Re: What constitutes a useable desktop?

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 33 , Nov 1, 2011
      --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Ritesh Khadgaray <khadgaray@...> wrote:

      > This is a known behaviour called as "user interia", such as seen in
      > http://www.basement.org/2006/07/battling_user_inertia.html .
      > One of the reason why people hate GNOME3, the re-learning part.

      I read the link and they're right. I am not interested in investing the effort learning anything over again for no tangible benefits. Frankly I have better things to do with my time. Even if I didn't it still doesn't sound like a whole lot of fun to me. As in I'll find something better to do!
    • Paul
      Message 33 of 33 , Dec 17, 2011

        > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <pfrederick1@> wrote:
        > > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, "thad_floryan" <thad@> wrote:
        > > > [...]
        > > > * 3 = PDP-11 endian
        > >
        > > I have a tool cabinet in my garage that would have returned a 3 at
        > > one time in its life.
        > >
        > > http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/5600/p3060008.jpg
        > >
        > > I cut a PDP 11/34 in half. The drawers are gutted out hard disk drive
        > > cabinets.
        >
        > Fantastic! :-)
        >
        > The Computer History Museum is about 3 miles from my home and they
        > still have some functioning PDP-11s:

        Mine is still functioning. It just is performing a different function today. The drawer slides they used are top notch!

        > <http://www.computerhistory.org/>
        >
        > One of my colleagues in the early 1980's bought his Heathkit LSI-11
        > to work one day; clock speed 2.5MHz (that's two point five !).
        >
        > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heathkit_H11>
        > <http://www.computermuseum.li/Testpage/Heathkit-DEC-H11.htm>
        >
        > Didn't run UNIX, though, it was HT-11 a variant of RT-11. A real
        > PDP-11 (capable of UNIX) was larger:
        >
        > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDP-11>
        > and
        > <http://www.computerhistory.org/brochures/categories.php?category=thm-42b97f4a92711&s=20&category=thm-42b97f4a92711&sortBy=>

        The one I busted apart was a monster. That is why I cut it in half. Thing was the size of a closet. Technically I didn't strictly cut it in half though. Two uprights are the front and back members of a rack in my pickup truck, and I cut the remaining two in half and reassembled a frame out of those pieces.