Re: [linux] Re: Ubuntu 10.04 released, window title bar buttons moved

    Message 1 of 18 , May 1, 2010
      On Sat, May 01, 2010 at 11:19:31PM -0000, thad_floryan wrote:

      > The upper-right corner for those buttons is a defacto "standard"
      > since at least 1984 on my AT&T 3B1 (aka UNIXPC aka PC7300); I still
      > have 3 functioning 3B1 systems. All of my SunOS and Solaris systems
      > have the buttons at the upper-right corner. And just about everything
      > else I have here (Linux and Windows) has those buttons in the
      > upper-right corner.
      >
      > The only system of which I'm aware with the buttons in the upper-left
      > corner is MacOS. Is Canonical going after the Mac market?

      I don't know, but the thing here is that Mac is certainly a well known
      O/S and has success with it.

      > At least the "correct" positioning can be restored, but this begs the
      > question "WTF's wrong with Canonical changing them for no apparent
      > good reason?"

      According to Mr. Shuttleworth, it's to clear the right side of the
      window for future plans. Whatever one thinks of it, he's done so much
      for Linux so far, including, as I mentioned earlier, aiding in getting
      it supported by hardware and software vendors, that I'll let him
      slide--which I'm sure is very important to him. :)

      I understand what you're saying--after all, I use Fedora (we're working
      hard to make Windows the better choice). Also, as mentioned, there are
      several themes, available with a click, that use the standard right hand
      buttons.

      I guess, since I'm so elite and seldom use such buttons, I'm relatively
      unsympathetic. :)

      > Moving the buttons like that is as insane as going back to "random"
      > pedal position in automobiles.

      Now *that* is an interesting thought. Could be a new reality TV show,
      "Which one is the brake?"

      I dunno, in this one case, I'm going to respectfully disagree about its
      importance. Those who already use Ubuntu will quickly figure out how
      to fix it if they want, those who are new to it will just think, Oh,
      like a Mac.

      It's not like pulseaudio, which has made what should be intuitive and
      easy, sound, a pain in the neck.

      Buffy: Could I be seeing Billy's asteroid body?
      Giles: Astral body, and I don't know.
    • visual_infinityuk
      Message 2 of 18 , May 2, 2010
        I just discovered gparted isn't installed by default on my Ubuntu 10.4 32bit. Also I wanted to be able to install ubuntu with my choice of what is and is not installed, however I never get that choice, I guess i could use the live disk and uninstall stuff before installing to HD, but thats a pretty sloppy way of doing it.
        Message 3 of 18 , May 2, 2010
          On Sun, May 02, 2010 at 10:32:16AM -0000, visual_infinityuk wrote:
          > I just discovered gparted isn't installed by default on my Ubuntu 10.4 32bit. Also I wanted to be able to install ubuntu with my choice of what is and is not installed, however I never get that choice, I guess i could use the live disk and uninstall stuff before installing to HD, but thats a pretty sloppy way of doing it.

          Ubuntu doesn't seem made for that. There is the alternate install CD,
          which gives you a text based installation. You add X afterwards.

          That is, after booting the installation, you don't yet have X windows,
          you boot into text mode.

          Buffy: I'm sorry, it's just been a really weird day.
          Xander: Yeah, Buffy died and everything.
          Willow: Wow, harsh.
        • J
          Message 4 of 18 , May 2, 2010
            On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 06:47, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
            > On Sun, May 02, 2010 at 10:32:16AM -0000, visual_infinityuk wrote:
            >> I just discovered gparted isn't installed by default on my Ubuntu 10.4 32bit. Also I wanted to be able to install ubuntu with my choice of what is and is not installed, however I never get that choice, I guess i could use the live disk and uninstall stuff before installing to HD, but thats a pretty sloppy way of doing it.
            >>

            > Ubuntu doesn't seem made for that.  There is the alternate install CD,
            > which gives you a text based installation.  You add X afterwards.
            >
            > That is, after booting the installation, you don't yet have X windows,
            > you boot into text mode.

            Not necessarily so... the alternate CD will give you X during the
            install (it's just the installer that doesn't run in X). The SERVER
            images do not install X by default, but the alternate ones do.

            And yes, if you want to pick and choose, use the alternate images...
            they allow an installation process similar to the good old days when
            you'd tell the Red Hat installer that you wanted Expert mode... and
            you did everything by hand.

            My biggest complaint so far with any of the installation methods is
            that none of them allow you to pre-configure more then one ethernet
            device... so if you have 2 or more, you can only choose one. :(
            Message 5 of 18 , May 3, 2010
              On Mon, May 03, 2010 at 12:08:05AM -0400, J wrote:
              > On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 06:47, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:

              > > Ubuntu doesn't seem made for that.  There is the alternate install CD,
              > > which gives you a text based installation.  You add X afterwards.
              > >
              > > That is, after booting the installation, you don't yet have X windows,
              > > you boot into text mode.
              >
              > Not necessarily so... the alternate CD will give you X during the
              > install (it's just the installer that doesn't run in X). The SERVER
              > images do not install X by default, but the alternate ones do.

              Ah, I think it might have changed then (IF I remember correctly, which I
              may not.)

              > And yes, if you want to pick and choose, use the alternate images...
              > they allow an installation process similar to the good old days when
              > you'd tell the Red Hat installer that you wanted Expert mode... and
              > you did everything by hand.

              Speaking of, had to laugh at the current RH release notes for RH6.
              They've followed Fedora and completely crippled the text mode install in
              RH. You can't select packages, custom partition, or anything else. The
              notes say something like text mode has been streamlined and simplified.
              One suspects they hired the same fellow who thought up the term,
              "Windows Genuine Advantage." Ah, the marvels of spin.

              > My biggest complaint so far with any of the installation methods is
              > that none of them allow you to pre-configure more then one ethernet
              > device... so if you have 2 or more, you can only choose one. :(

              However, when it comes up, if you have both a wired and wireless, it
              will try to connect both of them, which is annoying. (This isn't Ubuntu
              only, this seems to be anything using NetworkManager.).

              Angel: The Master arose. He let me live... to punish me. I kept
              hoping you'd come. My destiny...
              Buffy: Is this a get-in-my-pants thing? You guys in Sunnydale
              talk like I'm the second coming.
            • J
              Message 6 of 18 , May 3, 2010
                On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 06:18, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:

                >> My biggest complaint so far with any of the installation methods is
                >> that none of them allow you to pre-configure more then one ethernet
                >> device... so if you have 2 or more, you can only choose one. :(
                >
                > However, when it comes up, if you have both a wired and wireless, it
                > will try to connect both of them, which is annoying. (This isn't Ubuntu
                > only, this seems to be anything using NetworkManager.).

                Yeah, and in all honesty, I've never been a big fan of NetworkManager
                either. And it is quite annoying, as you pointed out, to have both
                wireless and cable enabled simultaneously and no way that I've found
                yet to set copper as the primary and have wireless only turn on when
                copper is not present... :(

                oh for the days of manually configuring ifcfg-ethX and using ifup and
                ifdown from a console :)
              • visual_infinityuk
                Message 7 of 18 , May 3, 2010
                  Well, I installed wicd on someones advice, and it installed and saw more networks than nm-applet --sm-disable did, it saw my network, but when it tried to connect it said password failed. I chose right encryption and tried both with "passphrase" and "preshared key" mode however both said pw failed.