Re: Help file

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 17, 2011
      --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Godwin Stewart <grs.ygroups@...> wrote:

      > On 10/08/2011 10:22, Robert C Wittig wrote:
      > > On 8/10/2011 12:25 AM, thad_floryan wrote:
      > >
      > >> Any text editor should work; I prefer emacs.
      > >>
      > > I prefer vi.
      > >
      > > ...perfect way to start a war. :)
      >
      > Well, I prefer nano/pico, so you can keep vi and emacs.
      >
      > /me stands back and watches the flames climb :)
      >
      > --
      > Godwin Stewart -- <grs.ygroups@...>

      I have to throw gedit and Kwrite into the mix. If I'm using vi or even emacs then there is something wrong, very wrong going on. What about joe? Joe wasn't too bad. I've even had to resort to cat foo >> bar from time to time because vi and I don't always see eye to eye.

      2011 is more than halfway over now so get with the program already. Vi vs. emacs please! As far as nano goes Mindy was hot back in the day but Mork isn't funny anymore.
    • Paul
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 17, 2011
        --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, ed <ed@...> wrote:

        > Careful, vim books are going quick in London
        >
        > http://www.usenix.org.uk/pictures/looter_vim_book.png

        O'Really? Could almost say they're a hot commodity. Thanks for the link funniest thing I'll see all day!
      • Emil
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 17, 2011
          On 08/17/2011 11:30 AM, Paul wrote:

          --- In linux@yahoogroups.com <mailto:linux%40yahoogroups.com>, Godwin
          Stewart <grs.ygroups@...> wrote:

          > On 10/08/2011 10:22, Robert C Wittig wrote:
          > > On 8/10/2011 12:25 AM, thad_floryan wrote:
          > >
          > >> Any text editor should work; I prefer emacs.
          > >>
          > > I prefer vi.
          > >
          > > ...perfect way to start a war. :)
          >
          > Well, I prefer nano/pico, so you can keep vi and emacs.
          >
          > /me stands back and watches the flames climb :)
          >
          > --
          > Godwin Stewart -- <grs.ygroups@...>

          I have to throw gedit and Kwrite into the mix. If I'm using vi or even
          emacs then there is something wrong, very wrong going on. What about
          joe? Joe wasn't too bad. I've even had to resort to cat foo >> bar from
          time to time because vi and I don't always see eye to eye.

          2011 is more than halfway over now so get with the program already. Vi
          vs. emacs please! As far as nano goes Mindy was hot back in the day but
          Mork isn't funny anymore.

          Memo Pad on Palm T|X over Blue tooth!

          Can we move on now?

          =P
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 17, 2011
            --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <pfrederick1@...> wrote:
            > [...]
            > I have to throw gedit and Kwrite into the mix. If I'm using vi or
            > even emacs then there is something wrong, very wrong going on.

            Really? Back in the 1970s everyone at Hewlett-Packard Labs in Palo Alto
            was using emacs including the secretaries. The DoD (Pentagon) was using
            it then, too, and that's where I got my first copy of it before RMS gave
            me a tape of it at Stanford.

            With emacs' built-in tutorial it takes, on average, 30 minutes or so to
            learn how to use it for most editing tasks. Many of Emacs' control
            keys are also featured in bash.

            If you're curious, a scan of the oldest emacs manual I could find in my
            files is here <http://thadlabs.com/FILES/Emacs-150_1980.09.05.pdf> [9MB]

            Note on the first page emacs' development was funded by DARPA under
            Office of Naval Research contract N00014-75-C-0643; those are the same
            folks that brought us ARPANET which became today's Internet.
          • Paul
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 18, 2011

              > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <pfrederick1@> wrote:
              > > [...]
              > > I have to throw gedit and Kwrite into the mix. If I'm using vi or
              > > even emacs then there is something wrong, very wrong going on.
              >
              > Really? Back in the 1970s everyone at Hewlett-Packard Labs in Palo Alto
              > was using emacs including the secretaries. The DoD (Pentagon) was using
              > it then, too, and that's where I got my first copy of it before RMS gave
              > me a tape of it at Stanford.
              >
              > With emacs' built-in tutorial it takes, on average, 30 minutes or so to
              > learn how to use it for most editing tasks. Many of Emacs' control
              > keys are also featured in bash.
              >
              > If you're curious, a scan of the oldest emacs manual I could find in my
              > files is here <http://thadlabs.com/FILES/Emacs-150_1980.09.05.pdf> [9MB]
              >
              > Note on the first page emacs' development was funded by DARPA under
              > Office of Naval Research contract N00014-75-C-0643; those are the same
              > folks that brought us ARPANET which became today's Internet.

              Yes really I feel about as comfortable today using vi or EMACS as I would in a polyester disco suit. The greatest thing that came out of the 70s was Farrah Fawcett's hair and even it wasn't all that swift. I say we agree to forget any of it even happened and move on.
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 18, 2011
                --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <pfrederick1@...> wrote:
                > [...]
                > Yes really I feel about as comfortable today using vi or EMACS as I
                > would in a polyester disco suit. The greatest thing that came out of
                > the 70s was Farrah Fawcett's hair and even it wasn't all that swift.
                > I say we agree to forget any of it even happened and move on.

                This group is not a forum for "editor wars". As with most things, one
                should use the best productive tool and that's often a very personal
                preference.

                If you feel a need to rant, the Usenet forums would welcome you with
                open arms. A free Usenet NNTP feed (which I use) is available from:

                <http://www.eternal-september.org/>

                Usenet is described here <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet> and is
                still incredibly active even though the founding site shut down its
                Usenet server last year:

                <http://www.dukenews.duke.edu/2010/05/usenet.html>

                The meaning of "Eternal September" is found here:

                <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_September>

                Relevant Usenet groups include comp.editors and comp.emacs; there is
                no group for vi.
              • Paul
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 19, 2011

                  > If you feel a need to rant, the Usenet forums would welcome you with
                  > open arms. A free Usenet NNTP feed (which I use) is available from:

                  Practice what you preach.