Re: [linux] Re: Death knell for bash? 64-bit version buggy

  • Michael Kjorling
    Message 1 of 48 , Dec 1, 2011
      On Nov 30 2011 21:30 -0500, from scottro@... (Scott):
      > I guess (I'm not a programmer, so this is nothing but a guess), that
      > coders today barely take resources into account, whereas in the old
      > days, they did.

      Working in the field (programming "in the cloud"), though not exactly
      claiming my experiences to necessarily be representative of any
      greater sample, I do see that in many cases, resource usage just
      doesn't register much if at all on the radar screens of most of the
      people I work with. Usually, they only start paying attention when
      something starts running hideously slow up to actually timing out
      (which, for a standard SQL query, means it goes beyond 30 wallclock
      seconds execution time).

      There _are_ programmers who do care about resource usage (time, I/O,
      CPU), and I try to count myself among them to a reasonable degree (if
      I can do something in O(n) instead of O(n²) with little additional
      effort, I will, but if it's a small data set and the O(n) solution
      runs nicely and is maintainable, I might not spend a week chasing an
      obscure O(log n) algorithm to do the same thing), but for the most
      part, it seems like unless it really needs paying attention to, many
      don't care. Hence, software behaves as a gaseous substance; it expands
      to fill whatever container is used to hold it.

      --
      Michael Kjörling .. michael@... .. http://michael.kjorling.se
      * ..... No bird soars too high if he soars with his own wings ..... *
      Message 48 of 48 , Dec 2, 2011
        --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:

        > Well, when I think about it, though there might be abandonment of Ubuntu
        > by the usenet folks, I'd be willing to wager that the usenet folks are
        > a small majority of Ubuntu users--it's not really aimed at them, though
        > I can think of a few Unix masters I know who switched to Ubuntu at one
        > point or another, simply because it usually just worked.
        >
        > By "them", I mean that generally, usenet users, at least in the US, are
        > the more experienced, and often the more or less hard core.

        OK. But case in point: in the past 24 hours there have only been 30
        new postings to Usenet's alt.os.linix.ubuntu. Normally there would
        be that many in just an hour or less and typically > 300 per day. I
        don't see any decreases in any other linux and, in fact, many have an
        upsurge in new postings. This is just an informal observation, but ..

        > [...]
        > I think that reports of Ubuntu's demise are greatly
        > over-exaggerated.

        But we'll never really know because there are no credible stats.

        We have choices and I'll just continue using what I have that works
        and still keep an eye open for any good new stuff.