Re: Virus on *x (Linux, Mac)

    Message 1 of 23 , May 1, 2010
      --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Ajay Gautam <sink@...> wrote:
      > [...]
      > Mac OS has, somehow found the right mix of security and
      > functionality. This is the only system where my account is a regular
      > user account. On both windows, and linux, its just to painful to
      > setup an account for yourself that has no admin privileges.

      Huh??????

      It's trivial on Linux, UNIX and Windows. I can do it in seconds while
      blindfolded and both hands tied behind my back. Slight exaggeration. :-)

      The only systems (of the nearly 50 UNIX, Solaris, Linux and Windows) I
      have here that DON'T have "normal" user (no-privilege) accounts are my
      two Sheevaplugs though it'd take all of about 15 seconds to create one.
      Message 2 of 23 , May 1, 2010
        --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
        > [...]
        > I love this one.
        >
        > http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/images/iProduct.gif
        > (Warning, some foul language).

        Here's one of my faves:

        <http://thadlabs.com/PIX/iCrap.jpg>

        :-)
        Message 3 of 23 , May 1, 2010
          --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
          > [...]
          > Lastly, my own experience has been, much as it hurts to say it, that
          > Cups has greatly improved since Apple took it over.

          Oh???

          My experience is 180° opposite.

          Once Apple put their greasy fingers on it, I cannot use cups on any of
          my Linux or Solaris systems with HP4050 or HP2015 networked Postscript
          printers. I have to rcp files to my old Red Hat 9, Fedora Core 2,
          Fedora Core 3, or SunOS 4.1.4 or Solaris 2.5.1, Solaris 7 and Solaris 8
          systems to print.

          Those same (HP4050 and HP2150) networked printers work perfectly from
          my Windows systems.

          You can see the printers here <http://thadlabs.com/PIX/Thad_desk.jpg>.
          The 2015 is to the left of the LCD monitor and the 4050 is in the back
          with the upper-right corner of the LCD monitor "pointing" to it. To
          the right of the 4050 is a Canon color inkjet that only works from my
          Windows systems. A few of the Solaris systems are to the left of the
          4050; the others (Sun) are in another room (still on the same LAN)
          and another Solaris 10 x64 system is two towers to the left of the
          2015.
          Message 4 of 23 , May 1, 2010
            On Sun, May 02, 2010 at 12:02:44AM -0000, thad_floryan wrote:
            > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
            > > [...]
            > > Lastly, my own experience has been, much as it hurts to say it, that
            > > Cups has greatly improved since Apple took it over.
            >
            > Oh???
            >
            > My experience is 180° opposite.

            Interesting. I used to cheerfully say it referred to Can't Usually
            Print Stuff, but in all honesty, it really has, in my experience,
            greatly improved.

            Angelus: No weapons... no friends... no hope. Take all
            that away and what's left?
            Buffy: Me.
            Message 5 of 23 , May 1, 2010
              --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:

              > On Sun, May 02, 2010 at 12:02:44AM -0000, thad_floryan wrote:
              > > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@> wrote:
              > > > [...]
              > > > Lastly, my own experience has been, much as it hurts to say it, that
              > > > Cups has greatly improved since Apple took it over.
              > >
              > > Oh???
              > >
              > > My experience is 180° opposite.
              >
              > Interesting. I used to cheerfully say it referred to Can't Usually
              > Print Stuff, but in all honesty, it really has, in my experience,
              > greatly improved.

              It used to be trivial and took less than 30 seconds to get a new printer
              working: enter its IP address, specify JetDirect with PostScript, then
              print a test page and *BAM*, done.

              Once Apple got their hands on CUPS, none of my newer systems (except
              for the Windows ones) can print directly to those printers; the older
              systems still print to them just fine.

              Culprit? Apple.
              Message 6 of 23 , May 1, 2010
                On Sun, May 02, 2010 at 12:21:41AM -0000, thad_floryan wrote:
                > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
                > >

                > > Interesting. I used to cheerfully say it referred to Can't Usually
                > > Print Stuff, but in all honesty, it really has, in my experience,
                > > greatly improved.
                >
                > It used to be trivial and took less than 30 seconds to get a new printer
                > working: enter its IP address, specify JetDirect with PostScript, then
                > print a test page and *BAM*, done.
                >
                > Once Apple got their hands on CUPS, none of my newer systems (except
                > for the Windows ones) can print directly to those printers; the older
                > systems still print to them just fine.

                Interesting. Actually, I haven't used lpadmin for awhile, so can't be
                sure. I used to just do lpadmin -P Printer -E -v socket://<IP_address>
                -m whatever.ppd. However, I set up these printers awhile ago, the
                current HP using hplip and the Brothers with the Cups web interface.
                So, I don't have recent experience. Hrrm, at work....nope, had to grab a
                special ppd, and once again used web interface.

                > Culprit? Apple.

                Oh, I believe you. Just hasn't been my experience.

                Buffy: Looks like a job for wiccan-girl. What do you say,
                Will? Big time danger.
                Willow: Hey, I eat danger for breakfast.
                Xander: But, oddly enough, she panics in the face of breakfast
                foods.
              • Al Thompson
                Message 7 of 23 , May 1, 2010