Re: needing a remote acess program for ubuntu

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 27, 2011
      --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:

      > On Sun, May 03, 2009 at 12:32:39AM -0000, jjamescbarrow wrote:
      > > hey i am needing a remote connect program for ubuntu so i can
      > > axcess a machine runnin ubuntu for my windows machine
      >
      > Ok, you should do a little searching. :) Don't worry, when you're
      > starting, it's sometimes hard to know what to search.
      >
      > The usual one is VNC. I think your best bet might be to look at
      > Ubuntu forums and see if anyone posted a VNC or vino guide there.
      >
      > (They have a fairly decent search function on their forums.)
      >
      > It's pretty easy to find and to use on both Windows and Linux.

      Yes, this is an old thread. But it's the only one relevant in this
      group per a complete message archive search.

      I, too, used to use and recommend VNC, specifically RealVNC, which was
      one of the spinoffs (aka "fork") from AT&T when the real AT&T went
      belly-up. From my home on my Red Hat Linux laptop I could control the
      various servers and even Linux/Windows desktops at my office 25 miles
      away.

      I haven't had much need to do that recently until a situation arose
      this past weekend with a friend in Reno NV (I'm in Silicon Valley CA)
      who's having some "issues" with his Linux, MacOS X, and Windows boxes.

      I immediately thought of VNC, but after doing some searching I found
      there are 3 variants: RealVNC, TightVNC, and UltraVNC. RealVNC has a
      version 2.* for Windows but only a 1.* version for Linux and nothing
      for Mac OS. Both TightVNC and UltraVNC have other issues that are not
      to my liking.

      Further searching for a "remote desktop" solution for all of Linux,
      MacOS X and Windows finally succeeded with TeamViewer. Here's their
      homepage: <http://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx>.

      Their download page: <http://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/index.aspx>
      has this comment:

      " More than 100,000,000 Users spread over more than 200 countries
      " already use TeamViewer - when will you start?
      "
      " TeamViewer is ready to use, right after downloading! Download,
      " execute, and get started! - Your first session will start in less
      " than a minute.
      "
      " Commercial users are welcome to use these downloads for trial
      " purposes. TeamViewer is free for all non-commercial users!

      "Free for all non-commercial users" caught my attention. Further down
      the page are download buttons for Windows, MacOS X, Linux and Mobile
      (Android, iPhone, and iPad).

      The Linux choices include Redhat, Fedora, Suse, Mandriva, Debian and
      Ubuntu, both 32-bit and 64-bit for all per:

      <http://www.teamviewer.com/download/teamviewer_linux.rpm>
      <http://www.teamviewer.com/download/teamviewer_linux.deb>
      <http://www.teamviewer.com/download/teamviewer_linux_x64.deb>

      Additionally, there's a:

      <http://www.teamviewer.com/download/teamviewer_linux.tar.gz>

      for presumably everything else (I haven't unpacked the file yet).

      Product brochure and manual are here (I'm only partway through the
      manual so far):

      <http://www.teamviewer.com/images/pdf/TeamViewer_brochure.pdf>
      <http://www.teamviewer.com/download/teamviewer_manual.pdf>

      The TeamViewer company's HQ is located in Germany:

      TeamViewer GmbH
      Kuhnbergstr. 16
      73037 Göppingen
      Germany

      General Manager: Holger Felgner
      Registration: Ulm HRB 534075
      VAT: DE245838579

      This appears to be almost too good to be true. :-)

      Has anyone here in the linux group used TeamViewer before and can
      comment on it?