Re: How NOT to count lines per The Daily WTF

    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 30, 2011
      > FWIW, here's what's in my .bash_aliases:
      >
      > [...]
      > alias j="jobs -l"
      > [...]
      > alias pop="fg"
      > [...]

      For the curious, the "j" and "pop" are related. The "j" displays any
      parent processes to which I can "pop" up into from a child shell.

      So how do I use those? In emacs, typing a ^Z (Ctrl-Z) forks a new bash
      child shell. The presence of the parent emacs process is revealed by
      the "j".

      Why did I alias a longer "pop" rather than simply using "fg" (which is
      for foreground)? This goes back to circa 1970s on DECsystem-20s which
      had a "pop" command whose action is identical to UNIX's/linux's "fg" and
      the "pop" is easier for _me_ to type given I'm right-handed. :-)
    • Michael Kjorling