the finger in the dike, in time I hope...
        >
        > Joan in Reno

        Hi Joan!

        A URL or three might've helped. :-)

        The following are all datelined within the past 48 hours:

        <http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2221490/eff-urges-canonical-to-make-ubuntu-1210-amazon-ads-optional>

        <http://www.linuxtoday.com/it_management/the-eff-on-ubuntu-12.10.html>

        <https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/10/privacy-ubuntu-1210-amazon-ads-and-data-leaks>

        <http://www.muktware.com/4715/eff-raises-privacy-concern-over-ubuntu-1210-online-search>

        <http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/10/eff-ubuntu-shopping-lens-a-major-privacy-problem>

        and 128 thousand more URLs.

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 31, 2012
          > <https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/10/privacy-ubuntu-1210-amazon-ads-and-data-leaks>
          > [...]

          There's an amazing screen shot at that EFF URL illustrating what happens
          when you enter "porn" to the Dash search.

          Even more amazing is that Google, when presented with just `porn' to be
          searched for, returns what appears to be the identical results.

          Looks like we can add the "porn" feather to Google's cap along with the
          black eye patch and plastic shoulder parrot for Google's success finding
          material that can be downloaded illegally. Doesn't the US Department of
          Justice or any state's Attorney General notice this? It takes but a
          second to find new books that cost $50+ as free downloadable PDFs with
          a Google search; I verified this and deleted the downloads afterwards
          and I cannot believe I'm the only person who has thought of doing this.