Linux owns supercomputing

  • J
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1 6:07 AM

      This is a summary graphic of the bi-annual top 500 supercomputers list
      that you can view by Country, by Speed, by Processor, etc...

      Most importantly, however, is the by OS, which was a pretty dramatic
      looking picture :-)

      Cheers,

      Jeff
    • Chris Becker
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1 7:07 AM
        >J <dreadpiratejeff@...> wrote:

        > This is a summary graphic of the bi-annual top 500 supercomputers list
        > that you can view by Country, by Speed, by Processor, etc...
        >
        > Most importantly, however, is the by OS, which was a pretty dramatic
        > looking picture :-)

        I got to spend a few years working on a supercomputers doing molecular
        modeling. I don't think any of those made the list though. :) I
        always had the impression they were running Unix- but I don't see that
        OS even mentioned. I'm not too sure though, my only interaction was a
        graphical ssh in bash and korn shells AND I didn't really know what
        linux was back then. But hey, maybe I was working with Linux a little
        sooner than I realized. It is trully awesome to see those numbers.
        Maybe the desktop market will look like that some day. Here's to
        hoping.
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 1 9:30 AM
          On Tue, Jun 01, 2010 at 09:07:39AM -0500, Chris Becker wrote:
          > >J <dreadpiratejeff@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/10187248.stm
          > > This is a summary graphic of the bi-annual top 500 supercomputers list
          > > that you can view by Country, by Speed, by Processor, etc...
          > >
          > > Most importantly, however, is the by OS, which was a pretty dramatic
          > > looking picture :-)
          >
          > I got to spend a few years working on a supercomputers doing molecular
          > modeling. I don't think any of those made the list though. :) I
          > always had the impression they were running Unix- but I don't see that
          > OS even mentioned.

          If you mean you didn't see Unix mentioned in the list of supercomputers,
          it had both AIX and Solaris, both of which are Unix. In many cases, this
          just means that the company has gone to the trouble of getting it
          certified--for example, Apple OS X is certified Unix, FreeBSD is not.
          Linux, of course, isn't--GNU stands for Gnu is not Unix.

          Practically speaking, however, there are probably more similarities than
          differences--for what it's worth, the O'Reilly Unix System
          Administration bok covers, AIX, FreeBSD, HP-UX (another certified Unix),
          RedHat Linux, and Solaris.

          Buffy: Do we really need weapons for this?
          Spike: I just like them. They make me feel all manly.
        • Chris Becker
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 1 10:02 AM
            >> Chris<usabecker@...> wrote:
            > > I got to spend a few years working on a supercomputers doing molecular
            > > modeling. I always had the impression they were running Unix- but
            >> I don't see that OS even mentioned.
            >
            > Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
            > If you mean you didn't see Unix mentioned in the list of supercomputers,
            > it had both AIX and Solaris, both of which are Unix. In many cases, this
            > just means that the company has gone to the trouble of getting it
            > certified--for example, Apple OS X is certified Unix, FreeBSD is not.
            > Linux, of course, isn't--GNU stands for Gnu is not Unix.

            Ah, I didn't realize those were unix. I remain pretty ignorant
            towards what I was doing back then, other than how many processors I
            was allowed and the various commands I needed to navigate my directory
            and to execute/edit my scripts and programs from cygwin. I do wish I
            had taken more time then to learn rather than just using it as an
            obligatory tool. ~Chris
          • visual_infinityuk
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 1 10:03 AM
              Well not wanting to introduce political arguments to the thread, I for one was unimpressed China got to host the lympics given its history on human rights abuse, wel I just read this http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/10181725.stm "China ramps up efforts to become a supercomputing superpower, as one of its machines is ranked second fastest in the world. "
            • J
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 1 11:00 AM
                On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 13:03, visual_infinityuk
                <visual_infinityuk@...> wrote:
                > Well not wanting to introduce political arguments to the thread, I for one was unimpressed China got to host the lympics given its history on human rights abuse, wel I just read
                > this http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/10181725.stm "China ramps up efforts to become a supercomputing superpower, as one of its machines is ranked second fastest in
                > the world. "

                "I don't want to introduce political aruguments to the thread, but I'm
                going to anyway.'

                In the future, please refrain from doing so. Unless you are
                discussing the politics of technology, particularly Free/Open Source
                Software and Linux, politics have no place here at all. And sliding
                them in the way you did does not get you a pass either.