simple text in desktop

  • dul
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 2, 2010
      hi all

      i'm looking for ubuntu program (especially karmic) for remaind me. it can sets (write) simple text in desktop wall and update when I want. is there such a program?

      or should I hack that desktop?
      if so, from where I start and what I need?

      thanks very much
    • Chris
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 2, 2010
        Sent from a Windows® Mobile device

        _i'm looking for ubuntu program (especially karmic) for
        _remaind me. it can sets (write) simple text in desktop wall
        _and update when I want. is there such a program?
        _or should I hack that desktop?
        _
        _if so, from where I start and what I need?

        I assume a post-it type program is not what you are looking for? I would take a look at conky. Its basic form is more of a lighhtweight system monitor that sits on your desktop. However there are scripts that do everything from dissplay weather to tasks to text reminders. For the text reminders that I remember, conky just reads whatever you write into a specific file, but you can pump stuff into that file from the terminal, so you never have to open another program if you dont want to.
      • Dul Cangkul
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 2, 2010
          >_i'm looking for ubuntu program (especially karmic) for
          >_remaind me. it can sets (write) simple text in desktop wall
          >_and update when I want. is there such a program?
          >_or should I hack that desktop?
          >_
          >_if so, from where I start and what I need?
          >
          >I assume a post-it type program is not what you are looking for? I would take a
          >
          >look at conky. Its basic form is more of a lighhtweight system monitor that
          >sits on your desktop. However there are scripts that do everything from dissplay
          >
          >weather to tasks to text reminders. For the text reminders that I remember,
          >conky just reads whatever you write into a specific file, but you can pump stuff
          >
          >into that file from the terminal, so you never have to open another program if
          >you dont want to.

          oh niceeee
          I call it with
          $ conky -t 'hello world'
          but when I click desktop, it disappears
          any solution?

          thank U :)
        • Chris Becker
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 2, 2010
            > >look at conky. Its basic form is more of a lighhtweight system monitor that
            > >sits on your desktop. However there are scripts that do everything from dissplay
            >
            > oh niceeee
            > I call it with
            > $ conky -t 'hello world'
            > but when I click desktop, it disappears
            > any solution?
            >
            > thank U :)

            You need to tell it to sit on the desktop rather than a window in
            natulis/konquerer/etc.. You may be able to do that directly from the
            terminal, but I have never tried. The typical method is to have
            everything you want conky to display (and the way you want it
            displayed) described in the conkyrc file. I think the code that sits
            it transparent on the desktop is:

            own_window yes
            own_window_type override
            own_window_transparent yes

            Take a look at the following site for one way to set up conky (it has
            screenshots of the result)

            http://www.ubuntugeek.com/conky-a-light-weight-system-monitor-for-ubuntu-linux-systems.html

            I'd also recomend checking some forums for code you can add to conkyrc
            to display text notes. There are some that are very elegant and
            rather advanced (like having concky call data from a sql database),
            others simpler. I know the ubuntu forums has a "post your conkyrc
            files" thread with screenshots that you might want to browse through.

            Take a look at "The Contact List" file on this post:
            http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9228098&postcount=12555
            That shows one way to have a text file contents printed on screen with
            conky. And of course you would just update that text file being read
            with vi or pipe new text content into it directly from the CL.

            There are other examples on that thread too, the above is just one i
            had bookmarked.

            Hope that helps, and Good luck.
          • Dul Cangkul
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 2, 2010
              >Sent: Thu, December 2, 2010 10:59:40 PM
              >

              >> >look at conky. Its basic form is more of a lighhtweight system monitor that
              >> >sits on your desktop. However there are scripts that do everything from
              >>dissplay
              >>
              >> oh niceeee
              >> I call it with
              >> $ conky -t 'hello world'
              >> but when I click desktop, it disappears
              >> any solution?
              >>
              >> thank U :)
              >
              >You need to tell it to sit on the desktop rather than a window in
              >natulis/konquerer/etc.. You may be able to do that directly from the
              >terminal, but I have never tried. The typical method is to have
              >everything you want conky to display (and the way you want it
              >displayed) described in the conkyrc file. I think the code that sits
              >it transparent on the desktop is:
              >
              >own_window yes
              >own_window_type override
              >own_window_transparent yes
              >
              >Take a look at the following site for one way to set up conky (it has
              >screenshots of the result)
              >
              >http://www.ubuntugeek.com/conky-a-light-weight-system-monitor-for-ubuntu-linux-systems.html
              >

              >I'd also recomend checking some forums for code you can add to conkyrc
              >to display text notes. There are some that are very elegant and
              >rather advanced (like having concky call data from a sql database),
              >others simpler. I know the ubuntu forums has a "post your conkyrc
              >files" thread with screenshots that you might want to browse through.
              >
              >Take a look at "The Contact List" file on this post:
              >http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9228098&postcount=12555
              >That shows one way to have a text file contents printed on screen with
              >conky. And of course you would just update that text file being read
              >with vi or pipe new text content into it directly from the CL.

              wow greattt
              it works, broooooooooooo

              thanks you