Re: OpenIndiana -- possible total replacement for RHEL and CentOS

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 30, 2012
      --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, "Allen D. Tate" <allentaterocks@...> wrote:

      > > With about 1,000,000 thanks to Ed who posted this URL 2 hours ago:
      > >
      > > <<http://openindiana.org/>>
      >
      > Keep us posted, Thad.

      Hi Allen,

      Definitely! I need to buy a ~ 500MB HD first for the install since I
      don't care to use a brand new 1TB WD Caviar Black (before the floods
      last year in Singapore) I have in stock for this purpose.

      I feel right at home with Solaris since I've used SunOS since day 1.
      But note a ton of GNU stuff is available, too: bash, emacs, gcc, etc.

      It's a POSIX system but Solaris has a bunch of commands that might seem
      alien to someone more familiar with Linux. Look again at this screenshot
      at the left terminal window and note the commands I used to get some
      system info, and note the right terminal window has commands that will
      be familiar to all; the 3rd terminal window is hidden behind the left
      terminal window and contains only "sleep 10; xwd -root > /tmp/foo.xwd"
      for the screenshot:

      <http://thadlabs.com/PIX/OpenIndiana_Live_DVD_desktop.jpg>

      Every command I tried (from Solaris 1.1.1 to Solaris 10) on the
      OpenIndiana box works which is an excellent sign. I was totally
      flabbergasted that both the audio and networking works perfectly;
      I need to read up on video and I may put my MSI low profile nVIDIA
      card in the box.

      There are the proverbial TON of Solaris documenta in full PDF form
      which document EVERYTHING in fantastic detail, and it's all FREE.
      Linux documentation pales in comparison. That's one of the things
      that truly characterizes Solaris as enterprise class.

      I need to "play" with OpenIndiana for awhile and I'll report back
      what I find. Administering a Solaris system is not that difficult.
      All the functionality is there but some commands have "unusual" names
      which is why the apropos command (on Linux too) is your friend. :-)