Re: [linux] does history show remotely executed cmd history list

  • p sena
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 22, 2011
      --- On Sat, 10/22/11, roro <roro@...> wrote:

      >> so, it looks to me like it isn't, at least with a bash environment.

      >> mind you, if you're using a different shell, or even just a different

      >> setup, then i can't say, but hopefully that answers your question, at

      >>least in part.

      Well, not tthis seems to be true. But now the question extends that that
      secured info (passwd etc) will be surely be seen momentarily when you
      do a ps aux |grep <command/program_name>. This will vanish after
      few secs but when it is seen the passwd etc will be visible momentarily.
      So the main fact is that it is not safe that way. I mean only iff command was issued in machineB with the password as one of the option's value (usually --password 'someabcetc').
      What thoughts abt this ?

    • Yousuf Saeed
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 22, 2011
        All remote command will not show in history on remote computer because it executed by secure shell ssh.

        -> Intruder.

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 26, 2011
          sent from a mobile device
          On Oct 22, 2011 1:22 PM, "p sena" <senapati2001@...> wrote:

          > --- On Sat, 10/22/11, roro <roro@...> wrote:
          >
          > >> so, it looks to me like it isn't, at least with a bash environment.
          >
          > >> mind you, if you're using a different shell, or even just a different
          >
          > >> setup, then i can't say, but hopefully that answers your question, at
          >
          > >>least in
          part.

          > Well, not tthis seems to be true. But now the question extends that that
          > secured info (passwd etc) will be surely be seen momentarily when you
          > do a ps aux |grep <command/program_name>. This will vanish after
          > few secs but when it is seen the passwd etc will be visible momentarily.
          > So the main fact is that it is not safe that way. I mean only iff command
          was issued in machineB with the password as one of the option's value
          (usually --password 'someabcetc').
          > What thoughts abt this ?

          Your command history is only stored locally. Even there plain text
          passwords are not stored (OR at least should not be) unless you explicitly
          pass a password through as plain text. Data transferred over ssh is
          encrypted. This includes passwords even if they weren't already. If
          you're using ftp or telnet instead then you should not be accessing/sharing
          information with the host that you don't want to share with the rest of the
          world unless both guest and host are behind the same (your ) router. . .
          You could also confirm everything I'm saying with a bit of Google to be
          sure? I think you will be looking at the 'shopt' command to disable history
          if you prefer to go that route.