Help with Win2K8 R2 Server, Likewise, CIFS, CentOS 5

  • Scott Ehrlich
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 29, 2010
      I have a Windows Server 2008 R2 domain controller and a CentOS 5
      workstation with Likewise Open installed permitting the C5 system to
      be joined to the server's domain.

      The server has two RAID 1 disks for the OS and five RAID 5 disks for
      data (both NTFS).   I'm trying to find the best options to add/mount
      the Windows' data volume to the C5 workstation without giving users
      sudo, without using NFS, and without having to store any user/pass
      details in any files anywhere on the system - let the authentication
      happen via single sign on (utilize the user's credentials when logged
      in).   I also want the flexibility of allowing the volume to magically
      appear when a user logs in even if the C5 workstation is restarted for
      any reason (shut down, rebooted, loses power, etc).

      Also, users should have full read/write access to the cifs volume.

      I've spent a long time today reviewing google searches of mount and
      noauto,user.  Mount requires root (user has s bit set).  No user will
      have sudo.

      What is the magic line for /etc/fstab and/or a command-line mount?

      The C5 workstation has NO local account - all authentication is SSO
      via likewise to the local user account on the Windows server.

      The setup is isolated/standalone.

      Thanks.

      Scott
    • dabigboy@cox.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 29, 2010
        ---- Scott Ehrlich <srehrlich@...> wrote:
        > I have a Windows Server 2008 R2 domain controller and a CentOS 5
        > workstation with Likewise Open installed permitting the C5 system to
        > be joined to the server's domain.
        >
        > The server has two RAID 1 disks for the OS and five RAID 5 disks for
        > data (both NTFS).   I'm trying to find the best options to add/mount
        > the Windows' data volume to the C5 workstation without giving users
        > sudo, without using NFS, and without having to store any user/pass
        > details in any files anywhere on the system
        <snip snip snip>

        Is there anything stopping you from sharing the Windows volume as a SMB share and using Samba on the C5 system to mount it? If everyone has the same level of privileges to the NTFS volume, you would only need one Samba login account. I'm doing a similar setup (minus the RAID) at home for several Linux and Windows machines that are running a flight simulator environment and its related development resources.

        Matt
      • Scott Ehrlich
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 29, 2010
          On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 8:41 PM, <dabigboy@...> wrote:

          > ---- Scott Ehrlich <srehrlich@...> wrote:
          >> I have a Windows Server 2008 R2 domain controller and a CentOS 5
          >> workstation with Likewise Open installed permitting the C5 system to
          >> be joined to the server's domain.
          >>
          >> The server has two RAID 1 disks for the OS and five RAID 5 disks for
          >> data (both NTFS).   I'm trying to find the best options to add/mount
          >> the Windows' data volume to the C5 workstation without giving users
          >> sudo, without using NFS, and without having to store any user/pass
          >> details in any files anywhere on the system
          > <snip snip snip>
          >
          > Is there anything stopping you from sharing the Windows volume as a SMB share and using Samba on the C5 system to mount it? If everyone has the same level of privileges to the NTFS volume, you would only need one Samba login account. I'm doing a similar setup (minus the RAID) at home for several Linux and Windows machines that are running a flight simulator environment and its related development resources.
          >
          > Matt

          I should have mentioned the drive is shared out as "data". Mounting
          as cifs, as I know it, requires some user's username and password. I
          do not want anyone's user/password pair to be stored anywhere but the
          proper places (i.e. Windows SAM database, etc).

          Thanks.

          Scott