Linux games for the kiddies during the upcoming holidays

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 20, 2010
      Believe it or not, there are graphical games with sound for Linux, and
      some are quite interesting.

      penguin-command is a port of the arcade "Missile Command" game with
      better sound and graphics and is quite challenging to play especially
      at the higher levels. It's available in source form (only) at:

      <http://www.linux-games.com/>, specifically:

      Following is how I built that version on Ubuntu a few years ago. First,
      establish a complete compile environment if you haven't already per:

      sudo apt-get update
      sudo apt-get upgrade
      sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
      sudo apt-get install build-essential
      sudo apt-get install manpages-dev
      sudo apt-get install manpages-posix-dev
      sudo apt-get install manpages-posix
      sudo apt-get install libc6-dev
      sudo apt-get install gcc-doc
      sudo apt-get install libx11-dev
      sudo apt-get install xorg-dev
      sudo apt-get install x11proto-print-dev
      sudo apt-get install libxp-dev
      sudo apt-get install apt-file
      sudo apt-get install devscripts fakeroot

      Then install the sdl (sound package) stuff:

      sudo apt-get install libsdl1.2debian
      sudo apt-get install libsdl1.2debian-all
      sudo apt-get install libsdl1.2-dev
      sudo apt-get install libsdl1.2-image1.2
      sudo apt-get install libsdl1.2-image1.2-dev
      sudo apt-get install libsdl1.2-mixer1.2
      sudo apt-get install libsdl1.2-mixer1.2-dev

      Then download the penguin-command tar file. Create a "work"
      directory, go to it, unpack the tar file, configure, and make per:

      mkdir work
      cd work
      zcat ../Desktop/penguin-command-1.6.11.tar.gz | tar xvof -
      cd penguin-command-1.6.11

      Then play the game per:

      That's it. Only takes as long to do as your download requires for the
      "apt-get installs" and penguin-command program. The configure takes
      a few seconds and the make (which does all the compilation, etc.) will
      take maybe 10 seconds or so. My Ubuntu system is on a refurbed Dell
      Latitude C610, 1.2 GHz CPU with a new 60GB HD, in a stacked array of
      docking stations.

      I really think you'll like it. Once I started the game I remembered
      playing the original game ages ago (and forgot what is was called),
      but penguin-command is far, far better with its graphics and sound.
      A sub-woofer helps. :-)

      Another two interesting games were just announced yesterday in one of
      the Linux newsgroups on Usenet. Here's the original blurb:

      " I've released a new X win version of my attempt at the 1980s arcade
      " game QIX. It compiles and runs on Linux, FreeBSD and OSF/1 and with
      " Linux there is also sound.
      " Its written in C++ and doesn't require any special libraries just
      " Xlib and Xext and sound data is written direct to /dev/dsp) so if
      " you're interested you can get it here:
      " <http://www.ogham.demon.co.uk/zips/xix131.tgz>
      " I have also written another game called Final Gun which is my own
      " idea and is a simple 3D game. It runs on the same platforms and it
      " doesn't require any special libraries either:
      " <http://www.ogham.demon.co.uk/zips/finalgun_110.tgz>
      " Have fun.
      " Neil Robertson
      " neil@...

      Both of the two above are built very easily. Download the *.tgz file.
      expand it into a work directory, then simply type "make" and voila.
      I need to read the game play instructions, but the graphics and sound
      are very-well done.