Re: First impressions Ubuntu 11.04 Live CD

    Message 1 of 42 , May 4, 2011
      --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, J <dreadpiratejeff@...> wrote:
      > [...]
      > I'm somewhat in between those two groups and while initially I had to
      > adjust to the left hand control placement, I did, and now it's natural
      > for me to seek them out there, rather than on the right hand side.
      > [...]

      I'll keep this response short. I have 50+ computers here. Every single
      one has its windows controls at the upper right corner of a window. The
      systems include BSD, Linux, Solaris/SunOS, UNIX and Windows.

      I'm not going to switch to the left just for a handful of Ubuntu systems
      here. It is not natural for me to seek those controls at the upper
      left corner. I have not seen any credible and reasoned explanation for
      the change snd I don't like Macs either. :-)

      It's as simple as that. If Ubuntu forces such a change, I simply won't
      use Ubuntu on the desktop; my servers are headless so Unity is moot and
      my main Ubuntu laptop is going to remain at 8.04.4 forever since it's
      running many of my astronomy apps and is never exposed to the world.
      Message 42 of 42 , May 10, 2011
        --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:

        > On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 01:35:30AM -0000, thad_floryan wrote:
        > > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@> wrote:
        > > >

        > > I still want to test it (Unity) before making a final decision. It's odd
        > > that the Live CD didn't even invoke Unity on my largest system with an
        > > Intel E8500 (3.16 GHz), 4GB RAM, and EVGA GeForce 9800 GT video. I
        > > suppose there's something one has to do to invoke Unity -- will have
        > > to look that up.
        >
        > Apparently, there are still a lot of issues with Unity and NVidia.
        > Putting in the proprietary drivers should invoke it.

        That's good to know; thank you! I need to determine if that'll work
        with the Live CD -- I'm disinclined to install to GD just for a 30
        minute or so "test drive".

        > [...]
        > Jeff once pointed out, that where numbers are concerned, Arch, the
        > BSDs and other more technically oriented systems are really
        > niches--the user base who uses the computer as an end, rather than
        > a means, is quite a minority.

        A niche of a niche ... :-)

        > So, what you and I think probably matters less. I don't know where
        > SuSE fits in--here in the US, they seem to be relatively small.

        I'm not sure now either. I have one SLED (Suse Linux Enterprise
        Desktop) system here and it's different from everything else. Novell
        is now in bed with Microsoft (and, in fact, that incident occurring
        on Saturday March 29, 2008, is what triggered Levanta going belly-up
        on Monday March 31, 2008 [there were other related aspects I'd have
        to look up in my files for the details]; for the curious:

        <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levanta>
        <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linuxcare>
        <http://www.linuxcare.com/> weird, orig. founders bought the name)

        > RH has its server market, and is probably rather nervous about
        > Oracle,

        The signs aren't there. Oracle is shooting itself in the foot daily
        with its ridiculous price increases and severe mismanagement of its
        Sun acquisition. Many, MANY companies are simply abandoning all their
        Solaris systems and migrating to Linux as I read daily in the Sun
        newsgroups on Usenet.

        > [...]
        > I think both the Unity and Gnome3 folks will probably work on the
        > things that REALLY tick a lot of people off, but its basically the
        > interface of the future, $DEITY help us all.

        I fail to see the benefit(s) of a tablet-based solution or replacement
        of the present desktops. Every tablet system I've seen to date just
        leaves me cold (and I'm not a Luddite).

        > [...]
        > Or---everyone will start using KDE, LXDE, and XFCE4 and that will be
        > that, it will become a niche desktop like the *box's and tiling
        > managers.

        Very possible, or we "roll our own". :-)