Re: Debian 6.0 "Squeeze" released

    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 8, 2011
      --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Dale Miller <stpatrick2@...> wrote:

      > On 02/08/2011 09:31 AM, thad_floryan wrote:
      > > [...]
      > > The 147 page installation manual says that other ISO images (CD/DVD)
      > > will be prompted-for during an installation. Uh, OK. How does one know
      > > which CDs/DVDs should be burned and on hand? Burning 52 CDs or 8 DVDs
      > > doesn't seem prudent to me.
      > >
      > > Am I going blind and/or what am I missing? :-)
      >
      > How about making a custom CD/DVD?
      >
      > http://wiki.debian.org/DebianCustomCD/CustomDownload

      That looks interesting and I saved a copy of it, but it's described as:

      "Download a set of packages into a pool structure for use as a partial
      mirror"

      I attempted to run it but there are errors (with Perl 5.8.8):

      $ ./doit
      Can't locate Carp/Clan.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/lib/ ...

      $ grep Carp doit
      use Carp::Clan;
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 8, 2011
        --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Dale Miller <stpatrick2@...> wrote:

        > On 02/08/2011 10:01 AM, thad_floryan wrote:
        > > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, "thad_floryan"<thad@> wrote:
        > >> [...]
        > >> The 147 page installation manual says that other ISO images (CD/DVD)
        > >> will be prompted-for during an installation. Uh, OK. How does one
        > >> know which CDs/DVDs should be burned and on hand? Burning 52 CDs
        > >> or 8 DVDs doesn't seem prudent to me.
        > >>
        > >> Am I going blind and/or what am I missing? :-)
        > >
        > > [ The mistake is there is no list I can find showing the contents of
        > > the 52 CDs or 8 DVDs. I guess I won't be "playing" with Debian any
        > > time soon thanks to the inanity* above, thus saving me lots of time
        > > and money not wasting blank CDs/DVDs.]
        > >

        > This is supposedly everything on the disks here.
        > http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages

        Thank you for the reply, but that page is effective "empty" per:

        At <http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages> I click on "View the
        packages in the stable distribution" and end up here:

        <http://packages.debian.org/stable/>

        The only logical thing to click on that page is "All Packages". I
        click that and end up here

        "Software Packages in "squeeze""
        <http://packages.debian.org/stable/allpackages>

        which is an empty page for all intents and purposes. Nothing useful
        can be done on that page. This is the same mess I discovered this
        morning when I posted my rant. Clearly the "Squeeze" release is not
        yet ready for release which begs the question: Why did they release
        an incomplete distribution and call it "stable"?

        It's stuff like this, especially from one of the "majors", that gives
        Linux a bad name.

        Looking back to when I last installed a Solaris 10 (as just a point of
        reference), I downloaded some 100MB of PDF docs, a 4GB OS ISO, and an
        auxiliary CD ISO with "Sun Freeware". And that is an enterprise
        level OS. And it, like Linux, is/was all free. Things are still in a
        bit of disarray with Oracle having acquired Sun, but they're working
        out the glitches re: Sun's website contents, etc.
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 8, 2011
          --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Chris Becker <usabecker@...> wrote:

          > On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 10:01 AM, thad_floryan <thad@...> wrote:
          > >

          > Debian is actually the first thing I tried to install when I decided
          > to try out a real linux distro (other than knoppix). I must have
          > spent hours trying to figure out what was on what CD and whether I
          > could do an install without actually having a DVD burner. Granted, I
          > never dove quite so far into the manual. I seem to recall having a
          > similar issue with a few other distros, though not as extensive. I
          > was really glad I finally came across Ubuntu, which gave my
          > newb-addled brain a single iso to download along with instructions on
          > where and how to get an iso burned as an image so I could get a
          > working linux system.

          Thank you for your reply. I'm glad it isn't just me. One would
          think a 147 page installation manual would all the nitty-gritty. I
          always read docs before installing anything, but Debian's clearly sets
          a new low as far as useability goes.

          > [...]
          > I quite enjoyed reading your soapbox, as it brought back fond (or
          > maybe not-so fond) memories of the utter confusion I was experiencing
          > back then.

          Heh! And I don't have that much hair left to pull out trying to
          figure the Debian installation out. What I may do after I cool off is
          download the first DVD ISO and see what it does.

          > [...]
          > Those other CDs remain a mystery to me.

          I agree. 52 CDs (or 8 DVDs) is insane.

          I'm thinking back to the early 2000s and I seem to remember having a
          similar problem with Debian. At that time I had downloaded all their
          CDs (it was like 7 or 8 or so) and no matter how many times I put the
          "next" CD in the drive it kept failing to complete an install and I
          simply threw all the CDs in the trash and forsook Debian 'til now. I
          stuck with Red Hat for the most part since then. All the servers I
          set up for my client then ran Red Hat at HQ and the colo center along
          with some Solaris servers for Oracle and some AIX servers for, hmmm,
          whatever it is that IBM provides (I was going to write ClearCase but
          that isn't it. Ah, just remembered: WebSphere).

          It looks like I have another new reason to forsake Debian again. :-)
        • Dale Miller
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 9, 2011
            On 02/08/2011 10:12 PM, thad_floryan wrote:
            > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Dale Miller<stpatrick2@...> wrote:

            >>> [ The mistake is there is no list I can find showing the contents of
            >>> the 52 CDs or 8 DVDs. I guess I won't be "playing" with Debian any
            >>> time soon thanks to the inanity* above, thus saving me lots of time
            >>> and money not wasting blank CDs/DVDs.]
            >>>
            >> This is supposedly everything on the disks here.
            >> http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages
            > Thank you for the reply, but that page is effective "empty" per:
            >
            > At<http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages> I click on "View the
            > packages in the stable distribution" and end up here:

            That is strange, because when I found that link it showed the packages.

            --
            All the Best& 73's
            Dale Miller, KC2CBD

            Registered Linux User: #317401
            Linux since June 2003
            Ubuntu User #26423

            stpatrick3spam@...
            stpatrick3spam@...

            (cut the spam to reply)

            VOTE TO REBUILD!
            www.twintowersalliance.com
            --
          • Dale Miller
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 9, 2011
              On 02/08/2011 09:57 PM, thad_floryan wrote:
              > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Dale Miller<stpatrick2@...> wrote:
              >> On 02/08/2011 09:31 AM, thad_floryan wrote:
              >>> [...]
              >>> The 147 page installation manual says that other ISO images (CD/DVD)
              >>> will be prompted-for during an installation. Uh, OK. How does one know
              >>> which CDs/DVDs should be burned and on hand? Burning 52 CDs or 8 DVDs
              >>> doesn't seem prudent to me.
              >>>
              >>> Am I going blind and/or what am I missing? :-)
              >> How about making a custom CD/DVD?
              >>
              >> http://wiki.debian.org/DebianCustomCD/CustomDownload
              > That looks interesting and I saved a copy of it, but it's described as:
              >
              > "Download a set of packages into a pool structure for use as a partial
              > mirror"
              >
              > I attempted to run it but there are errors (with Perl 5.8.8):
              >
              > $ ./doit
              > Can't locate Carp/Clan.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/lib/ ...
              >
              > $ grep Carp doit
              > use Carp::Clan;

              I didn't run it so I can't exactly comment about it.
              I think I read that you would have to modify it for your situation.

              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 9, 2011
                --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Dale Miller <stpatrick2@...> wrote:

                > On 02/08/2011 10:12 PM, thad_floryan wrote:
                > >>>
                > >> This is supposedly everything on the disks here.
                > >> http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages
                > > Thank you for the reply, but that page is effective "empty" per:
                > >
                > > At<http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages> I click on "View the
                > > packages in the stable distribution" and end up here:
                >
                > That is strange, because when I found that link it showed the
                > packages.

                The "all packages" still shows nothing; clicking "compressed" simply
                shows a large list of packages but not where they are (i.e., which CD).
                That list is essentially useless for the purpose of knowing which ISO
                images to download and burn for an install per the manual.