Re: How NOT to count lines per The Daily WTF
- --- In email@example.com, "thad_floryan" <thad@...> wrote:
> [...]For the curious, the "j" and "pop" are related. The "j" displays any
> FWIW, here's what's in my .bash_aliases:
> alias j="jobs -l"
> alias pop="fg"
parent processes to which I can "pop" up into from a child shell.
So how do I use those? In emacs, typing a ^Z (Ctrl-Z) forks a new bash
child shell. The presence of the parent emacs process is revealed by
Why did I alias a longer "pop" rather than simply using "fg" (which is
for foreground)? This goes back to circa 1970s on DECsystem-20s which
had a "pop" command whose action is identical to UNIX's/linux's "fg" and
the "pop" is easier for _me_ to type given I'm right-handed. :-)
- -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
On Jun 30 2011 01:23 -0700, from cidhus@... (Herbert R Coburn):
> I like to track the number of poems I've written. Bad memory and all.Try "ls -l poems/" some time (note the slash). Or "ls -1 poems/" if
> I use cd poems; ls -l | wc -l quite frequently. poems is a link, so
> ls -l poems doesn't quite give the correct answer to stdout.
Michael Kjörling .. michael@... .. http://michael.kjorling.se
* ..... No bird soars too high if he soars with his own wings ..... *
* ENCRYPTED email preferred -- OpenPGP keys: 0x32D6B8C6, 0xBDE9ADA6 *
* ASCII Ribbon Campaign: Against HTML mail, proprietary attachments *
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (GNU/Linux)
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----