Re: [linux] Re: is MeeGo Doomed?

  • J
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 30, 2010
      On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 00:55, thad_floryan <thad@...> wrote:

      > File server, yes (many people have done just that with the Sheeva and
      > Guru Plugs and similar systems), print server, hmmm.  I have a hard
      > time understanding the need for a print server except for a large
      > company with accountability/trackability requirements.  The one real
      > need I could see would be for a secure print server -- such that only
      > a "qualified" person could/would be able to pick up the printouts.  I
      > made something like that with one of the "Gateway" systems I designed
      > for Adalogic, Inc. back in the 1980s which also used the Motorola DES
      > chip (this chip: <http://thadlabs.com/PIX/MC6859_DES.jpg>, the date
      > code 8303 is the 3rd week of 1983).

      Print server because I have 4 - 6 systems that may need printer access
      at any one time, and only one USB laser printer to share...
      Mostly it's because I'm lazy and dont' wnat to have to carry my laptop
      over to the printer to plug it in and print a file out.

      > FWIW, all my home office LAN printers are (Ethernet) networked, so all
      > computers have easy access.  Even my Canon Pixma is networked though
      > its interface is USB; this is done via a Belkin USB hub model F5L009
      > which is Linux-based.  Some info here:

      And I'd not even be thinking print server, but unfortunately, my wife
      asked me what kind of printer we needed, and I passed along two very
      specific models, one black and white, one color, both laser and both
      with built in GigE. Unfortunately, the then took that info to the
      beach with my parents for Christmas shopping, none of them knowing
      anything about network printing, or how printers work in general, and
      I got the lower-end model black and white that does NOT have any
      networking capabilities... :(

      So now I need to use an intermediary to put that printer on the
      network so all my systems can print jobs as needed.

      > <http://www.belkin.com/uk/networkusbhub/>

      Belkin actually makes a print server appliance... about the size of a
      sheeva plug that handles up to 3 USB printers and connects via 100T or
      possibly GigE to the LAN...
    • Allen D. Tate
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 1, 2010
        On 11/30/2010 2:04 PM, Scott wrote:

        > On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 11:55:38AM -0500, J wrote:
        > > http://www.techeye.net/software/nokias-meego-is-doomed
        > >

        > > Anyway, it's entertaining, and I wish I could get a free netbook with
        > > touch screen.
        >
        > Well, to COMPLETELY take it off topic and make it About Me (as an old
        > girlfriend used to say I always did)...
        >
        > Newegg had a Lenova for the their Black Friday sale--for those not in
        > the US, the day after Thanksgiving, a US holiday, is known for the
        > beginning of sales. It was a steal for $300. I actually set my alarm
        > for 3:00 am to be sure to get it. (Having to do with when the sale
        > started).
        >
        > However, when the alarm went off, I realized---I REALLY don't need a
        > laptop. I have a full size one and a netbook, neither of which are used
        > very often. (This was a full size).
        >
        > So, feeling proud of myself, I stayed in bed and didn't buy.
        >
        > The following day I told my wife how I manfully resisted buying
        > something just because it was on sale. Her response.....
        >
        > Oh good! Now, if I spend $300 for an iPad, we can use your $300 that
        > you saved and I can get one.
        >
        > Ahhh. logic.
        > Back to you, Jeff, but I thought you'd be amused, as a married man.

        Sounds like your wife and mine may have went to the same school of
        faulty logic. ;~)
      • J
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 1, 2010
          On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 15:04, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
          > Oh good!  Now, if I spend $300 for an iPad, we can use your $300 that
          > you saved and I can get one.

          By the way...

          I can only wish my wife would appreciate this kind of logic... I would
          even be supportive. Instead, our combined 600.00 would go to purses
          or shoes or some other such nonsense...

          I just wish I could have an iPad, even if by proxy.
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 1, 2010
            On Wed, Dec 01, 2010 at 09:43:24AM -0500, J wrote:
            > On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 15:04, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
            > > Oh good!  Now, if I spend $300 for an iPad, we can use your $300 that
            > > you saved and I can get one.
            > >

            > By the way...
            >
            > I can only wish my wife would appreciate this kind of logic... I would
            > even be supportive. Instead, our combined 600.00 would go to purses
            > or shoes or some other such nonsense...

            I think it's a gender thing. Most of the folks at work to which I
            related the tale simply agreed--the females looked and said, "What's
            wrong with that?"

            This crosses cultures, by the way.

            > I just wish I could have an iPad, even if by proxy.

            Yeah, I know, I'm curious msyelf. One fella at work has it. I really
            can't type on touchscreens, but she can. Despite the fact that English
            is her second language, her skill on her iphone far surpasses mine.

            Spike: If every vampire who said he was at the Crucifixion was
            actually there it would've been like Woodstock. I was at
            Woodstock. I fed off a flower person and I spent six hours
            watching my hand move.
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 1, 2010
              --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, J <dreadpiratejeff@...> wrote:
              > [...]
              > I just wish I could have an iPad, even if by proxy.

              One of my neighbors has one. We were "playing" with it out in my front
              yard (and I was surprised his WiFi reached that far) and I was very
              disappointed with its poor design and lack of features.

              Poor design: glare screen almost unusable outdoors and I'm sure would
              be just as troublesome indoors with lighting

              One feature lack: it wouldn't play any of the videos on my web site:
              <http://thadlabs.com/VIDEOS/>.

              Just another useless piece of iCrap, so be careful of what you wish for.

              :-)