PCLinuxOS 2011.6 released featuring a rolling-release schedule

    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 28, 2011
      DistroWatch has a release announcement for PCLinuxOS KDE Edition here:

      <http://distrowatch.com/6753>

      In the announcement I noted "... with rolling-release update mechanism"
      which is what caught my eye. AFAIK, only Arch Linux touted a rolling-
      release procedure which avoids the twice-yearly mess of nearly all the
      other distros.

      It's been 4+ years since I installed and played-with PCLinuxOS, so I was
      curious what has changed. I first checked out this page:

      <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCLinuxOS>

      which filled-in for me some of what's happened over the past 4 years,
      and this page:

      <http://www.pclinuxos.com/?page_id=10>

      reveals they have support for just about every popular desktop: KDE,
      LXDE, XFCE, GNOME ZEN Mini, Enlightenment, OpenBox, and Gnome all in
      both 32-bit and 64-bit. They're claiming "ease of use and friendly
      for newbies".

      Four years ago it seemed quite primitive to me and I haven't "played"
      with it since, but the 2011 version(s) seem worthy of consideration
      by those not wishing tablet/thumb interfaces forced onto desktops.
      All of the desktop screenshots available for view from the above URL
      appear usable to me, and the nice thing is that one has choices.

      What really caught my attention is the choice of Full Version or a
      Light/Mini version for most (all?) of its variants, with the Full
      being for modern hardware and the Light/Mini for older hardware (and
      newer hardware).

      Has anyone in the group "played" with a recent version pf PCLinuxOS
      and have any comments about it?
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 28, 2011
        On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 05:40:01PM -0000, thad_floryan wrote:
        > DistroWatch has a release announcement for PCLinuxOS KDE Edition here:
        >
        > <http://distrowatch.com/6753>

        > In the announcement I noted "... with rolling-release update mechanism"
        > which is what caught my eye. AFAIK, only Arch Linux touted a rolling-
        > release procedure which avoids the twice-yearly mess of nearly all the
        > other distros.

        I *think* ScientificLinux also has one, but their rolling is going to be
        very slow, as it's still pretty much based on RHEL.

        > Has anyone in the group "played" with a recent version pf PCLinuxOS
        > and have any comments about it?

        There was a fellow on Fedora forums who took a Windows using friend and
        installed several newcomer-friendly distros for him. After
        experimentation, the Windows using friend thought that PCLinuxOS was the
        easiest to use for a Windows user.

        This was 6 months to a year ago, though.

        Buffy: Angel, do you snore?
        Angel: I don't know. It's been a long time since anyone's been in
        a position to let me know.
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 28, 2011
          --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:

          > On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 05:40:01PM -0000, thad_floryan wrote:
          > > DistroWatch has a release announcement for PCLinuxOS KDE Edition
          > > here:
          > >
          > > <http://distrowatch.com/6753>
          >
          > > In the announcement I noted "... with rolling-release update
          > > mechanism" which is what caught my eye. AFAIK, only Arch Linux
          > > touted a rolling-release procedure which avoids the twice-yearly
          > > mess of nearly all the other distros.
          >
          > I *think* ScientificLinux also has one, but their rolling is going
          > to be very slow, as it's still pretty much based on RHEL.

          I just now checked my SLED (Suse Linux Enterprise Desktop) system and
          it, too, has a rolling-release. If you want to see something bizarre,
          look at this screenshot I took a few minutes ago (had to use GIMP to
          take that [delayed] screenshot because of wanting to show two menus:

          <http://thadlabs.com/PIX/SLED_SS.png>

          I can almost 100% guarantee you've never seen a Desktop like that one
          before -- SLED-SP1! :-)

          I can get used to almost anything and have no clear preference as to
          what Desktop I use as long as the window controls are in the CORRECT
          place: upper right corner. Anything else will be tossed over the
          fence and my neighbors can deal with it. :-)

          > [...]
          > There was a fellow on Fedora forums who took a Windows using friend
          > and installed several newcomer-friendly distros for him. After
          > experimentation, the Windows using friend thought that PCLinuxOS
          > was the easiest to use for a Windows user.
          >
          > This was 6 months to a year ago, though.

          Interesting. I'm a Windows user, too: one Win98R2, one Win2K-SP4, one
          WinXP-SP3, 5 Vista-SP2, and one Win7-SP1 here.

          :-)

          Seriously, the 2011 editions of PCLinuxOS look pretty good. I want to
          see if their repos have a complete developer kit.
        • roro
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 28, 2011
            On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 11:40, thad_floryan <thad@...> wrote:

            > DistroWatch has a release announcement for PCLinuxOS KDE Edition here:

            <snip>

            > reveals they have support for just about every popular desktop: KDE,
            > LXDE, XFCE, GNOME ZEN Mini, Enlightenment, OpenBox, and Gnome all in
            > both 32-bit and 64-bit. They're claiming "ease of use and friendly
            > for newbies".

            <snip>

            > Has anyone in the group "played" with a recent version pf PCLinuxOS
            > and have any comments about it?

            i wouldn't mind playing with a live usb image just for the heck of it,
            but their site doesn't seem to indicate any x64 support

            @-}-- alanna
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 28, 2011
              --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, roro <roro@...> wrote:

              > On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 11:40, thad_floryan <thad@...> wrote:
              > > [...]
              > > Has anyone in the group "played" with a recent version pf PCLinuxOS
              > > and have any comments about it?
              >
              > i wouldn't mind playing with a live usb image just for the heck of it,
              > but their site doesn't seem to indicate any x64 support
              >
              > @-}-- alanna

              Sort of. At this page <http://www.pclinuxos.com/?s=64+bit> is found
              this <http://www.pclinuxos.com/?p=1267> which states:

              " PCLinuxOS KDE 2011.6 for 32 and 64 bits computers is now available
              " for download. A 64 bit only release will be available in the coming
              " weeks.

              It's annoying the Distrowatch blurb indicated both 32 and 64 bit were
              available "now". The key phrase is "64 bit only" (above), so what's
              available *today* is a 32-bit version that will also function on a
              64-bit-capable processor in 32-bit mode (my interpretation). Bummer.

              It doesn't appear everything (all variants) is both 32 and 64 bit yet.
            • roro
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 28, 2011
                On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 17:12, thad_floryan <thad@...> wrote:

                > Sort of. At this page <http://www.pclinuxos.com/?s=64+bit> is found
                > this <http://www.pclinuxos.com/?p=1267> which states:
                >
                > " PCLinuxOS KDE 2011.6 for 32 and 64 bits computers is now available
                > " for download. A 64 bit only release will be available in the coming
                > " weeks.
                >
                > It's annoying the Distrowatch blurb indicated both 32 and 64 bit were
                > available "now". The key phrase is "64 bit only" (above), so what's
                > available *today* is a 32-bit version that will also function on a
                > 64-bit-capable processor in 32-bit mode (my interpretation). Bummer.
                >
                > It doesn't appear everything (all variants) is both 32 and 64 bit yet.

                yuck.. and i don't want compatibility mode; i bought a 64-bit system
                for good reason, so i'll wait till they come up with something truly
                64bit.

                @-}-- alanna
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 28, 2011
                  --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, roro <roro@...> wrote:
                  > [...]
                  > yuck.. and i don't want compatibility mode; i bought a 64-bit system
                  > for good reason, so i'll wait till they come up with something truly
                  > 64bit.

                  Agreed. I'll keep an eye on PCLinuxOS' (PCLOS) website and post when I
                  find they have 64-bit "native" ISOs for download. If anyone discovers
                  the 64-bit ISOs before I do, feel welcome to post that fact here! :-)

                  Last time I looked into PCLOS back in 2007/2008, I learned it was a
                  one-person operation. The install CD (DVD?) I used was one from one of
                  the monthly Linux magazines. If it's still a one-person show, I can
                  appreciate the time required to assemble not only the five or six each
                  32 and 64 bit desktop variants but also populating the respective repos.
                  Even with a fast system, it takes time to compile/link all the packages.
                  Last time I built the GNU utilities (last year), I was really surprised
                  how much time was required -- IIRC it was 30 minutes alone just to do
                  the massive "./configure".
                • Alanna
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 28, 2011
                    On 06/28/2011 07:00 PM, thad_floryan wrote:

                    > Last time I looked into PCLOS back in 2007/2008, I learned it was a
                    > one-person operation. The install CD (DVD?) I used was one from one of
                    > the monthly Linux magazines. If it's still a one-person show, I can
                    > appreciate the time required to assemble not only the five or six each
                    > 32 and 64 bit desktop variants but also populating the respective repos.
                    > Even with a fast system, it takes time to compile/link all the packages.
                    > Last time I built the GNU utilities (last year), I was really surprised
                    > how much time was required -- IIRC it was 30 minutes alone just to do
                    > the massive "./configure".

                    one person? wow, that would take a LOT of time designing, configuring,
                    and building all the variants. dedicated individual to be sure. and
                    building for x64, (s)he would have to own said hardware, or else mess
                    with the intricacies of cross-compilers.

                    i sincerely hope that there are volunteers now to lighten this person's
                    workload.

                    @-}-- alanna
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 28, 2011
                      --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Alanna <roro@...> wrote:

                      > On 06/28/2011 07:00 PM, thad_floryan wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Last time I looked into PCLOS back in 2007/2008, I learned it was
                      > > a one-person operation. The install CD (DVD?) I used was one from
                      > > [...]
                      >
                      > one person? wow, that would take a LOT of time designing
                      > configuring, and building all the variants. dedicated individual to
                      > be sure. and building for x64, (s)he would have to own said hardware,
                      > or else mess with the intricacies of cross-compilers.

                      I just looked again at <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCLinuxOS> and
                      the PCLOS webpages and it still appears it's a one-person operation
                      by Bill Reynolds, aka Texstar. I suspect he has a bunch of computers
                      like I do. :-)

                      > i sincerely hope that there are volunteers now to lighten this
                      > person's workload.
                      >
                      > @-}-- alanna

                      The PCLOS community seems to help out, especially with the magazine
                      and possibly building the variants given the Wikipedia article talks
                      about "several community projects associated with PCLinuxOS" which
                      include MiniMe, KDE FullyMonty, PCLinuxOS Magazine, etc. The distro
                      appears to be a lot more "mature" than what I used circa 2007/2008 so
                      I'm looking forward to the upcoming 64-bit ISO to reevaluate it.
                    • Dale Miller
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 28, 2011
                        On 06/28/2011 08:00 PM, thad_floryan wrote:
                        > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, roro<roro@...> wrote:
                        >> [...]
                        >> yuck.. and i don't want compatibility mode; i bought a 64-bit system
                        >> for good reason, so i'll wait till they come up with something truly
                        >> 64bit.
                        > Agreed. I'll keep an eye on PCLinuxOS' (PCLOS) website and post when I
                        > find they have 64-bit "native" ISOs for download. If anyone discovers
                        > the 64-bit ISOs before I do, feel welcome to post that fact here! :-)
                        >
                        > Last time I looked into PCLOS back in 2007/2008, I learned it was a
                        > one-person operation. The install CD (DVD?) I used was one from one of
                        > the monthly Linux magazines. If it's still a one-person show, I can
                        > appreciate the time required to assemble not only the five or six each
                        > 32 and 64 bit desktop variants but also populating the respective repos.
                        > Even with a fast system, it takes time to compile/link all the packages.
                        > Last time I built the GNU utilities (last year), I was really surprised
                        > how much time was required -- IIRC it was 30 minutes alone just to do
                        > the massive "./configure".

                        It works pretty good on older hardware.
                        I installed it on a system for my kids when there here and need a system
                        to work on.
                        There is also a PCLinuxOS Magazine.
                        http://pclosmag.com/
                        I haven't played with it much but the kids haven't had any trouble
                        considering they've used Ubuntu before.

                        --
                        All the Best& 73's
                        Dale Miller, KC2CBD

                        Registered Linux User: #317401
                        Linux since June 2003
                        Ubuntu User #26423

                        stpatrick3spam@...
                        stpatrick3spam@...

                        (cut the spam to reply)

                        VOTE TO REBUILD!
                        www.twintowersalliance.com
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 28, 2011
                          --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Dale Miller <stpatrick2@...> wrote:

                          > On 06/28/2011 08:00 PM, thad_floryan wrote:
                          > > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, roro<roro@> wrote:
                          > >> [...]
                          > >> yuck.. and i don't want compatibility mode; i bought a 64-bit
                          > >> system for good reason, so i'll wait till they come up with
                          > >> something truly 64bit.
                          >
                          > > Agreed. I'll keep an eye on PCLinuxOS' (PCLOS) website and post
                          > > when I find they have 64-bit "native" ISOs for download.
                          > > [...]

                          > It works pretty good on older hardware.
                          > I installed it on a system for my kids when there here and need a
                          > system to work on.
                          > There is also a PCLinuxOS Magazine.
                          > http://pclosmag.com/
                          > I haven't played with it much but the kids haven't had any trouble
                          > considering they've used Ubuntu before.

                          That's good information; thank you!

                          Another thing I've noticed is a very active forum for PCLinuxOS:

                          <http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/>

                          I don't like that style of online forum -- it plagues many astronomy
                          groups, too, which is why I never join them and it also plagues the
                          SheevaPlug groups. It's just a bad software design. About the only
                          thing good I can say about Yahoo is their web interface to Groups is
                          nice and that's why I use it -- with ads blocked it's 100% usable.

                          Yahoo almost shot themselves in the foot and head last year, though,
                          when they attempted to inflict a Fecebook interface on Groups and
                          wasted 100,000s of hours of developer time implemeting garbage before
                          they woke up and reverted back after 100000s of angry emails and some
                          alleged property damage to Yahoo infrastructure. To compare both
                          interfaces that appeared on literally the same day before removing the
                          bad one, here's the old and now again present interface of one group:

                          <http://thadlabs.com/PIX/Yahoo_mysky_old.jpg>

                          and here's the Fecebook crapola interface they tried to inflict on us:

                          <http://thadlabs.com/PIX/Yahoo_mysky_new.jpg>

                          I was fortunate to be able to capture both interfaces on the same day
                          for one group. I'm concerned, though, that Yahoo may go belly-up due
                          to incompetent upper-management for years now:

                          <http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/06/24/BUS51K1R96.DTL>
                        • Dale Miller
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jun 29, 2011
                            On 06/29/2011 01:19 AM, thad_floryan wrote:
                            > -
                            >> It works pretty good on older hardware.
                            >> I installed it on a system for my kids when there here and need a
                            >> system to work on.
                            >> There is also a PCLinuxOS Magazine.
                            >> http://pclosmag.com/
                            >> I haven't played with it much but the kids haven't had any trouble
                            >> considering they've used Ubuntu before.
                            > That's good information; thank you!
                            >
                            > Another thing I've noticed is a very active forum for PCLinuxOS:
                            >
                            > <http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/>
                            >
                            > I don't like that style of online forum -- it plagues many astronomy
                            > groups, too, which is why I never join them and it also plagues the
                            > SheevaPlug groups. It's just a bad software design. About the only
                            > thing good I can say about Yahoo is their web interface to Groups is
                            > nice and that's why I use it -- with ads blocked it's 100% usable.

                            Haven't used the forum...had pretty good luck with Ubuntuforums.
                            I don't do much on the Yahoo site cause I get my yahoo groups via email
                            in Thunderbird.
                            The system I put PCLinuxOS on is an old Compaq Prosignia Desktop with a
                            Pentium III 550Mhz and 384mb of ram.
                            It isn't a speed demon but the kids don't complain.
                            I will probably change out the Gnome for something like LXDE if I get a
                            chance, that might make it alittle faster.
                            But I didn't run into any hurdles setting it up as I haven't tried to
                            setup a printer as of yet.
                            For what the kids need it isn't a show stopper.