Can't access external drives after upgrading kernel

  • Michael Fakaro
    Message 1 of 5 , May 2, 2011
      Running Suse 11.4 just upgraded to kernel Linux 2.6.37.6-0.5-desktop
      i686 now I can't access my ntfs external drives.

      I've Googled everywhere I can think and have not found a solution.

      Any help or a pointer in the right direction is greatly appreciated.
      pointer

      Thanks

      Mike
      Message 2 of 5 , May 2, 2011
        On Mon, May 02, 2011 at 06:47:54AM -0700, Michael Fakaro wrote:
        > Running Suse 11.4 just upgraded to kernel Linux 2.6.37.6-0.5-desktop
        > i686 now I can't access my ntfs external drives.
        >
        > I've Googled everywhere I can think and have not found a solution.
        >
        > Any help or a pointer in the right direction is greatly appreciated.
        > pointer

        What does dmesg report when you attempt to mount the drive?

      • Michael Kjorling
        • Michael Fakaro
          Message 4 of 5 , May 2, 2011
            On 02/05/2011 7:21 AM, ed wrote:
            > On Mon, May 02, 2011 at 06:47:54AM -0700, Michael Fakaro wrote:
            >
            >> Running Suse 11.4 just upgraded to kernel Linux 2.6.37.6-0.5-desktop
            >> i686 now I can't access my ntfs external drives.
            >>
            >> I've Googled everywhere I can think and have not found a solution.
            >>
            >> Any help or a pointer in the right direction is greatly appreciated.
            >> pointer
            >>
            > What does dmesg report when you attempt to mount the drive?

            I am at work now and not at my Linux box, but the message that came up
            was that there was an error in the Udisk.......... and when
            on to say that the file system was not well known??? sorry to be so
            vague but I will post the actual message later today.

            The weird thing is though it shows up in the drives window I just can't
            mount it, but if I go into VMware I can mount the drives in Windows XP.

            I also discovered that I can mount my smaller externals that are using
            Vfat as their files system, I don't know if that's another clue or not??

            Really appreciate your reply.

            Thanks

            Mike
          • Michael Fakaro
            Message 5 of 5 , May 2, 2011
              On 02/05/2011 7:32 AM, Michael Kjorling wrote:

              > On May 2 2011 06:47 -0700, from mfakaro@... (Michael Fakaro):
              >
              >> Running Suse 11.4 just upgraded to kernel Linux 2.6.37.6-0.5-desktop
              >> i686 now I can't access my ntfs external drives.
              >>
              > "Can't access" how?
              >
              > Is the physical drive not recognized by the kernel when you plug it in
              > and/or turn it on?
              >
              > Does the partition table scan show incorrect results? (dmesg should be
              > your friend for this one, and fdisk -l can also help.)
              >
              > Do the relevant device nodes not show up in /dev? What about /dev/disk
              > or /proc/partitions?
              >
              > Does "mount" fail silently, or by any chance offer an error message?
              >
              > Is the NTFS file system module loaded? (Try something like lsmod | grep ntfs)

              I am at work now and not at my Linux box

              By access I mean they show up in the Dolphin window but I can't mount
              them , but the message that comes up was that
              there was an error in the Udisk.......... and when on to say that the
              file system was not well known???

              Sorry to be so vague but I will post the actual message later today.

              If I go into VMware I can mount the drives in Windows XP.

              I will try "lsmod | grep ntfs" when I get back home.