Re: [linux] Notebook With Ubuntu

  • J
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 19, 2010
      On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 07:26, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:

      > Probably.  Ubuntu, Fedora, and the other desktop distributions, however,
      > in their neverending quest to be like Windows, tend to have higher
      > hardware requirements with each release.

      FWIW, Lucid runs fairly well on my VMs with a single processor and
      between 385 and 512MB RAM...

      Granted, it runs MUCH better on more, but it's a least usable, if slow
      sometimes, on less memory...

      Either way, as Scott has said, you should get the best you can afford.
    • Alexandru Fira
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 19, 2010
          I think it would be a very good thing to install one or more desktop environments and window managers that are faster.  XFCE and LXDE can be instaled by:

        sudo aptitude install xfce4sudo aptitude install lxde
         in the Terminal.
         I would not recommend the Xubuntu desktop:
        sudo aptitude install xubuntu-desktop

                                                            Alex

        Phone number: 004-0364412643

        Mobile phone number: 004-0770607699

        Messenger ID: firaalexandru

        Skype ID: alexfiracluj

      • Alexandru Fira
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 19, 2010
            I would also recommend using a lightweight and fast browser. I use several browsers. right now I am using Google Chrome:
          http://www.google.com/chrome
           There are several other lightweight browsers, some are in the repositories, like Midori, Epiphany, Seamonkey.

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 19, 2010
            On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 15:36, Alexandru Fira <firaalexandru@...> wrote:
            >   I would also recommend using a lightweight and fast browser. I use several browsers. right now I am using Google Chrome:
            > http://www.google.com/chrome
            >  There are several other lightweight browsers, some are in the repositories, like Midori, Epiphany, Seamonkey.

            You dont' get much more lightweight than w3m, or perhaps lynx or links.... ;-)

            http://w3m.sourceforge.net/
            http://lynx.isc.org/
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Links_%28web_browser%29

            And what's wrong with Xubuntu? it ran fine on a VM at 384MB RAM...

            Also there are other variant distros like #!CrunchBang that use
            busybox and run pretty well on smaller platofrms.