Re: [linux] John the Ripper

  • Al Thompson
    Message 1 of 27 , Apr 1, 2010
      G. Stewart wrote:
      > On Thu, 01 Apr 2010 02:21:42 -0400, Al Thompson <biggles58@...>
      > wrote:
      >
      > > If the husband is dead, who is going to care or complain?
      >
      > The children from a previous marriage of the husband?

      As long as it's the husband's computer, the wife has more rights over it
      than the children.

      --

      Check out the website I've been cobbling together. It will never be
      done, but it's a start:

      My blog, with commentary on a variety of things, including audio,
      mixing, equipment, etc, is at:
      http://audioandmore.wordpress.com

      Staat heißt das kälteste aller kalten Ungeheuer. Kalt lügt es auch;
      und diese Lüge kriecht aus seinem Munde: 'Ich, der Staat, bin das Volk.'
      - [Friedrich Nietzsche]
    • G. Stewart
      • Jerry McCarthy
        Message 3 of 27 , Apr 1, 2010
          > Posted by: "Robert C Wittig" wittig.robert@...
          > Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:51 pm (PDT)
          >
          > ...assuming that it is not some weird filesystem, that Linux can't
          > handle (I don't know if such a filesystem even exists).

          Well, I can think of such a one. It's called "becrypt" such as described
          here:-

          http://www.becrypt.com/emea/Products/disk-protect

          Regards, Jerry McCarthy, U.K.
        • mrkcoconnell
          Message 4 of 27 , Apr 1, 2010

            • Jye
              Message 6 of 27 , Apr 2, 2010
                Message 7 of 27 , Apr 2, 2010
                  Message 8 of 27 , Apr 3, 2010
                    I have found a few interesting notes about the MD5 password hash in the shadow file from RH Security guide. Network Information Service or NIS (aka Yellow Pages) passes password hash in clear text. A cracker monitoring this traffic could collect enough hashed passwords to have a good shot at cracking passwords. Improperly configured networks make this possible.

                    As to the "legal" issues, you would have to have authorization to make cracking attempts on a network. Uncovering security weakness in an organization is a vitally important job for a cyber security professional. The recommended practice is to have that authorization in writing. As for me, I have a home linux network that I am using to prepare for my security certification. I am running Ubuntu, CentOS, RHEL, and WindowsXP.