Hasta la vista CentOS/RHEL -- avoid it like the plague

  • Thad Floryan
    Message 1 of 33 , Aug 26, 2012
      Well, when I logged on to my CentOS box for the last time to
      copy all my personal stuff to a different system before wiping
      that garbage OS [CentOS] off one of my hard disks, I discovered
      the RHEL/CentOS douchebag hipsters (likely similar to these two

      <http://dbagging.com/level-500-hipster/>
      and
      <http://dbagging.com/it-puts-the-lotion-on-the-skin/>

      ) have proven again they freely lie and cannot be trusted.

      They claim support for CentOS 6 until 2018 yet they cannot even
      support it for the eight months since 20-DEC-2011 when 6.2 was
      released as I've been discovering since 10-JULY-2012. On that
      date they removed OpenOffice (which I use 50+ times a day) from
      my system and replaced it with Novell's LibreOffice which I won't
      touch with a 50' pole for the reasons I wrote last week.

      Also last week there was another update and those CentOS/RHEL
      douchebags disabled both the GoogleEarth and OpenOffice as I just
      discovered a few minutes ago -- those douchebags are still removing
      libraries as you can see (and note both the OpenOffice and the
      GoogleEarth worked fine a day before that update):

      procyon bash 3774/3776> pwd
      /opt/openoffice.org3/program
      procyon bash 3774/3776> ./soffice.bin
      ./soffice.bin: error while loading shared libraries:
      libuno_sal.so.3: cannot open shared object file:
      No such file or directory
      and
      procyon bash 3774/3776> pwd
      /opt/google/earth/free
      procyon bash 3774/3776> head -5 googleearth
      #!/bin/sh
      # Always run Google Earth from this shell script and not
      # Google Earth directly! This script makes sure the app looks
      # in the right place for libraries that might also be installed
      # elsewhere on your system.

      procyon bash 3774/3776> ./googleearth
      Google Earth has caught signal 11.
      We apologize for the inconvenience, but Google Earth has crashed.
      This is a bug in the program, and should never happen under normal
      circumstances. A bug report and debugging data have been written
      to this text file:
      /home/thad/.googleearth/crashlogs/crashlog-503adf24.txt
      Please include this file if you submit a bug report to Google.

      I again submit that RHEL/CentOS are toy operating systems built
      by douchebag clowns who haven't any idea what they're doing and
      don't ever even seem to performa any QA or regression testing. In
      other words, they're not software "engineers" because they haven't
      a clue how to develop and run a project successfully.

      I'm still PO'd by how insecure the login sequence is for CentOS/RHEL
      and the fact they won't fix it for several years as I revealed here
      earlier this year when first encountering that serious bug where the
      login window is like Microsoft's Windows Vista and Win7 where all
      the user names are revealed on the login window. My RedHat9 system
      from 2003 had a correct login window (like Solaris) in which user
      names are not openly revealed and must be explicitly entered.

      So: a warning to everyone: AVOID RHEL/CentOS. It's a junk and toy OS.

      Thad
    • Mike Adams
      Message 33 of 33 , Aug 31, 2012
        > Yahoo demonstrates incompetence almost daily and there are times when
        > the web interface is totally hosed and dysfunctional; it seems new items
        > emailed do still appear in groups under those circumstances. Weird.

        I sometimes have to close the browser and reopen it when I'm in Yahoo.
        It appears to lock up and ignore my input, though it's really paying
        attention and accepting it without showing it. It's very frustrating.

        I've got a Gmail account, but I don't like Google and only use it for my
        Android tablet. I've been using my Yahoo email account for over 15
        years, so staying with it is more a matter of habit and not wanting to
        email all my contacts with a new address.

        However, this is "off-topic" and I'll stop here <grin>.

        Mike