IT workers in USA workforce may soon be shafted

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 2, 2011
      Short story: a bill is currently making its way through the United
      States Senate that effectively eliminates overtime pay for IT
      professionals.

      <http://www.standalone-sysadmin.com/blog/2011/11/usa-computer-professionals-update-act/>

      and

      <http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s112-1747>

      Full text of the bill:

      <http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=s112-1747>

      <http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/bills.text/112/s/s1747is.pdf>

      <http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c112:s1747:>

      What I don't understand is how can the Feds dictate what an employer
      provides (or not) to its professional staff [who should be smart enough
      to quit and find a new job if they're unhappy where they are].

      Weird news for today. :-)
    • J
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 2, 2011
        On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 01:11, thad_floryan <thad@...> wrote:
        > Short story: a bill is currently making its way through the United
        > States Senate that effectively eliminates overtime pay for IT
        > professionals.
        >
        > <http://www.standalone-sysadmin.com/blog/2011/11/usa-computer-professionals-update-act/>
        >
        > and
        >
        >    <http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s112-1747>
        >
        > Full text of the bill:
        >
        >    <http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=s112-1747>
        >
        >    <http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/bills.text/112/s/s1747is.pdf>
        >
        >    <http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c112:s1747:>
        >
        > What I don't understand is how can the Feds dictate what an employer
        > provides (or not) to its professional staff [who should be smart enough
        > to quit and find a new job if they're unhappy where they are].
        >
        > Weird news for today.  :-)

        Overtime? WTF? You mean people get paid overtime? ;-)

        And that's the job of the Federal Government. To stick it's fingers
        in holes that they don't belong in...
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 3, 2011
          --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, J <dreadpiratejeff@...> wrote:

          > On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 01:11, thad_floryan <thad@...> wrote:
          > > Short story: a bill is currently making its way through the United
          > > States Senate that effectively eliminates overtime pay for IT
          > > professionals.
          > >
          > > <http://www.standalone-sysadmin.com/blog/2011/11/usa-computer-professionals-update-act/>
          > >[...]
          >
          > Overtime? WTF? You mean people get paid overtime? ;-)

          It's possible as a contractor. I've had several where there was a
          limit to the hours per day but, with approval, more could be worked
          and paid-for. The last one with which I had such an arrangement was
          Levanta (formerly Linuxcare). Given I reported to their CFO, it was
          never a problem. :-)

          > > What I don't understand is how can the Feds dictate what an
          > > employer provides (or not) to its professional staff [who should
          > > be smart enough to quit and find a new job if they're unhappy
          > > where they are.
          >
          > And that's the job of the Federal Government. To stick it's fingers
          > in holes that they don't belong in...

          Ain't that the truth! And I should reword my last sentence above to
          be " ... to find a new job [first] and then quit ..." especially in
          today's environment. It's not like the old days (at least here in
          California) where employment is legally known as "At will" for both
          employees and employers. What that means, in short, is that one need
          not give more than 1 femtosecond notice of leaving (or being laid-of or fired). I once literally walked-away from one job because I could
          not stand their {very bad} ethics and lies one nanosecond longer; they
          still had to pay up to that moment even though there was no written
          notice (which is also never required in California).
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 3, 2011
            On Sat, Dec 03, 2011 at 02:43:23AM -0500, J wrote:

            > Overtime? WTF? You mean people get paid overtime? ;-)
            >
            > And that's the job of the Federal Government. To stick it's fingers
            > in holes that they don't belong in...

            It's at a certain level, I believe. Those in the 50K range. Often,
            those in the 70K and up are on fixed salary anyway.

            It's being made optional--one just assumes that someone like Cisco or
            Apple bought a few more politicians. This one is so specific, in that
            it's pointed at only one group, that obviously, yet another politician
            was properly bribed.

            Here's a wild thought. What if congress spent as much energy in
            investigating its own corruption as they do in the terribly important
            things like, Did Roger Clemens and Barry Bonds take drugs?

            Almost daily, my government embarrasses me.

            Giles: I suspect your mother would want to... put it on the
            refrigerator.
            Buffy: Yeah. She saw these scores and her head spun around and
            exploded.
            Giles: I've been on the Hellmouth too long, that was metaphorical,
            yes?
            Buffy: Yes.
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 3, 2011
              --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
              > [...]
              > Here's a wild thought. What if congress spent as much energy in
              > investigating its own corruption as they do in the terribly important
              > things like, Did Roger Clemens and Barry Bonds take drugs?
              >
              > Almost daily, my government embarrasses me.

              The problem is that "government" seems to have forgotten for whom THEY
              are working: us, the taxpayers.
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 3, 2011
                On Sun, Dec 04, 2011 at 12:13:38AM -0000, thad_floryan wrote:
                > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
                > > [...]
                >
                > The problem is that "government" seems to have forgotten for whom THEY
                > are working: us, the taxpayers.

                I suspect they feel they are working for the bribers, rather than the
                taxpayers. Actually, seems like if there's something to screw the
                populace, all the lawmakers have no trouble getting together.

                Spike: I did a couple of slayers in my time. I don't like to
                brag. Who am I kidding? I love to brag. One time, during the
                Boxer Rebellion...
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 3, 2011
                  --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:

                  > On Sun, Dec 04, 2011 at 12:13:38AM -0000, thad_floryan wrote:
                  > > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@> wrote:
                  > > > [...]
                  > >
                  > > The problem is that "government" seems to have forgotten for whom
                  > > THEY are working: us, the taxpayers.
                  >
                  > I suspect they feel they are working for the bribers, rather than
                  > the taxpayers. Actually, seems like if there's something to screw
                  > the populace, all the lawmakers have no trouble getting together.

                  Mea culpa. The USA government (and the States', too) is/are so corrupt
                  it is difficult to believe. But it's true.

                  The "Occupy <whatever>" is the beginning of what I see as the second
                  American revolution. It's going to get very ugly until it's fixed.

                  This is w-a-y off-topic and I won't write any more about it here; I will
                  soon have a web page about the "situation" and I'm hoping I don't hear
                  any black helicopters circling my home.