A very long PDF

  • J
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 2, 2011
      I've seen Unix and Linux timelines before, but never one this in depth...

      http://www.levenez.com/unix/unix.pdf

      This will show you the pedigree of just about every *nix related thing
      (kernel specific) going back to UNICS in '69.
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 2, 2011
        --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, J <dreadpiratejeff@...> wrote:

        > I've seen Unix and Linux timelines before, but never one this in depth...
        >
        > http://www.levenez.com/unix/unix.pdf
        >
        > This will show you the pedigree of just about every *nix related thing
        > (kernel specific) going back to UNICS in '69.

        Very interesting but it has errors; just a few off the top of my head:

        CTIX <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convergent_Technologies> is 1982,
        not the 1987 shown on the chart. I was running CTIX in 1984 and still
        have several here at home.

        OSF/1 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tru64_UNIX> was 1992 not 1990 as
        shown on the chart. I had one of the very first DEC Alpha systems with
        it and I know where it and I were in 1992.

        Apple A/UX <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A/UX> was 1988 and not 1985-86
        as shown on the chart. I had one and it's one reason I dislike Apple.

        I don't have time to check others -- that chart is large. :-)

        See: <http://thadlabs.com/PIX/Live_Free_Or_Die_AT+T.jpg>
        and <http://thadlabs.com/PIX/Live_Free_Or_Die_Novell.jpg> and DEC

        The above plates (several of each) are on my office wall. :-)