Flight simulators for Linux

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 4 8:32 PM
      I always enjoy a good game for "relaxation". Back in the day, I once
      took 2 weeks off from work (during the Winter holiday season) to play
      the entirety of Zork on one of my company's mainframes (a DEC-2060). I
      now can play the same thing on Linux using the zmachine and the game
      files I copied from my Amiga's InfoCOM game floppies (3.5"). Some of
      you may remember the download/compile/build I posted previously for the
      penguin-command game which is a perfect and far better clone of the
      arcade game "Missile Command". And I have a bunch of action and science
      games on several Windows boxes downloaded/provided by Steam.

      I just now discovered a quantity of Linux flight simulators.

      X-Plane seems to be the epitome and even includes scenery for the entire
      Earth along with weather. Scenarios are for Earth and Mars. Terrain is
      modeled with data from the Shuttle Radar Topography Mission and the game
      comes on eight (8) DVDs [which I calculate to be 36 GB]. US$40.

      Flightgear is free and apparently is similar to X-Plane.

      There's even IFT, Instrument Flight Trainer.

      Read and discover more here:

      <http://linux.about.com/od/softgame/a/swflightsims.htm>
    • J
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 4 10:12 PM
        On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 23:32, thad_floryan <thad@...> wrote:
        > I always enjoy a good game for "relaxation".  Back in the day, I once
        > took 2 weeks off from work (during the Winter holiday season) to play
        > the entirety of Zork on one of my company's mainframes (a DEC-2060). I
        > now can play the same thing on Linux using the zmachine and the game
        > files I copied from my Amiga's InfoCOM game floppies (3.5").  Some of
        > you may remember the download/compile/build I posted previously for the
        > penguin-command game which is a perfect and far better clone of the
        > arcade game "Missile Command".  And I have a bunch of action and science
        > games on several Windows boxes downloaded/provided by Steam.
        >
        > I just now discovered a quantity of Linux flight simulators.
        >
        > X-Plane seems to be the epitome and even includes scenery for the entire
        > Earth along with weather.  Scenarios are for Earth and Mars.  Terrain is
        > modeled with data from the Shuttle Radar Topography Mission and the game
        > comes on eight (8) DVDs [which I calculate to be 36 GB].  US$40.
        >
        > Flightgear is free and apparently is similar to X-Plane.
        >
        > There's even IFT, Instrument Flight Trainer.
        >
        > Read and discover more here:
        >
        >    <http://linux.about.com/od/softgame/a/swflightsims.htm>

        Never heard of Flightgear before, but I will have to look into X-Plane
        again. I played around with that years ago when it was just line
        drawn polygons and it was horrible. I play Microsoft Flight Simulator
        and honestly for the money haven't found anything to top it.

        I'll have to look into the newer version of X-Plane and see if it's
        caught up in usability. IIRC, that was another of my complaints about
        X-Plane back then. It was more like a scientific modeling program than
        a flight sim for fun... the options were vast and difficult to
        understand and documentation was pretty bad. setting hte sim up took
        so long it wasn't really any fun.

        So if it's improved, I may have one less reason for keeping that
        Windows partition on my primary workstation :)
      • dabigboy@cox.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 4 10:41 PM
          ---- thad_floryan <thad@...> wrote:

          > I just now discovered a quantity of Linux flight simulators.
          >
          > X-Plane seems to be the epitome and even includes scenery for the entire
          > Earth along with weather. Scenarios are for Earth and Mars. Terrain is
          > modeled with data from the Shuttle Radar Topography Mission and the game
          > comes on eight (8) DVDs [which I calculate to be 36 GB]. US$40.

          X-Plane has come a long way in the 12 years I've been using it. It's being used all around the world by all sorts of people and organizations. Flight schools use it, there is a flight simulator manufacturing company (as in, sit inside the sim and close the door, moving around on a full-motion platform) in the eastern US that uses it for all their sims, engineers from places like NASA and Boeing have been known to use it as a "scratchpad" for new designs, the program has in fact been used in FAA-approved training applications for years now. Also the API has matured greatly, and makes all sorts of things possible. Some companies are using this to make X-Plane the graphics engine behind some other sim, or vice-versa (use X-Plane's flight model in conjunction with a custom scene generator, for instance). I personally am using it to run my recreational flight simulator, which currently runs 2 or 3 PCs networked, but will soon be running half a dozen or more for various things.

          Of course, my sim is 100% Linux-based. :)

          FlightGear is even more flexible because it's open-source, but personally I don't like it much. I've tried valiantly to like it over the years, but FG just doesn't have the features, fidelity, graphics, or polish of X-Plane yet. Not to say it isn't an amazing piece of work from the open-source community, however.

          Matt