Re: [linux] is MeeGo Doomed?

  • Allen D. Tate
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 1, 2010
      On 11/30/2010 2:04 PM, Scott wrote:

      > On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 11:55:38AM -0500, J wrote:
      > > http://www.techeye.net/software/nokias-meego-is-doomed
      > >

      > > Anyway, it's entertaining, and I wish I could get a free netbook with
      > > touch screen.
      >
      > Well, to COMPLETELY take it off topic and make it About Me (as an old
      > girlfriend used to say I always did)...
      >
      > Newegg had a Lenova for the their Black Friday sale--for those not in
      > the US, the day after Thanksgiving, a US holiday, is known for the
      > beginning of sales. It was a steal for $300. I actually set my alarm
      > for 3:00 am to be sure to get it. (Having to do with when the sale
      > started).
      >
      > However, when the alarm went off, I realized---I REALLY don't need a
      > laptop. I have a full size one and a netbook, neither of which are used
      > very often. (This was a full size).
      >
      > So, feeling proud of myself, I stayed in bed and didn't buy.
      >
      > The following day I told my wife how I manfully resisted buying
      > something just because it was on sale. Her response.....
      >
      > Oh good! Now, if I spend $300 for an iPad, we can use your $300 that
      > you saved and I can get one.
      >
      > Ahhh. logic.
      > Back to you, Jeff, but I thought you'd be amused, as a married man.

      Sounds like your wife and mine may have went to the same school of
      faulty logic. ;~)
    • J
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 1, 2010
        On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 15:04, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
        > Oh good!  Now, if I spend $300 for an iPad, we can use your $300 that
        > you saved and I can get one.

        By the way...

        I can only wish my wife would appreciate this kind of logic... I would
        even be supportive. Instead, our combined 600.00 would go to purses
        or shoes or some other such nonsense...

        I just wish I could have an iPad, even if by proxy.
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 1, 2010
          On Wed, Dec 01, 2010 at 09:43:24AM -0500, J wrote:
          > On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 15:04, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
          > > Oh good!  Now, if I spend $300 for an iPad, we can use your $300 that
          > > you saved and I can get one.
          > >

          > By the way...
          >
          > I can only wish my wife would appreciate this kind of logic... I would
          > even be supportive. Instead, our combined 600.00 would go to purses
          > or shoes or some other such nonsense...

          I think it's a gender thing. Most of the folks at work to which I
          related the tale simply agreed--the females looked and said, "What's
          wrong with that?"

          This crosses cultures, by the way.

          > I just wish I could have an iPad, even if by proxy.

          Yeah, I know, I'm curious msyelf. One fella at work has it. I really
          can't type on touchscreens, but she can. Despite the fact that English
          is her second language, her skill on her iphone far surpasses mine.

          Spike: If every vampire who said he was at the Crucifixion was
          actually there it would've been like Woodstock. I was at
          Woodstock. I fed off a flower person and I spent six hours
          watching my hand move.
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 1, 2010
            --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, J <dreadpiratejeff@...> wrote:
            > [...]
            > I just wish I could have an iPad, even if by proxy.

            One of my neighbors has one. We were "playing" with it out in my front
            yard (and I was surprised his WiFi reached that far) and I was very
            disappointed with its poor design and lack of features.

            Poor design: glare screen almost unusable outdoors and I'm sure would
            be just as troublesome indoors with lighting

            One feature lack: it wouldn't play any of the videos on my web site:
            <http://thadlabs.com/VIDEOS/>.

            Just another useless piece of iCrap, so be careful of what you wish for.

            :-)