mplayer problem

  • Michael Klinosky
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 7, 2011
      Hello.
      I've been trying to get mplayer to play an audio file recorded with my
      cellphone (in .qcp format). I use CentOS 5.3. I _was_ using probably the
      version of mplayer that came with the distro; it had a real issue with
      the .qcp file (as in 'crashed'), so I upgraded (using the gui's package
      manager). Well, it doesn't crash, but it still doesn't play.

      I didn't use the shell with the old (crashing version), so I don't know
      if anything changed regarding this format. (Btw, after updating, I
      rebooted.)

      Here is the output from the shell:
      [AV_dir] mplayer 0807110221a.qcp
      MPlayer SVN-r31628-4.1.2 (C) 2000-2010 MPlayer Team
      mplayer: could not connect to socket
      mplayer: No such file or directory
      Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote
      control.

      Playing 0807110221a.qcp.
      [demux_audio] truncated extradata (132 < 32441)
      Audio only file format detected.
      Opening audio decoder: [pcm] Uncompressed PCM audio decoder
      AUDIO: -1323999617 Hz, 27969 ch, s16le, -1915711.9 kbit/-460.61% (ratio:
      -1850076720->401660020)
      Selected audio codec: [pcm] afm: pcm (Uncompressed PCM)
      No such audio driver 'pulse'
      [AO_ALSA] 27969 channels are not supported.
      AO: [alsa] 96000Hz 10000ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
      [channels] The number of output channels must be between 1 and 8.
      Current value is 10000
      [libaf] Unable to setup filter system can not meet sound-card demands,
      please send bugreport.
      Couldn't find matching filter/ao format!
      Audio: no sound
      Video: no video

      Exiting... (End of file)

      *** END OF OUTPUT

      I noticed the lines about the channels - is there something that I can
      do to tweak that, or is it the codec, or ??

      I should mention that mplayer will play other formats (Pink Floyd's
      Echoes.mp3 is going now).
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 7, 2011
        On Sun, Aug 07, 2011 at 08:53:01PM -0400, Michael Klinosky wrote:
        > Hello.
        > I've been trying to get mplayer to play an audio file recorded with my
        > cellphone (in .qcp format). I use CentOS 5.3. I _was_ using probably the
        > version of mplayer that came with the distro; it had a real issue with
        > the .qcp file (as in 'crashed'), so I upgraded (using the gui's package
        > manager). Well, it doesn't crash, but it still doesn't play.

        CentOS 5.3 is rather old--it's probably an older version of mplayer that
        you're using--you're probably using the rpmforge one, as I don't think
        mplayer actually comes with the base distro.

        I'm not familiar with qcp files--you might also try vlc and see if you
        have better luck (though to be honest, the repoforge, nee rpmforge,
        version of mplayer has always been able to handle anything I've given
        it.)

        Buffy: Looks like a job for wiccan-girl. What do you say,
        Will? Big time danger.
        Willow: Hey, I eat danger for breakfast.
        Xander: But, oddly enough, she panics in the face of breakfast
        foods.
      • roro
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 8, 2011
          On Sun, Aug 7, 2011 at 19:31, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:

          > On Sun, Aug 07, 2011 at 08:53:01PM -0400, Michael Klinosky wrote:
          > > Hello.
          > > I've been trying to get mplayer to play an audio file recorded with my
          > > cellphone (in .qcp format). I use CentOS 5.3. I _was_ using probably the
          > > version of mplayer that came with the distro; it had a real issue with
          > > the .qcp file (as in 'crashed'), so I upgraded (using the gui's package
          > > manager). Well, it doesn't crash, but it still doesn't play.
          >
          > CentOS 5.3 is rather old--it's probably an older version of mplayer that
          > you're using--you're probably using the rpmforge one, as I don't think
          > mplayer actually comes with the base distro.
          >
          > I'm not familiar with qcp files--you might also try vlc and see if you
          > have better luck (though to be honest, the repoforge, nee rpmforge,
          > version of mplayer has always been able to handle anything I've given
          > it.)

          sometimes, maintainers of a distro will build a program with whatever
          mods or defaults they feel is appropriate. unfortunately, that means
          sometimes it doesn't work in a non-standard situation. i recommend
          going to the mplayer home page at http://www.mplayerhq.hu and
          downloading the source for the latest version, and compiling it. this
          way, it's built the way the authors wrote it, and in the process of
          configuring, it will detect and adapt to your system and hardware.

          also download and install the binary codec package appropriate for your system.

          @-}-- alanna
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 8, 2011
            --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Michael Klinosky <mpk2@...> wrote:
            > [...]
            > I've been trying to get mplayer to play an audio file recorded with
            > my cellphone (in .qcp format).
            > [...]

            I had to look up extension "qcp".

            That's a Qualcomm-unique file extension. Convert it to WAV per:

            <http://filext.com/file-extension/QCP>

            This <http://www.fileinfo.com/extension/qcp> mentions a Linux player

            <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QCP> not much info but mentions Qualcomm
            stuff is illegal and under a December 31, 2007 injunction to cease and
            desist.
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 8, 2011
              > I had to look up extension "qcp".
              >
              > That's a Qualcomm-unique file extension. Convert it to WAV per:
              > [...]

              Per <http://blog.gerrior.com/?p=313>, Qualcomm's player has been pulled
              for legal reasons, but VLC will play it:

              <http://www.videolan.org/>

              I use VLC for just about everything; it "just works". :-)
            • roro
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 9, 2011
                just as a thought, you can do file conversions online, at http://www.zamzar.com

                @-}-- alanna
              • Michael Klinosky
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 9, 2011
                  roro wrote:
                  > just as a thought, you can do file conversions online, at
                  > http://www.zamzar.com

                  Except that it doesn't support qcp. Go figure.

                  But I did bookmark it - I'll probably use it eventually.
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 9, 2011
                    --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Michael Klinosky <mpk2@...> wrote:

                    > roro wrote:
                    > > just as a thought, you can do file conversions online, at
                    > > http://www.zamzar.com
                    >
                    > Except that it doesn't support qcp. Go figure.
                    >
                    > But I did bookmark it - I'll probably use it eventually.

                    Did VLC play the qcp file?

                    If not, rename the extension from .qcp to .wav per:

                    <https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1573850?start=0&tstart=0>

                    though some claim it doesn't work.

                    Nice thing about standards is there are so many from which to choose.

                    :-)
                  • jerry_mccarthy_uk
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 10, 2011
                      > Nice thing about standards is there are so many from which to choose.
                      >
                      > :-)

                      http://www.xkcd.com/927/

                      Regards, Jerry McCarthy, U.K.
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 10, 2011
                        --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, "jerry_mccarthy_uk" <jerry_mccarthy_uk@...> wrote:

                        > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, "thad_floryan" <thad@> wrote:
                        > > Nice thing about standards is there are so many from which to choose.
                        > >
                        > > :-)
                        > >

                        > http://www.xkcd.com/927/
                        >
                        > Regards, Jerry McCarthy, U.K.

                        Perfect! :-)

                        I had forgotten to save that one. :-)
                      • Michael Klinosky
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 10, 2011
                          thad_floryan wrote:
                          > Did VLC play the qcp file?

                          I didn't try it (didn't install vlc).

                          > If not, rename the extension from .qcp to .wav per:
                          >
                          > <https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1573850?start=0&tstart=0>
                          >
                          > though some claim it doesn't work.

                          I saw that in my research (before my initial post). I tried it with
                          mplayer and totem - both complained that they needed a QCELP decoder.
                          So, it's hardcoded in the file.
                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 10, 2011
                            --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Michael Klinosky <mpk2@...> wrote:

                            > thad_floryan wrote:
                            > > Did VLC play the qcp file?
                            >
                            > I didn't try it (didn't install vlc).
                            >
                            > > If not, rename the extension from .qcp to .wav per:
                            > >
                            > > <https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1573850?start=0&tstart=0>
                            > >
                            > > though some claim it doesn't work.
                            >
                            > I saw that in my research (before my initial post). I tried it with
                            > mplayer and totem - both complained that they needed a QCELP decoder.
                            > So, it's hardcoded in the file.

                            Qualcomm sure seems to be a crap company. Their 2011 page has the
                            following for which all linux links are dead:

                            PureVoice converter for 32/64-bit linux from Qualcomm:

                            <http://www.qualcomm.com/products-services/mobile-content-services/voice/purevoice#downloads>

                            <http://www.qualcomm.com/sites/default/files/downloads/purevoice/PVConverter_linux_32bit_v3.5.tar.gz>

                            <http://www.qualcomm.com/sites/default/files/downloads/purevoice/PVConvReadmeLinux.txt>

                            Google finds a lot of converters that are apparently Windows-only.